+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some advice

Looking for some advice

Hey all, my first time posting here. I love the this site with all it's information (Information overload).

I seem to be having problems healing in 10 man raids when ever there is a lot of movement. I am a holy pally and have been since I ding'd 80 long ago.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...dar&cn=Amilyne

Point in case, when I'm tank healing festgut or Rotface, I end up with a debuff and have to run out, by the time I run out and stop, the tank is dangerously low in health. I do throw a holy shock at him, but that's not enough. Now the other 2 healers are helping too but I'm not sure what I can be doing to improve my performance. I tend to heal mostly with flash heal to save on mana, but I think I'm gonna start learning to heal with holy light more as these fights are becoming increasingly difficult. The fights leading up to Festgut and rotface are no problem and I top the healing charts (not that it's a true measure of healing). When I enter these fights my healing seems to drop in half, is this a problem with paladins or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help

In a 10 man especially, both encounters are pretty much going to require using Holy Light. There's nothing you really can do about movement fights except to find ways to minimize your movement. On Festergut, for instance, you can put one of the healers at range and have everyone gather to them when the spores happen. If you get two spores at range, there's always someone other than the healer (or possibly a more mobile healer) that can move in while the designated collapse target never has to move. If you choose to be in melee with the tanks, you're going to have to deal with the possibility that you and a tank might get one and then you will have to run out. Depending on when this occurs, it's probably a pretty sure tank death, but you can still work out contingencies on any CDs not, for some reason, being reserved for 3 stacks to be used during such a time.

As far as Rotface is concerned. The damage is intense but nothing like Festergut at 3 stacks, or even 2 stacks. The other healers have to be able to pick up the slack if you have to run. I always kept my Paladin a bit at range, away from the group, so that I would have less distance to run. But it requires that you be more aware of Rotface's position so that you can move out of the slime cone.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiline_The_Palidan View Post
    the other 2 healers are helping too
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    The other healers have to be able to pick up the slack if you have to run.
    This is the problem and the resolution. Bottom line is an any given encounter there can be cases where a healer can not heal, or is less effective at healing. The other raid healers have to always be able to pick up the slack. This is why you don't have just one healer (well normally, Deathbringer for example can be solo healed).

While it is true, healers have their assignments.
    It is also true, healers [HELP] each other.
    It is a team effort and people need to be aware if part of their team is temporarily less effective.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Communication is key as well. Do you tell the other healers you're running in vent? Unfortunately, with the way damage is on those kinds of fights, by the time they notice that heals have dropped, the tank will be dead. Letting them know so they can pick it up right away is vital.

Thanks for the help!

We do communicate as things are happening, like when a healer is impaled or has a slime on them. The other healers are great at trying to pick up the slack, myself included. Even though I focus on the tank, I will and do throw heals to others. I just seems that for these harder fights in which I'm moving more, my healing ability seems to go down. I don't know if it's me or just the downside to a pally healer. Tonight I'm gonna try more Holy light heals and see how that goes.

Haste haste haste haste haste... You don't have enough. You are way below even the softcap of 670 which brings your FoL cast to 1 second. Your mana is also alarmingly low. There is a lot of heavy damage in ICC, and FoL simply doesn't cut it unless you have like 3600+ sp. Replace all your gems with +20 Int, replace your Libram with Renewal (ol' faithful), and find whatever gear you can with more haste on it. You are missing a lot of enchants on your gear, I hope that's due to an Armoury bug and not because you couldn't be bothered.

More haste means faster casts, means once you relocate there's less dead time. By dead time I mean dead raid members...

Okay, I will replace gems, I did just picked up some new gear and haven't enchanted it yet, but I will by next week. I know I need t have more haste but I'm not sure how to achieve that?

There's plenty of healing gear with haste. Pretty much what Vine is saying is this: Don't pick gear that has crit on it. Look for gear that has haste when it drops. Item Level does not matter. Unless the item gives a significant amount more int, etc... the haste on whatever you might have, or should have, is far better than the crit.

There's a Holy Paladin guide stickied at the top. I was only looking at solving any issues you might have had with movement, I didn't even consider to actually see whether or not your gear was an issue. With the resources on this site, we can make you an AWESOME Paladin healer (guarantees not included!)

I don't know if it's me or just the downside to a pally healer.
    Holy Paladins have the least mobility of any healers, the more we have to move the less effective we are. Yes we have HS, but it is simply not an effective heal and only an emergency button (and not very good at that job, either.)
    || Tierax || ADELANTE-GUILD.COM - US ARTHAS (PVP) ||
    Healing Officer / Holy Paladin / Retired Protection Warrior

I'm guessing that when it comes to gear, I fall into the trap of higher item lvl, the better or going for high score with gear score. I will have to pay more attention to haste. I have in the past and had my haste way up their, but it seem with all the new stuff dropping there is no haste on it.

If you go for 4pc t10 (hover: ||||) with the exclusion of the leggings (you can get the crafted ones or a drop in ICC), there is 206 haste rating on the gear. Which, looking at your gear, is a gain of 139 haste rating.

If you only go for the 2pc t10, grab the head and the chest, which gives you: 143 haste. Then grab the badge gloves, which gives you 64 more haste rating.

No matter which route you go, grab the crafted leggings another 92 haste.

4pc t10 would this give you 231 haste rating.

The alternative route gives you 299 haste rating.

Edit: If the crafted leggings are too rich for your blood, the Corrupted Silverplate Leggings off of Lord Marrowgar 10 are almost as good, you're only losing about 5 points of haste (and some other stats, but we're just talking about haste here).
    Last edited by Chamenas; 03-19-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Okay, thank you, I will start looking at the pieces you suggested.

Concerning Festergut, assuming you are standing with the melee, it should only be if both you and the current tank gets the spores you should ever need to run out and it is a rare case I believe. If this happens after two inhales you can either move as little as possible back (or maybe even have the tank back off a bit, although this we have never tried) and have the ranged come to you. There is no reason for you to run all the way out to the ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    Concerning Festergut, assuming you are standing with the melee, it should only be if both you and the current tank gets the spores you should ever need to run out and it is a rare case I believe. If this happens after two inhales you can either move as little as possible back (or maybe even have the tank back off a bit, although this we have never tried) and have the ranged come to you. There is no reason for you to run all the way out to the ranged.
    Hmm, intresting. Yes I stand in Melee when doing this fight. we have one spore run to melee and one run to range. If I get the spore for range, I run to range.

You can also try the strategy I suggested for Festergut, with the non-moving healer

We just downed Ferstergut last night and as the Holy Pally tank healer, I never once moved. Yes there might be the rare occasion when you might have to, but the other raiders can usually get around it. On another note, you CANNOT heal this fight with FoL unless there are two FoL pallys, and that is rare. I had to switch all of my gems, chants, glyphs, and even some gear around to go Holy Light. There is just too much raw damage being dealt to the tanks to risk having to rely on the other healers to keep the tanks up. Yes it's extreemly ineficient and you'll have a ton of overheals, but if the boss is dead and the tanks didn't die... I suggest reading some of the guids for pallys on this site and listen to what the others said above.

And yes, haste is very important. Mine is roughly around 700 (I gemmed some for it), and my FoL is just a hair over a second with my judgements of the pure up, while my HL is 1.39 seconds with all my talent procs going.

If two in the melee group get the spore, the tank healer is NOT the one who should be running! Have the other guy run to the ranged so you can keep doing your job.

I think I found a solution to the mobility thing... I now have a lvl 80 priest lol! I can't wait to try her out in 10 man's once she is geared.

Anyway, I will be sure to try these suggestions in this weeks raid. We do casual raid, only 3 days a week so it begins again on Tuesday (of course rumor is, it's patch day, which means anything goes). I am going to have to re gem myself for more int. so I don't go OOM in these fights.

Well quick update for you, first, thanks for the great advice!!

We have been able to do Rotface and Festergut no problem now and have just completed the Blood Prince Council and almost had Blood-Queen Lana'thel (12% left) on the first few attempts but we ran out of time.

It seems that Int. is the number one thing to gem for, as mana is a big concern for me, I'm not use to going OOM! With a little bit of planning and know when to pop divine plea, it works. Holy light is really the only way to heal this in my opinion as flash of light just doesn't cut it.

Thanks again all
    Last edited by Amiline_The_Palidan; 04-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
    If two in the melee group get the spore, the tank healer is NOT the one who should be running! Have the other guy run to the ranged so you can keep doing your job.
    Unless it just so happens to be the tank. >.>

That, my friends, is when RNG screws you.

+ Reply to Thread