+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally tanking and Main hand Weapon

Pally tanking and Main hand Weapon

Hi all

Ok this MIGHT be a silly question but I need to find out. I have been tanking in heroics or late when not raiding. I aquired Frost Giant's cleaver a weapon from Icc. it has Agi of 62 stam of 47 AP of 94 Crit of 45 and armor pen of 35 i think. I also have the 232 tanking sword from h POS i think. the stam difference is only 30 and dodge/parry 31/21. now the damage the axe does is LOADS more.. 300 odd - 600 while the tanking sword do 200 - 400.

now if you are still with me lol (i would have linked them but not to sure how to do that as yet) does doing more damage raise threat faster? for dungons the extra stam and that is not worth it.. my damage has goes from 1400 ish to 1700+. in raids i use the sword for the extra stats for the sake of it but have been tempted to use the axe ( make my GS look better.. Bah to GS)

so in the end what to use.. axe or sword for tanking.. hmm the sword is 1.7 speed while the axe is 2.3 i think

It's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

so will the extra weapon damage generate extra threat? I know more pally threat comes from spells etc

Quote Originally Posted by khios View Post
    so will the extra weapon damage generate extra threat? I know more pally threat comes from spells etc
    I don't know the particulars but I can tell you the DPS is definitely higher than your tanking weapon, therefore I do believe you should see an increase. I don't think there's any issue with pallies needing faster weapons like warriors prefer for more heroic strike delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

its not so much the weapon damage that will up ur DPS, its more the proc from seals that ups ur damage by quite a bit.

say u have 2 weapons, both 245 ilvl, one is a 1.6 speed, the other is 2.6 speed. when u auto-attack, u will do the exact same damage with them, u will just see bigger numbers with the 2.6 weapon...

now, when u throw in seal procs, say SoComm, again, they will do the same damage, just the procs will be bigger from ur auto attacks with the 2.6 speed weapon

here's the kicker tho. ur shield of righteousness and judgements (assuming u have at least 1 point in JotJ) will proc extra SoComm procs.

having a slower weapon = bigger SoComm procs. therefore the seal procs u get from ur judgements and ur SoR attacks will also be bigger with the slower weapon. THEREFORE overall ur damage will be much higher with a slower weapon due to larger procs from ur judgements and SoR attacks

i use a Bloodvenom Blade(2.6 speed) for most encounters unless i really need the extra stam/armour, then i swap to Ardent Guard(1.5 speed)

prot pally DPS scales pretty well with slower weapons, ppl may/will question it, but its worth it. u dont always need to use a tanking weapon, unless u need it to remain uncrittable.

plus when u pull 5-8k on trash in HEROICS and do 4-5k overall, ppl are just like "WTF ur beating the dps?" /happy panda always good to beat them at their own game (fyi i run Hs with like 500 def and ~30% crit, good times)

all the maths etc is over at maintankadin, i would link it but im pretty sure im about to pass out at my desk :S think its time for bed

anyways, hope that helped..

Vin

edit* hurr durr didnt directly answer ur question >.> yes, more HOLY (seal procs, standard abilities etc) damage = more TPS
    Last edited by Vindicatar; 04-09-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: tired + replying = GG vin
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1341818.jpg
    " 'Thin' is a relative term..."

legends yeah I am way over def cap .. been thinking of slotting some DPS gear in for heroics.. specially the non ICC ones.. .. might try chase 3k DPS tomorrow for something to do

to correct the poster above, Hammer of the Righteous damage is based on weapon DPS, not weapon damage. The seal damage that proccs off it is weapon damage based.

My HotR with Last Word hits like a truck

This post on Maintankadin does a comparison of weapons (warning, lots of maths)

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic#p537785

TLDR: The ICC weapon is superior for TPS
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    to correct the poster above, Hammer of the Righteous damage is based on weapon DPS, not weapon damage. The seal damage that proccs off it is weapon damage based.

My HotR with Last Word hits like a truck
    <-- ??

i didnt mention HotR and its damage mechanics....

HotR will always scale with the ilvl of the weapon, as the higher in ilvl u go with weapons, the higher the DPS of the weapon. the OP did not ask for weapon damage per second, he wanted to know if a slower weapon would yeild higher dps gains.

and besides, last word is an ilvl 264 weapon, and ill assume u have at least the 2set T10 ( 20% HotR damage increase) if u have that weapon. ofc HotR is going to hit like a truck for u ~_~

and AFAIK HotR doesnt proc seals as it is classed as a ranged attack, which is why i chose to ignore it. ofc i could be wrong and the first hit of HotR will trigger seal procs, but i do know that the bounces of HotR DO NOT trigger seals.

Vin

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicatar View Post
    <-- ??
    and AFAIK HotR doesnt proc seals as it is classed as a ranged attack, which is why i chose to ignore it. ofc i could be wrong and the first hit of HotR will trigger seal procs, but i do know that the bounces of HotR DO NOT trigger seals.
    They do indeed proc seals, both the first hit and the bounces too.
    Toss on SoR or SoV and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by khios View Post
    Careful. Pally threat comes from Holy Damage.Their abilities scale with melee damage, and the abilities do holy damage, so...

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Jere is right. Bouncing HotR to spread ticking SoV is part of the reason why Pally AoE is so strong. While potentially stronger than the DoT from DK diseases, it takes time and effort to build it up to its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    yes, i know that SoV/C is spread around with HotR, im just unsure if SoComm is triggered from all the HotR bounces, and not just the initial hit

Well you had said it didn't proc seals. You didn't specify you meant only one of them, so I misunderstood.

SoC is triggered, but I don't think it double dips (I.E only 1 proc per mob rather than up to 3 per mob)

yer, sorry bout that, should have been a lil bit clearer in my post :S

+ Reply to Thread