+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dk tank Having trouble on Festergut

Dk tank Having trouble on Festergut

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ndris&cn=Jadis

Basically my problem is surviabilty in the second phase before he sucks up all the gas and i need to pop all my cd's. Its funny because i can get through third phase with effective use of my cooldowns ok for the most part, but i sometimes have trouble surviving in the second phase and i cant really pop any cooldowns because i need them all in third phase.

I was if anyone else was having a little bit of difficulty with this, or if its just me or my healers, or what i can do to help with this.

also, a bit off topic, but im very confused as to what item to buy next with emblems. i didnt want to buy the gloves cause im hoping for the t10 to drop in voa. I was thinking maybe the crafted boots for my hit, because i hope to replace my sword with the expertise axe and that is going to kill my hit rating. But tbh hit isnt high on my list right now

Any help would be very appriciated and welcomed

One change you can make is getting rid of the horseshoe trinket (dodge is nothing to stack in ICC, and the on-use is terrible). I would recommend Glyph of Indomitability from Triumph badges, bonus armor is the secks in ICC. If you're getting hit hard during 0 stacks Festergut, I would say it's a healing issue not you.

Next I would buy the Cat chest. Lots of armor, lots of stam, lots of expertise - it's very very nice. Don't worry too much about hit rating unless you have threat issues (if your taunts miss, glyph it).

There are a few changes I would make with your spec, but I'm not very experienced with DK tanking so take the spec-specific stuff with a grain of salt. Imp Blood Presence does little for you, even if you're pulling 5k DPS, 4% of that is 200 HPS - not worth the talent points. You can spend those in Hysteria for the nice raid buff (throw it on a rogue in exchange for tricks? idk) or Morbidity for the threat boost. Or Rune Tap/Imp Rune Tap, a 20% heal every 30 seconds seems like a wonderful deal (maybe a take a few points out of Spell Warding for that, it seems like a less-than-stellar talent).

Good luck, and enjoy your WotN buff

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    I would recommend Glyph of Indomitability from Triumph badges, bonus armor is the secks in ICC.
    yea, i have that one, i was checking some numbers out and logged in the crappy trink. I also feel like my armor is a little low, i look at equally geared tanks that have thousands more armor then me. I know that i lose out a bit because i have no shield, but 30k armor in frost pres just seems a little small. and when i look at my armor on my char sheet it makes me wanna cry x.x

Evening so l had the same problem mate with that ugly fucker, :P anywhay we are dks and we take ALOT OF DAMGE ...../cry but if you start to tanking him the first 3 inhails then the next tank tount him (pala/warr/druid) cuse thay own dk tanks... then you tount back when he blow out all the gas then do the same thing over agin over and over,and if you got good dps then GJ hope for some good drops. And for the t10 hands and shuldrs first, but if you want to farm em from VoA then Leggs, chest and last the head,, Gl mate

I switch to a Frost build for Festergut. Frost has 38s worth of physical mitigation cd's, while Blood has 27s at best, or 22s if VB unglyphed. Festergut is a cd fight. (although, patch 3.3.3's buff to WotN may make Blood the better choice).

Also, the fight really tests the trust b/t the tank and healers. In Phase2, if you spike down below 50% and stay that way for more than 1s, you're probably going to blow a cd just out of muscle memory. If that happens in P2, then you won't have both cd's available when you really need it in P3, and you're gonna die. Some healers may not be aware of that, so make sure they know they need to be overhealing like crazy starting not on P3, but on P2 (or even P1 if its a problem too).

Regarding your build, that 1pt in Morbidity is not doing much for you. It's much better spent in Hysteria. Pop Hysteria on a Hunter/rogue/war/dk during Festergut to help down him a little faster.

How are ya'll tanking this guy? I tank him in both 25 and 10 icc and it is pretty rare that I would ever have both 2nd and 3rd inhale. You NEED all your cds for 3rd inhale. On a side note, the 3rd inhale is damn fun. So your first tank picks up and handles inhales 1 and 2, should be around 8 stacks at the end of 2nd inhale. You taunt, get your blood runes used up and then about 1 sec before first inhale i pop ibf. When that runs out i pop my vamp blood. Towards the end of that I pop my trinks, i ghoul sac, i rune tap and i call out for some healer cds. Then i take the 1st inhale of the new phase, which is no big deal. Other tank picks up for the 2nd and the boss is dead by this point.

We got him down, it was just taking some extra coordination from the healers. we even downed rotface on the second attempt =D. When it came to putriced, however, i was maintanking, doing great, no one had died, and then my internet completly cuts off x.x i was so upset i couldnt believe it. we got to the second phase where the tenticles come out too...

Taken from my guilds DK forums:

The issue will most likely result from mitigation. If I am to be tanking in blood for this I am going to need some variation of demoralizing shout... (Be it from a bird, feral druid, or warrior)

Stoneskin totem is also recommended.

Other recommendation is the idle tank, get behind the boss and dps (in low threat presence //form), there be no less then 2 dedicated tank healers during P3, and everyone be topped up when the boss is casting his exhale.

AMS and AMZ also work in the fight FYI.
    AMS encouraged to avoid 14k spikes during exhale...

Frost:

Frost tanks generally have the easiest time with this encounter due to the fact they can mitigate most of P3 with their IBF, and unbreakable armour, and use an indestructible potion which scales incredibly well.

Mitigation:
    7 stacks, on original tank,
    Eat Indestructible Pot (lasts 2 mins) then taunt at 8.
    PHASE 3:
    IBF (longer), UA, AoTD
    *prep ghoul, self heal as much as possible*
    AMS when exhale.

Unholy:

Unholy tanks have similar mitigation which can make the transition between tanks easier on the first switch due to bone shield. It can also be used again during PH3 to extend mitigation chaining like frosts improved IBF. AMZ is to be used after an exhale or during an exhale on group members close by to assist with group heals.

Mitigation:
    2 or so minute before pull: Prep Bone Sheild.
    7 stacks on original tank,
    Eat Indestructible Pot (lasts 2 mins) then taunt at 8.
    Soak with bone shield while healers switch tanks.
    PHASE 3:
    IBF, BS AoTD
    *self heal with ghoul, DS*
    Exhale:
    AMS yourself, and step forward and AMZ the melee group. Re-apply BS.
    Blood:
    Blood tanks are easier to heal, because of their talents they are healed more effectively, but lack mitigation. Normally an excellent pairing with a Holy Paladin who can provide them some mitigation for them. They primarily use IBF, Vamp Embrace to last through most of PH3, but as VE only increases the effectiveness of healing received it becomes tricky to keep them alive through intense damage. Mark of blood, rune tap, and death strike may assist in their survivability.

Events:
    7 stacks on the original tank,
    Eat indestructible potion, taunt at 8 stacks.
    PHASE 3:
    Mitigation:
    IBF, AoTD,
    *Pop healing related talents VE, Mark of Blood, DS and pray.*
    AMS when exhale.
    Health is king in this ecounter consider these bonuses if you do not have them already:

+30 stamina PvP Inscription(and resilience)
    selectively ignoring socket bonuses and re-geming all in epic stamina
    +18 stamina by dropping +2% threat on gloves. (Leatherworking patch)
    Last edited by Kuroi; 03-17-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

thank you so much kuroi and others who've posted. I'm pretty new but gotten eaten by this guy on a friendly guild's progression run. I do think the main problem with him is holding off popping cooldowns whatsoever until phase 3. Often when i spike pretty low i'll use a trinket or s/t in p2, which almost always ends up in me deadd. We were taunting at 9 stacks but i'm guessing that it's better to have one tank holding him for all of his big times in order to ease healers mind.
    If anybody has a minute to critique gear/spec, my armory's http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Muradin&cn=Irl

on a side note, it's pretty nice how smoothly pug raids in general can run, given proper sandpapering

Quote Originally Posted by Dimpen View Post
    Evening so l had the same problem mate with that ugly fucker, :P anywhay we are dks and we take ALOT OF DAMGE ...../cry but if you start to tanking him the first 3 inhails then the next tank tount him (pala/warr/druid) cuse thay own dk tanks... then you tount back when he blow out all the gas then do the same thing over agin over and over,and if you got good dps then GJ hope for some good drops. And for the t10 hands and shuldrs first, but if you want to farm em from VoA then Leggs, chest and last the head,, Gl mate
    I do not understand where statements like this come from, there is nothing suggesting we take more damage than anyone else. I tanked this last night with a warrior tank and even though there might be sme RNG involved here look at this report where I take a bit over 12k average hits from his melee attacks and the warrior tank takes closer to 15k average:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8...s=9846&e=10064

In fact I would say that as a frost tank I probably have it easier than most warrior tanks on this fight. Most tank deaths in this fight comes from healing misstakes (or not beeing used to having to switch gradually from raid healing to tank healing throughout the inhales). Tanks not using cds properly will kill them more or less immediately after the third inhale but whats easier to spot.

Also to the original poster, I have pretty much the same gear as you do and have no problems with this fight. Apart from the healers, you can also help out a bit on this fight by throwing in some Death Strikes in your rotation since threat is a non issue on this fight (well at least after a few stacks)

+ Reply to Thread