+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okay, so what's next?

Okay, so what's next?

Nebadon, warrior tank on Shu'Halo

I've got decent gear and have made the runs on the dailies, tanking everything at least once, including Pit of Saron. I'm at the point now where I'm only doing the daily and the weekly to get Frost emblems, and then playing alts. The question is "What's next?" What raid/run/10/25 or whatever you want to call it should I be focusing on to get better gear? My philosophy is that every group needs 3 things - 1 good dps, 1 good healer, and 1 good tank. I don't want to tank a group that will fail because of me, so I have no problem trying to gear up. But where?

Your gear is good enough for Totc 10/25 or some OT in ICC 10 first wing. There's still a lot you can purchase with triumph badges, or get crafted that will be ups using triumph so you still want to grind out those heroics.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...alo&cn=Nebadon

I'd recommend speccing into Deep Wounds, this should give you enough threat to drop those hit and expertise gems in favor of more stamina. You also need 5/5 Anticipation. I'm not an experienced Warrior tank so I'll try not to delve too deep into talent specs, but I've done enough research to know that Cruelty is inferior to Deep Wounds as far as threat talents go.

Yeah there is still a lot you can do with your Triumph badges - those legs really need replacing (hold on to them for a block set though). I too think you are geared for ToC 10/25 and possibly the first wing of ICC 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...alo&cn=Nebadon

I'd recommend speccing into Deep Wounds, this should give you enough threat to drop those hit and expertise gems in favor of more stamina. You also need 5/5 Anticipation. I'm not an experienced Warrior tank so I'll try not to delve too deep into talent specs, but I've done enough research to know that Cruelty is inferior to Deep Wounds as far as threat talents go.

Yeah there is still a lot you can do with your Triumph badges - those legs really need replacing (hold on to them for a block set though). I too think you are geared for ToC 10/25 and possibly the first wing of ICC 10.

Deep Wounds? That would cost me 12 talent points just to get to, and 15 total. I don't think it's worth it, really. Also, I am 4/5 in Anticipation, so I'm not too worried.

Every blue slot I have has a stam gem, and with the few emblem of triumph upgrades I have made, I am now over 35k.

Quote Originally Posted by jh7468 View Post
    Deep Wounds? That would cost me 12 talent points just to get to, and 15 total. I don't think it's worth it, really. Also, I am 4/5 in Anticipation, so I'm not too worried.

Every blue slot I have has a stam gem, and with the few emblem of triumph upgrades I have made, I am now over 35k.
    You absolutely need 5/5 Aniticipation. 1% dodge per talent point is an extremely good deal, and will prevent a lot of damage. I know that in ICC avoidance is underwhelming, but it still is not something to be ignored - if you're in a position to gain a significant amount of avoidance (1% is significant) for little cost (1 point from a filler talent, or even an inferior defensive talent like Shield Spec), you should do it.

According to all the research I've read, Impale and Deep Wounds are significantly stronger than Cruelty as far as threat talents go, because of the high crit chance on your specials thanks to talents. Since you already have 8 points in the Arms tree, you would only need to remove points from Cruelty and then grab 2 points of filler. The tradeoff should be well worth it if you're having threat issues (and even if you're not, dealing more damage never hurts).

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    You absolutely need 5/5 Aniticipation. 1% dodge per talent point is an extremely good deal, and will prevent a lot of damage. I know that in ICC avoidance is underwhelming, but it still is not something to be ignored - if you're in a position to gain a significant amount of avoidance (1% is significant) for little cost (1 point from a filler talent, or even an inferior defensive talent like Shield Spec), you should do it.

