+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally/Druid/Holy Priest high hps tank heal rotations

Pally/Druid/Holy Priest high hps tank heal rotations

This is a bit of a weird request, but I'm hoping a few folks could take a couple seconds to lend a hand.

I'm building a small simulator to do some Monte Carlo simulations of tank health to investigate some parts of the old EH vs Avoidance debate. As a result, I need to build some simple models of incoming heals, as I'd rather not resort to a simplified 'tank gets healed to full within x seconds' or something similar.

While I've played as a disc priest and resto shaman healer, I've never healed seriously as a druid or pally, and it's been a very long time since I've healed as a holy priest. So I'm hoping a few folks from those classes could give me a hand and let me know what their standard 'rotation' (as much as I'm loath to use that term about healing) would be for keeping a single target up in a high damage environment where you don't have to worry at all about raid healing (i.e. how would you heal something like a single tank patchwerk fight).

Of some, though lesser, interest, what heals would you throw a tanks way as a raid or unassigned healer (I know I need to model, at least in a basic way single target healing/tanking, I'm trying to gauge how difficult modeling this kind of more normal multi-target healing would be).

A rough answer would be enough, I know the situations I'm asking about aren't completely realistic, but I think that's reasonable given that I'm trying to the effect of Tank stats rather than Healing efficiency, so a slightly idealized environment from a healing perspective shouldn't be a significant detriment.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone inclined to help out a washed up statistics jockey.

As a holy Paladin if I was just focusing on a single tank it would be Holy Light spam hands down. If I was unassigned then I would have beacon on the main tank and spam FoL and HS on the raid and HLs on the offtank in burst damage situations.

While I've played as a disc priest and resto shaman healer, I've never healed seriously as a druid or pally, and it's been a very long time since I've healed as a holy priest. So I'm hoping a few folks from those classes could give me a hand and let me know what their standard 'rotation' (as much as I'm loath to use that term about healing) would be for keeping a single target up in a high damage environment where you don't have to worry at all about raid healing (i.e. how would you heal something like a single tank patchwerk fight).
    Holy Paladins are almost always in this role. Although we can raid heal, we are greatly superior in single/dual target healing compared to most, and lack the ability to be as good as the other classes at raid healing. For a majority of the community, tank healing as a paladin is as simple as casting HL over, and over, and over, with your beacon and SS on whichever person was tanking since you're speaking of a single tank environment. I can't speak for a majority of the community, but I'd almost always assume that there will be a holy paladin healing the tank, sometimes two. We're just that good at it.

That means its safe to assume that the tank will get an average heal between 18,000 - 23,000 every 1.3 seconds in situations where the paladin is only concentrating on keeping them alive.

I can also speak only for 25mans, as I haven't even stepped foot in a ten man in probably weeks.
    || Tierax || ADELANTE-GUILD.COM - US ARTHAS (PVP) ||
    Healing Officer / Holy Paladin / Retired Protection Warrior

I'm hesitant to name healing 'rotations' too :P It just isn't right!
    Tierax is basically spot-on on paladins as far as 25s go. In 10s you probably couldn't count quite so much on a constant battery of Holy Lights raining down on the tanks, except in burst damage situations (a little more responsibility for raid healing, at least from my experiences). FoL, FoL, HS, HL would probably be an accurate model of how my healing usually goes, with one of those FoLs resetting the HoT on the tank. As Tierax mentioned, you'll also have to account for the absorption of Sacred Shield as well, maybe based on a Healing spellpower of ~3k and spec'd into Divine Sacrifice/Divine Guardian for increased absorption (no idea what the sp multiplier is for the absorption, sorry). So with my mid-level gear (most if not all iLvl 251+ from Badges and ICC10) my heals land on the tank as approx 7.2k, 7.2k, 9.5k, and 19k for a total of 42.9k incoming heals over ~5sec (a little under haste soft-cap) all while receiving absorption from SS and a 7.2k per 12sec HoT. Enough numbers for you?

edit: Re-reading your question, I guess this is all for naught if you were modeling a patchwerk-esque fight. Oh well.

