+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Sindragosa Hard

Icecrown Sindragosa Hard

You can find a guide to the normal version of this encounter here!

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the heroic mode 10-man version of the Sindragosa encounter. I will assume that you're familiar with the normal version of this encounter. If you're not, I suggest first watching our guide to the 10-man normal mode to learn about Sindragosa's base abilities.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

Sindragosa comes equipped with approximately 14 million health in her heroic incarnation - that's roughly 3 million more than her normal 10-man version sports. This means you'll most likely be faced with an additional air phase.

To this fight we bring two tanks - one of them with a frost resist gear set, although that's by no means a necessity it seems to help us out a little in phase 2 - 3 healers and 5 DPS. I would not recommend attemping this fight with two healers until you greatly outgear it, just because of the RNG of ice tombs in phase 2.

Naturally, Sindragosa hits harder and all her abilities deal more damage. Her frost aura deals 4500 instead of 3000 damage every 3 seconds, her frost breath deals roughly 40000 unmitigated damage instead of 30000 - and Blistering Cold and Frost Bombs do 45k damage and will instantly kill any non-tank if hit.

The main mechanic change done to this encounter will become obvious to you straight away. The debuff inflicted by Unchained Magic - Instability - now deals 20 yard AoE damage when its timer is up. Naturally, you want to avoid blowing up your entire raid on top of all the other raid damage that's already going on, so to counter this mechanic we have our raid pile up at the bottom of the entrance stairs to Sindragosa's Lair while people afflicted by Unchained Magic move further up the stairs to the left and right of the other raid members.

Fortunately, thanks to a recent in-game hotfix Instability now only lasts 4 seconds instead of its original 8 second duration, so handling the debuff got a lot easier, especially for healers.

The real test in this encounter, as in the normal version, is phase 2. This is where positioning and on-the-fly-thinking becomes crucial. To handle Unchained Magic and ice tomb placement at the same time, we have four different spots assigned. Tombs are alternately placed to the left and right of the raid pile and Unchained Magic targets, as before, move to the left and right further up the stairs.

It is of utmost importance not to let your instability stack high in phase 2. Frost Aura and Mystic Buffet combined already deal a lot of damage as the stack grows, you don't want to add a huge AoE explosion on top of that. This phase is all about survival, not max DPS.

Another difficulty you'll be faced with in phase 2 is tank switches to reset Mystic Buffet and the RNG of healers getting encased in ice tombs or afflicted by Unchained Magic. Good communication is crucial. Your tank healer should aim to only reset his or her stacks on every second or third ice tomb, and make sure to call out when he or she does so another healer can temporarily take over tank healing.

Tank cooldowns should be utilized if you get unlucky enough to, for instance, have one healer encased in an ice tomb while another one is dealing with Unchained Magic. As mentioned, communication is key in phase 2. If your raid doesn't work as a team, deaths are very likely to happen.

No other changes have been made to this encounter, but you'll find that introducing an AoE explosion on a fight that favors stacking up will introduce an array of new problems - and potentially a lot of hatred for your shadow priest that loves stacking up Instability and then realizes Dispersion wasn't up. Good luck!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!
    Last edited by Aliena; 03-02-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Frost Resist

Hey Aliena, thanks for the wonderful strategy guide. I was wondering how much frost resist your did your FR tank equip himself with, ignoring aura/totem/flasks of any kind.

Thanks!

I'm also curious what you might use besides the ony ring and hat, and possibly some enchants. the ilvl 200 crafted stuff is a huge step down as far as all the other enchants and its pretty hard to keep defense capped in ICC gear. (though i could pull out my TOGC set and be WAY over def cap even it i was wearing every piece of crafted frost resist gear, i'ld still get an earful from my healers when we work on a new hardmode and suddenly i have several thousand fewer HP.)

I went on their server and asked Mitosis. He/She said their Feral Tank uses about 600 FR while the warrior tank has about 150-200. Going to try tonight with 530 FR def capped as a DK tank to see how things go.

isnt the FR cap around 415? or i'm wrong here?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

New resist system was introduced with this expansion

can someone explain how the 25man version of this hardmode would be and what the frost resist is actually used for.

Don't use frost resist on the 25 man hard mode version, it is not worth it she melees way way to hard and you will die to a melee swing long before being killed by a breath. Little things like 20 FrR to cape, leatherworkers getting the 70 resist to bracers, the FrR helm enchant instead of the def/stam one, the ony ring(s) (2 would be really good for this fight a nice combination of resist and armor), and unfortunately most people feel inclined to use double stam trinkets which lowers your armor even more before even putting on any resist, and of course a resist flask, and maybe maybe maybe maybe the crafted resist ring with 100ish stam and a socket. But the armor and avoidance loss from using the belt, boots, and chest is just way to much to give up with how hard her 25 hard mode melee swings hit for (oddly my health actually goes up as a druid when I equip those 3 pieces but I lose a lot of armor and avoidance)

The breaths are only deadly after about a 6-7 stack, which should really never happen, especially now since they removed taunt DR from the encounter as noted by a recent patch note. As soon as you clear go out and taunt immediately.

So, our 10 man usually runs with 3 melee, 3 ranged, 3 heals, with 1 of the melee popping CDs and tanking the boss long enough for a tank to clear stacks. Our healing setup is disc priest/holy pal/resto shaman. Our current problem is once phase 3 begins the damage quickly becomes unhealable. We have people dying within 15 seconds in phase 3, almost always 1 or 2 melee, and I'm assuming this is because they are letting Chilled to the Bone stack too high. What is the amt of stacks they should be getting before clearing them? I am also pretty sure we have carryover unchained magic blowing up the raid. It seems the only way to deal with this is to have a healer stand 20 yards away and heal the raid, but then that healer's stacks of the buffet are getting too high. Could you give me a better idea of the healing aspect of this fight?