According to all the research I've read, Impale and Deep Wounds are significantly stronger than Cruelty as far as threat talents go, because of the high crit chance on your specials thanks to talents. Since you already have 8 points in the Arms tree, you would only need to remove points from Cruelty and then grab 2 points of filler. The tradeoff should be well worth it if you're having threat issues (and even if you're not, dealing more damage never hurts).
    ^ This, absolutely this. No offense Nebadon, but your spec is really messed up. You should try -> http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItMxMdidIzsGo
    It is the typical cookie cutter spec atm, however the 2 points in puncture can be moved pretty much anywhere.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    ^ This, absolutely this. No offense Nebadon, but your spec is really messed up. You should try -> http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItMxMdidIzsGo
    It is the typical cookie cutter spec atm, however the 2 points in puncture can be moved pretty much anywhere.
    WoW i really botched my first reply not looking at the spec. Aggathon and Harm are correct. Part of playing that tank role is the mindset you always have to have the best gear you can obtain, the best gems, the best enchants ect. That also goes hand in hand with the most efficent spec. What both of them said is on the money.. right now there are rly only two specs for prot wars Deep Wounds (threat/dps) and Command/Demo (Survivability) spec both detailed in Aggathons guide.

The difference between the two, and this is from my personal experience, is about 1.5-1.7k dps and about 2.5k or more in TPS. Both of those specs work depending on your personal taste and synergy with your other tanks and raid. I like many others on here do not advocate cookie cutter builds because we hate customizing or personalization of someone's spec. It's due to over time tanks from all 4 classes have seen what talents are must haves and which are situational at best, useless at worse. From what I have seen as a constant, tank specs generally have the tightest talent builds allowing for the least amount of personalization. Thats just the current way things are.

You are definately able to deviate from the norm, just realize if you seek help cause things don't add up, you'll probably get more then a few replies that your spec needs to be changed to a more proven and stable build.

Thanks all for the info.

I have plenty of triumph badges, and didn't realize that there was some gear available at the smithy's. The 2 T9 pieces I now have were upgrades that were well worth it.
    I've moved a few gems around and now every slot has a gem that's either straight stam or half/half with stam. The new gems and gear have me up to 35.8k, and at this level that's a big boost. Hoping to get to 36k and once I get a frost emblem upgrade (or raid gear upgrade) I should be there.
    As for my tree, I'm now at 15/3/53, and I'm good with that. Holding aggro hasn't been an issue for a while, but at the next level I'll need all the dps I can muster. The extra point in Anticipation was worth it, also. Like I said, for the next lvl I need to be the best I can with the gear I have.

When you're not totally comfortable with what you have and you don't run with a guild, it's tough to get to the next level. The new dungeon finder makes it easy to get triumph badges (hence my abundance of them) but I am done with that level and wanted to move up. The worst words to see in my position, especially as a tank, are "gear check". I can't do anything about "knowing the fights" until I do the runs once, but with the changes I've made and words I've read, I'm no longer worried about flunking gear checks.

Thanks

Tanking is also about experience. While the 5-mans generally prepare you for nearly all the boss mechanics in the game, doing them on a 5-man scale and doing them on a 10/25man raid scale can be quite different. For that reason i'll suggest running some Trial of the Crusader runs, 10/25. With the gear available today, they're pretty easy to complete, very fast, has good drops on slots that cant be filled with emblem purchases, and more importantly, it'll give you the experience to work with a large number of people.

It's technically possible to gear up yourself in triumph gear/crafted gear and jump into ICC but i'd say the experience requirements of icc are much higher and some more raiding time under your belt before you hit that place would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fledern View Post
    Tanking is also about experience. While the 5-mans generally prepare you for nearly all the boss mechanics in the game, doing them on a 5-man scale and doing them on a 10/25man raid scale can be quite different. For that reason i'll suggest running some Trial of the Crusader runs, 10/25. With the gear available today, they're pretty easy to complete, very fast, has good drops on slots that cant be filled with emblem purchases, and more importantly, it'll give you the experience to work with a large number of people.

It's technically possible to gear up yourself in triumph gear/crafted gear and jump into ICC but i'd say the experience requirements of icc are much higher and some more raiding time under your belt before you hit that place would be good.
    Completely agreed. I'd start out in ToC 10/25 (and of course Vault and the weekly raid, just to get some frosties), and after a few runs of that you should be experienced enough to handle the first wing of ICC.

And

I can't do anything about "knowing the fights" until I do the runs once
    Well, you are on a site that's best known for having detailed written and video strategies for every boss encounter. Reading and watching the video is not the same as actually doing it, but it's very good to be prepared and understand the basic mechanics.

+ Reply to Thread