Druid Heals

On my Druid; (2800sp and haste cap 400) I am usually assigned to raid heal. However on the rare occasion where I am tank healing I will open with Rejuvenation, slow stack life-bloom x3, Wild growth to cover light AoE (or just boost incoming heal), and Nourish. Rinse and repeat. Rarely do I use Regrowth unless the fight is spike intense due to cast time, but when warranted the boost to Nourish is very nice.

As raid heals I'm going to keep Rejuv on the tank/ tanks; usually lifebloom on myself, and reserve Wild growth for needed burst wherever appropriate (60% of the time on melee which will encompass the tanks as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruanamok View Post
    On my Druid; (2800sp and haste cap 400) I am usually assigned to raid heal. However on the rare occasion where I am tank healing I will open with Rejuvenation, slow stack life-bloom x3, Wild growth to cover light AoE (or just boost incoming heal), and Nourish. Rinse and repeat. Rarely do I use Regrowth unless the fight is spike intense due to cast time, but when warranted the boost to Nourish is very nice.
    Haste cap is not 400 as a druid. Its 856 in a non-CF build. Your assumptions about Regrowth are flawed. Its an excellent, swiftmend-able heal and hot.
    If I'm tank healing (or healing Sindragosa), I run glyphed Nourish, RR and SM. Prefer an 11/0/60 build for Living Seed, etc.
    I open with: Rejuv, Bloom1, Regrow, WG, Bloom 2, Bloom 3...Spam 1 sec nourishes & Swiftmend as needed. Refresh all hots (Lifebloom is ONLY rolled if tank dmg is consistent and the 1500-2000 hps is more needed than your mana pool) etc. etc.
    Last edited by SlickRick; 03-16-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: I kin spel gud.

Holy Priest "Rotation"

No such thing really but here's kinda how it goes down for me:

Circle of Healing: Top hps, but used *when* necessary not as a spam
    Flash Heal: Staple heal used on any raid member lower than 80% and tank taking any damage
    Renew: Up on all tanks at all times and any raid member who happens to draw aggro or take splash/aoe damage
    Prayer of Mending: Up on tank w/ aggro *every* CD
    Prayer of Healing: Used on parties as predictable damage comes in
    Binding Heal: Used as an alternative, quicker heal on tanks/ raid and survival modes
    Guardian Spirit: Survival only on tanks, unless the priest uses the worthless (IMO) GS glyph, then should be up at all times
    Divine Hymn: Survival cast *or* as an agreed upon rotation by other priests

Hope this helps

Healing is an artform, loosely based on raid/instance events, not rotations.
    For Holy Priests:
    Refer to Bodisapha's reply, it is well said.
    To all the healers, I salute you.

A good once every now and a again rotation for a Disc tank healer would be : PW:Shield, Penance, Mending, Greater heal.

without crits your are looking at around 35k healed in less then 4 seconds, for my self with +47% crit raid buffed and Icc 10% to shields and healing that number could easily top 60k with Divine Aegis factored in. Not sure exactly how much hps that is but its enough to fully heal an almost dead tank, the down side is you can only realistically use this if your cooldowns are off and the tank doesn't already have weakened soul though you could still shield someone else penance, flash or Gheal but the shear omph of those 4 combined is hard to beat.

I should note for these that are not aware both Penance and mending will not use up Borrowed time but Penance will make use of the haste so I can get off penance in 1.1 seconds and a greater heal to fallow it up to use up the remainder of BT.
    Last edited by CoolNitro; 04-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.

tbf I think the most accurate thing to do for all as healing is situational is go look at world of logs... dont do rotations butt do a hps by ability (and use the avrg hps from wol) as rotations changes on the go for all classes... paladins is maybe the only class that has a more spamy rotation tank healing.

personally as a shaman which you already know I use lhw for the minor dmg always have es and riptide up then use hasted hw's followed by lhw til riptide is up for 2 new hasted hw's when spike dmg hits also ns hw instead of lhw if its really bad (to catch up)

+ Reply to Thread