Where is the donor download?

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Don't use frost resist on the 25 man hard mode version, it is not worth it she melees way way to hard and you will die to a melee swing long before being killed by a breath. Little things like 20 FrR to cape, leatherworkers getting the 70 resist to bracers, the FrR helm enchant instead of the def/stam one, the ony ring(s) (2 would be really good for this fight a nice combination of resist and armor), and unfortunately most people feel inclined to use double stam trinkets which lowers your armor even more before even putting on any resist, and of course a resist flask, and maybe maybe maybe maybe the crafted resist ring with 100ish stam and a socket. But the armor and avoidance loss from using the belt, boots, and chest is just way to much to give up with how hard her 25 hard mode melee swings hit for (oddly my health actually goes up as a druid when I equip those 3 pieces but I lose a lot of armor and avoidance)

The breaths are only deadly after about a 6-7 stack, which should really never happen, especially now since they removed taunt DR from the encounter as noted by a recent patch note. As soon as you clear go out and taunt immediately.
    So we're about to start working on this Hard mode next week and it was asked by our RL/GM to put together frost resist sets for every member of the raid. Your comment was made 6 weeks ago around the time of the 10% buff if Im not mistaken... Does the current 20% change the necessity of frost resist gear? Realistically.. what is the magic number you would shoot for (just from gear, no totems/auras/outside buffs) for all roles?

We used 2 pieces of FrR on the dps worked fine on 10man this was with the 15% buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    New resist system was introduced with this expansion
    But i remember for Hodir in 25m the tank was asked to have 415, did that change for ICC?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

So we've been running this for 2 weeks now and we just can't progress through it. Heroic Putricide was cake compared to p3 of this encounter...My question is how do you guys handle the healing in phase 3...our healers say that its just unhealable.

We run with 3 heals
    Resto Druid
    Disc/Holy Priest
    Holy Paladin

2 Tanks
    DK
    Warrior

5 Dps
    Boomkin
    Warlock
    DK
    Rogue
    Hunter

is it normal for everyone to have like below 10k health the entire final phase? becuase its like as soon as she hits 35 % the healers just can't keep up with the healing. This week i brought my boomkin, and i found myself casting regrowth and rejuv on myself just because the healers were more concerned with keeping the tanks alive than the rest of the raid...any suggestion would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! thanks

you need to have your raid specialized healers focus on healing the raid, maybe even have your pally beacon whoever is tanking and heal the raid as well, if your entire raid is not being able to be kept up it's likely that they aren't dropping their mystic buffet debuffs fast enough. The amount of damage done in p3 is not trivial and clearing the debuffs on it are crucial to keeping people alive, so it's part of your healers problem and part of your dps' problem to make sure they're clearing as often as possible without hindering their dps. Your healing setup is ideal for the situation, I'd say if your resto druid is really good at rolling hots on almost everyone having your priest go disc will be more beneficial because when he's not stress healing the tanks he can bubble everyone in the raid.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Get a Resto Shaman instead of the priest, The buff is nice... But imo Resto Shamans are better healers. Save the Holy Pally for the tanks, And the tree and shaman for the raid. Thats what my buddy uses and he downed Seindragosa on Hardmode couple nights ago.
    Horde | Lightning's Blade | Lazurin | Holy Paladin
    "Freedom isn't free, But the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Couple things: 1) if there are large gaps in the vid, unless it's critical that you show repetitions of fight mechanics (run out, run in, LoS Bombs, etc) you may want to crop up the vid to cut down on time and filesize.
    2) You also may want to talk to your guild about not putting childish/offensive things in their /say, especially if you choose to have Chat Bubbles up. Not everyone likes seeing a giant ASCII penis when watching what they think is a fairly professionally done strat vid.
    3) I suppose it might be too much to ask for different guides based on raid role, aka a Tank perspective, dps perspective and healer perspective vid? Or at least cover the different roles in the voiceover strat? "Melee dps should focus on...., Tanks should make sure they...., healers need to pay attention to....", etc.
    "In my opinion, the existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
    - Dr. Manhattan, Watchmen

How much did you let instability stack on ranged in phase 2 and how much of mystic buffet on tanks in phase 2

Quote Originally Posted by Steelara View Post
    How much did you let instability stack on ranged in phase 2 and how much of mystic buffet on tanks in phase 2
    Mate we make sure range or healers do not cast when they receive Unchained Magic, If they dont cast at all and dont get any Instability they dont have to run out as with 0 stacks you do not explode, this is especially good for blistering cold, as when we where learning this fight we had a few wipes due to range/healers casting and blistering would happen and they would explode killing people haha. we learnt just to not DPS or heal at all.

For tanks, the OT will drop his stack at start of P2 and taunts boss, MT runs out and clears his stacks and taunts.
    We decided to keep Fast tank switches as the damage he does on Heroic is pretty hefty.
    I main tank the HM with full FrR gear and never have been instagibbed yet using this strat.
    We decided all our dps/healer team to not wear any FrR gear as the AOE dmg wasnt making that much of a difference, we got this down after 12 attempts and seeing 7 1-5% wipes.

Thank you 30% buff. We one shot it on our first attempt ever on 25 man. We had been putting it off for about 2 months because of not having enough healers and struggling to recruit them. The buff allowed us to 6 heal it seeing how we were one healer down almost the whole fight. It feels like cheating, but hey, it's done!

If anyone else was sitting in our short on healers boat, just go try it now. Kinda wish we had attempted it earlier now. Oh well.
    Last edited by Jamarina; 07-27-2010 at 12:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread