+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hunter DPS Help

Hunter DPS Help

Ok I need the assistance of all Pro Hunter players. One of our guild members who raids with us is serverely lacking in the DPS department. Whilst gearscore is crap it does give me the indication that her dps should be pretty decent. Currently her gearscore is 4.8K and her DPS is lucky to get over 2k DPS (max 2.4k in rare occassions)

She runs in Survival spec and her pet in defensive mode.

Here is her armory details
    http://http://www.wowarmory.com/char...7Thos&cn=Charu

If someone can take a look at the gear and talent points and advise if there are anything that stands out that could be the cause of the low dps figures.

I have never played a hunter and have little knowledge of how this class operates. So any advice you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Just from eyeballing the armory she's using a bow from naxx10, missng a belt buckle for a gem slot, using 85 AP to weapon instead of Savagery, and PvP helm & shoulder enchants so that is hurting her dps. Also she's using the wrong meta gem, should be +21 agi / +3% crit damage. Of course, I don't think those few things would limit dps by massive amounts so it's most likely lack of proper rotation.

http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t90607-s..._hunter_3_3_a/
    Last edited by GŁth; 02-18-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    Jalousie: Two ovaries walk into a bar.
    "Hey, can we get some cervix over here?"

After a look over the armory post you provided it looks like there are two possible problems.

1. The first problem is most definitely the talents.

The post provided by the above poster has many good talent specs that you can use. Aimed shot is a good part of any survival hunters rotation.

2. The rotation might be off

This one I can't tell you for sure but I can provide the rotation for you. Assuming that she changes her talents and gets aimed shot I would recommend this priority.

Kill shot > Explosive shot > Black Arrow > serpent sting > Aimed shot > Steady shot

Being as she is also an engineer I would recommend the hand mounted pyro rocket for the gloves. When I was survival I macro'd the use of the hand mounted pyro rocket with my explosive shot. Explosive shot generally is the shot that is fired the most as survival and so it generally was used near every CD and provides a bit more dps than the AP enchant.

/cast explosive shot
    /run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX","0")
    /use 10
    /run SetCVar("Sound_EnableSFX","1")
    /script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE");

This is the macro I used. The hand mounted pyro rocket is on your gloves which is equipment slot 10. Also, by putting the /use after the actualy cast of explosive shot, you will always see the CD for explosive shot on your bar.

One last thing that I mentioned in another post. I'm not personally sure but I personally like the +20 agility gems over the 10 agility 15 stamina. I haven't tried using those in survival but every small gem/enchant change you make you can check out at

www.femaledwarf.com

You can calculate your dps using this interface. I have just started using it in the past two weeks and have found small dps increases for each individual gem I change. Best of luck to your friend.
    Last edited by Atromar; 02-24-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: edited to put serpent sting in front of aimed shot

A 4.8k GS is not bad at all and she could be doing 4k dps on low movement stand and shoot targets. That said, her spec has issues. Here's my hunter Wharfrat, both my survival and MM specs are pretty vanilla http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...za&cn=Wharfrat. I would suggest she just copy them; she shouldn't take other talents cause she "thinks" their better; trust me on this, I can put out some dsp. Once she knows her toon better she can experiment, but for now just trust me on this. Then respec her pet; my puppy, ChinaCat's, spec is pretty common. Ghostcrawler described a hunter's pet the best, it's a DoT and you don't want DoTs being defensive - plus why would you spec a Ferocity pet defensive.

Next, two addons for her to get, ZugZug Hunter since she'll spec into improved tracking - it will automatically change tracking to take advantage of the 5% bonus. Also, she should get Watcher to program in her rotation so the shots to take scroll across the screen as they come off cooldown. In Survival her rotation should be Black Arrow, Explosive Shot, Aimed Shot, Serpent Sting, Steady Shot; then Explosive Shot as it comes off cooldown; rinse and repeat.

Also, I personally like socket bonus's; I won't just stack Agility - Blue slots are purple Agility and Stam; and Yellows are orange Agility and Crit; but if she want to stack Agility she can.

Lastly, a new weapon would help, but even with what she has she can knock some nice dps.

I can't vouch at all for the purple gems because I don't use them especially for survival since there are talents to cause stamina to increase AP.

About the improved tracking, I've heard conflicting things about it. Some people try to say that as long as you're tracking one of the specific mob types that it will do 5% increase damage no matter which one. However this is just my personal experience, it really seems that if I'm not tracking the right mob I feel like my dps is lower. I don't really understand the wording of the talent so if you know that for sure then that would be awesome because I think that you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Atromar View Post
    I can't vouch at all for the purple gems because I don't use them especially for survival since there are talents to cause stamina to increase AP.

About the improved tracking, I've heard conflicting things about it. Some people try to say that as long as you're tracking one of the specific mob types that it will do 5% increase damage no matter which one. However this is just my personal experience, it really seems that if I'm not tracking the right mob I feel like my dps is lower. I don't really understand the wording of the talent so if you know that for sure then that would be awesome because I think that you're right.
    I don't know what happens when I'm not tracking the correct mob ,because ZugZug Hunter automatically changes my tracking for me based on my target; so with the addon it's hands free.

+ Reply to Thread