+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mana issues as Resto Shaman

Mana issues as Resto Shaman

Hi all-

I have been having a bit of mana issues during icc and would like to fix it. I am not sure if it is a playstyle issue and I am just spaming heals way to much or if there is anything else I can do.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oth&cn=Aeliana

My main healing job is like most resto shamans 'keep an eye on everything', I have found myself using CH much more sense I got my 4 piece bonus (durring an average 25 man icc night the hot off the bonus accounts for about 18% of my total heals). Do I just have to become better at managing my mana and useing my totem, pot, trinket better? Or do I need to just slow down on the heal spamming and trust my other healers will be where they need to be.

Thank you for your responses.

My only real suggestion is speccing fully into the crit talent in the enh tree. 2% crit = 2% more mana from Imp Water Shield, which is a significant souce of mana returns.

Apart from that, one problem I majorly had when I picked up my resto shaman again was paying attention to my Water Shield uptime. It can fall off pretty quickly on some fights.

I agree with Harmancy. Take the two points out of imp. reincarnation and put it in thundering strikes instead, and use a mod (if you don't already) that can remind you to recast water shield when it expires.

Imp. reincarnation is really only helpful if you die a lot ... better not to die at all in the first place!

Your haste is a lot higher than mine, by about 16%. Perhaps too much haste? Worth thinking about, anyway...you could be so hasty, you're sniping heals from other healers. At the 21% or so haste I'm at, I get that complaint sometimes, even. :P

Letting your other heals get some heals in saves you mana.

There is never too much haste. Well, like, 3600 or so, your CH is capped. That might be too much. But other than that...

Anyway, there's no stat alteration that will help you. MP5 gives laughable amounts of mana regen, and Intellect, while good, isn't really worth gemming for. Ultimately, it comes down to playstyle. If you are sniping heals from other healers, then let them heal a little more. Don't go into a raid thinking you have to do everything, play to the other healers' strengths.

I have way more haste than you do, and rarely go out of mana, though I am an intensely efficient healer, and I can manage my cooldowns effectively. Keep in mind that not all damage needs to be instantly healed. If the raid takes a modest amount, pop a CH or two. Not everyone will be filled, but the rest of the healers can do that, and you might get yourself out of the 5SR for a tick or two. Make sure you Mana Tide early in the fight, many fights, you can squeeze another one out late. Carry a ton of mana potions. Ask for Innervates. Keep your Water Shield up.

All of that means way more than gemming in an extra 10 MP5 here or there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindralas View Post
    There is never too much haste. Well, like, 3600 or so, your CH is capped. That might be too much. But other than that...

Anyway, there's no stat alteration that will help you. MP5 gives laughable amounts of mana regen, and Intellect, while good, isn't really worth gemming for. Ultimately, it comes down to playstyle. If you are sniping heals from other healers, then let them heal a little more. Don't go into a raid thinking you have to do everything, play to the other healers' strengths.

I have way more haste than you do, and rarely go out of mana, though I am an intensely efficient healer, and I can manage my cooldowns effectively. Keep in mind that not all damage needs to be instantly healed. If the raid takes a modest amount, pop a CH or two. Not everyone will be filled, but the rest of the healers can do that, and you might get yourself out of the 5SR for a tick or two. Make sure you Mana Tide early in the fight, many fights, you can squeeze another one out late. Carry a ton of mana potions. Ask for Innervates. Keep your Water Shield up.

All of that means way more than gemming in an extra 10 MP5 here or there.
    You had me until:

Ask for Innervates.
    If you have to ask for an Innervate on a regular basis, something is wrong and you need to fix it.

Thanks for the replys. Switching those 2 points into thundering strikes made all the difference in the world.

There is never too much haste.
    My only point in suggesting "too much" haste, was that it's enabling him to (maybe) snipe heals. There is a temptation to just heal like mad because you can, and you would feel silly sitting a little idle (thus not taking full advantage of the haste). In that sense, it could be too much haste.

Or, he could just hold back a little -- the haste definitely helps in an emergency.

Comments on the two replies without quoting, because I'm a champ.

Asking for an Innervate is not a signifier that you're doing something wrong, and if the Innervate otherwise goes unused, it's a signifier that you're doing something right. I've never had to ask for one, but if I needed it, I wouldn't hesitate. Innervates are there for a reason, so use them. Yes, they're generally saved for Rebirths or for Arcane Mages, but if it's up, and you need it, it's probably more vital on you than on some DPS.

As for haste, the assumption generally is that if you're not spamming non-stop then haste isn't providing you any benefit, which is is actually the opposite of the case. When you're spamming heals, you're flatly outputting pure healing on a consistent basis. The difference in this case between 2.1 and 1.7 seconds is generally irrelevant. Boss damage isn't going to come in any faster than that, and if it does, you'll have another healing spamming as well which means your haste isn't doing you any good (throughput and longevity are much bigger issues in this case as well). When you're snipe healing, or topping off, the haste is a bigger deal because of the lower lead time on your heals. As a Shaman it's doubly important given that almost all your healing comes from cast times.

It's not that it enables you to feed more heals in a certain amount of time, but that it reduces the amount of time before the heal lands.

Being able to count on your other healers is a bit of a difficult thing to do. Generally speaking, when I'm with the healing corps I'm most comfortable with (a particular Holy and Disc Priest), I tend to relax more and punch holes. When one or both of them aren't around, such as a pug or an off night, I tend to take on a role of pure HPS output, becoming more of a brute force type of healer. It generally increases my overheal by around 10% or so, and nets me much higher rankings on the meters, but it gets things done.

Ultimately, it's those adjustments that you need to make, not gear adjustments.

It's not that it enables you to feed more heals in a certain amount of time, but that it reduces the amount of time before the heal lands.
    I just wish more people used haste that way.

Yes, well, to be frank, most healers are either people not terribly interested in playing anyway, or former DPS or Tanks who transfer over for some reason. It's rare to find an actual committed gamer who consistently heals, in any game. Because of that, most healers have a very skewed view of the dynamics at work in healing.

+ Reply to Thread