+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you level a Prot Warrior?

How do you level a Prot Warrior?

I want to level a prot warrior from scratch. Oddly enough, its hard to find info on how to do this, especially for the lower levels.

There are certainly talent builds out there, but they seem to focus mostly on the 70 to 80 journey, rather than the full 10-80. As such, I'm confused about which talents to take first.

So, would any of you recommend weaving my way through the entire prot tree first, or would you think it better to pick up the arms talents beforehand?

The character will be doing 50% questing/50% tanking low level instances via the new dungeon finder tool, as he goes up.

Well I leveled up from 10-80 only as prot, and I skilled my way to the normal 15/5/51 built I use now, starting with the 51 points in the Protection Tree. I had very much fun leveling as prot, I believe more than I would ever have leveling as Fury or Arms (I leveled together with my girlfriend, she played heal druid).

So my suggestion to you, start with Protection Tree the whole way.

Here is a sample talent build. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZZMIbbxcdikIdsGo up to lvl 60. You could just follow the path.

If you are going through LFD then this should get you by. As I am leveling my alts I don't really see tanks die, this may just be my groups though. You should try to do as much damage while keeping yourself alive.

Warriors are awesome in lower level dungeons and the healers seem to love them, I know my warlock does.

I recently wrote a guide for this and posted it on the official forums. Take a look at it. I'd post it around here but am not sure if it's too rudimentary or too rough or whatnot. Anyway, hope it helps. It's all about leveling from pretty much scratch as prot via the dungeon finder.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...93139760&sid=1

Thanks! That looks very helpful, and pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

I leveled Prot from 10 and am now 55. I started with 5/5 shield spec, then went down the tree getting all the defensive focus talents. I followed a cookie cutter spec the whole way. I suggest getting glyph of revenge and glyph of battle till 50, then swap to devastate and blocking. Once you get warbringer and devastate you'll be near unkillable. At 50, i could solo 55s in ungoro with little issue. I can now do 4 55s at 54 with little health problems at all. My toon is tankabelle on sentinals if you want to check me out. I'm nearly 55 now.
    yes, i am a bit twinked, but what else is there to do with an 80 hunter? LOL

Pointy end goes in the bad guy.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

how do you level a prot warrior? respec arms ::RIMSHOT::
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    how do you level a prot warrior? respec arms ::RIMSHOT::
    Ba da bum!
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

My favorite part about this thread is... The OP is just rolling a tank and where is the first place they go? Tankspot! Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

I'd recommend 100% LFG leveling as Prot, unless there's something you want from quest rewards. You can chain pull groups so you're never rage-starved, and always have heals. It's ideal.

Questing as prot isn't bad, just make sure to pull at least 3 mobs for rage, and train First Aid and Cooking for minimal downtime. But in my experience (leveled Prot 40-70 so far), LFG is more fun.

dont know how it is on the low levels , but after 60 prot is great

I too leveled the entire way Prot, almost entirely via questing. Honestly, when I started I really just wanted to carry a shield. Over time, I got so accustomed to the play style that I didn't want to change.

I would echo what Kurtosis says though: make sure you have first aid and cooking. I went through a TON of bandages, especially in the mid-high levels. According to the armory, I used more Heavy Netherweave Bandages. By 60, I had finally learned the hard way to make and use bandages to keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread