+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Icecrown Blood Princes Hard

Icecrown Blood Princes Hard

You can find a guide to the normal version of this encounter here!

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the heroic mode 25-man version of the Blood Prince Council encounter. I will assume that you're familiar with the normal version of this encounter. If you're not, I suggest first watching our guide to the 25-man normal mode to learn about the Princes' base abilities.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

First of all, I'm sorry for the slightly limited view you get at the start of the fight, but there are really no positioning changes compared to the normal mode, so it won't affect this guide.

The raid setup you're comfortable using for most other fights will do just fine for the heroic council. Personally, for us that means 6 healers, 3 tanks and 16 DPS. The Princes have a shared health pool of 30.5 million compared to their normal 22.5 million, which means a health gain of approximately 35%.

The most noticable change to this encounter is that any movement will put a stacking debuff on you called Shadow Prison. For every second you keep moving, Shadow Prison will inflict an additional 500 shadow damage per second. To illustrate it better, if you've been moving for 10 seconds straight, you take a 5000 damage tick, the next one will be 5500 damage, etc, until you remain still for 10 seconds to let Shadow Prison wear off.

You take absolutely no damage while remaining still, so there's no reason anyone should ever die to Shadow Prison. This greatly limits movement for anyone but the Keleseth tank that can basically move freely to collect orbs thanks to the shadow resistance they provide.

In addition to hitting harder, most of the Princes' abilities will also deal more damage.

Glittering Sparks will inflict 21k damage over 10 seconds and reduce movement speed by 40% for the duration, compared to its normal 20% and 12k damage. You might want to have a mass dispel assigned to your melee team should they get hit by Glittering Sparks while Valanar is empowered, so they're able to move in time for Empowered Shock Vortex.

Conjure FLame will hit for 12k instead of 7k and Empowered Flames can easily kill someone if their size is not reduced and/or people are clustered around their target.

Shadow Lance will hit for 20k and Empowered Shadow Lance for roughly 100k unmitigated, which is why it's recommended to put a regular tank class on Keleseth instead of a ranged tank.

Kinetic Bombs will be summoned closer to the ground and will drop faster. If you're used to just having pets deal with them, you'll more than likely need additional ranged raid members spread around the entire room to help keep them afloat. Should a bomb hit the ground, it can easily mean a raid wipe as they inflict roughly 22k physical damage. Not to mention everyone has to relocate to their former spots afterwards, which will stack up the Shadow Prison debuff to undesirable amounts. In short, don't let Kinetic Bombs hit the ground, ever.

Shock Vortexes inflict 12k damage on top of the knockback when you're within 12 yards of one and Empowered Shock Vortex will deal 8k damage per person - that means chaining empowered shock vortex to more than 2 people will probably cause multiple deaths, so it's crucial all raid members are spread out for this ability. Especially melee need to watch their shadow prison stacks so they're able to move for empowered vortex without killing themselves in the process.

That sums up the changes that occur. By its nature, this is a very messy fight. What we had to figure out to beat this encounter was to assign and spread out ranged DPS properly to make sure no kinetic bombs ever hit the ground and to have our melee watch their shadow prison debuff and properly spread out for empowered shock vortex, the rest of this fight pretty much remains the same.

Disc priests and holy paladins are very effective healers for this fight.

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!
    Last edited by Aliena; 02-24-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks for the Video
    When you say
    Shadow Lance will hit for 20k and Empowered Shadow Lance for roughly 100k unmitigated, which is why it's recommended to put a regular tank class on Keleseth instead of a ranged tank.
    Why exactly do you use a regular tank? Considering a warlock with sufficient gear and specc will have something like 70% damagereduction against shadow (before resistances!) and about 45k health (PvP equipment and highstamina rings/trinkets).
    so if he takes a full 100k hit without any nuclei (unlikely but lets consider the worst case) he will still be alive with about 15k health.

As i see it a special warlocktank would be much easier to heal and will have less trouble collecting the nuclei, on top of that the uptime of nether protection will even be higher than in normalmode because of shadow prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincy View Post
    Thanks for the Video
    When you say
    Why exactly do you use a regular tank? Considering a warlock with sufficient gear and specc will have something like 70% damagereduction against shadow (before resistances!) and about 45k health (PvP equipment and highstamina rings/trinkets).
    so if he takes a full 100k hit without any nuclei (unlikely but lets consider the worst case) he will still be alive with about 15k health.

As i see it a special warlocktank would be much easier to heal and will have less trouble collecting the nuclei, on top of that the uptime of nether protection will even be higher than in normalmode because of shadow prison.

The Regular tank still runs around and picks up nuclei, it just meants that they have more base hp for the dmg that gets through the resistance.

prob with the kinetic orbs in heroic mode

Hi, i'm a sprz and i'm having trouble getting the orbs up with my MF. Anyone one else encountered this problem?

yeah I cannot get the kinetic bombs up with MF and only barely with SWD, the only thing the seems to work is MB.
    last week in a 10 altrun I watched a moonkin alt kick those bombs to the ceiling with wrath and I felt kinda dumb for my main SP cannot get them up that fast.

As for the "regular tank vs. specialized warlocktank"-thing
    sure a regular tank has more life, but he will also take a lot more damage, and if push comes to shove and something goes awry, a warlock can survive one or two empowered hit even without nuclei, a regular tank cannot.
    Also I kinda get the feeling a regular tank might be a bit more a strain on the healers, as he does nor mitigate that much of the shadowdamage.

And on a sidenote, everytime we used a meleetank for keleseth (in normalmode though) some ranged-DDs got aggroproblems, but never with a warlock. That might be related to our tanks though ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Rincy View Post
    yeah I cannot get the kinetic bombs up with MF and only barely with SWD, the only thing the seems to work is MB.
    last week in a 10 altrun I watched a moonkin alt kick those bombs to the ceiling with wrath and I felt kinda dumb for my main SP cannot get them up that fast.

Glad to hear that the prob lies with MF and not me. =)

On a side note, do you think that sprz can tank keleseth? I mean, we have pretty much similar shadow damage migitation compared to locks. Just wondering if any sprz with experience tanking in heroic mode and willing to give feedback. Cheers!

The lastest buff (in 3.3.3) to DK threat made it easy for our DK to tank Keleseth in 25-heroic mode. We used a warlock before in normal mode and they had much more trouble.

Im tanking it on my hunter, and have no problems with serpent sting and just 1 auto shot onit. Collecting it easily and no problems at all. Going Perfect.
    And Locks can easily do it aswell, but some are going in panic when they have to tank keleseth, while its the easiest job/

It's just a tradeoff. I tanked Blood-Prince Council normal mode on my warlock with no issues at all. When we got to the heroic mode, we made a massive switch to have our Death Knight tank do it. Icebound Fortitude plus Vampiric Blood are very good cooldowns, while a warlock has none at their disposal. Warlocks will take significantly less damage over the course of the fight, but losing an orb at a bad time could mean death for the warlock.

Spriests and Kinetic bombs

The kinetic bombs must be sent to the ceiling with Direct damage spells, for those spriests that were having issues, that basically means that MB and SW are your options since the rest are either dots or a channeled which is why group stopped having me do it since after use both MB and SW I stuck trying to wand it to ceiling til those 2 are off cd again. Since I saw a few posts I figured would throw that out there.

This is the <snip> crappiest? fight I have seen ever.

Some pointers:
    Learn to listen to emotes. When he says something about his cup beeing full: all dps stop and look for the damn kinetics. You have 4 seconds roughly before it hits the ground and trigger and chain reaction leading usually to a wipe.
    Send pets on kinetics and babysit kinetics until the pet is on it.
    Sort out a way to move the black flying orbs to your keleseth tank when they pop to the right of the room. Having your kelesth tank move everywhere can be dangereous.
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 04-22-2010 at 09:38 AM.

When tanking Keleseth do people find its better to go for 4-5 orbs and take the debuff stacks on the chin (running around getting this kind of number gets me usually in the 10-20 stacks range). Or sit happily on 3 orbs and not going over about 8 stacks of the debuff?

I'm a DK blood tank btw so cheese the debuff mechanic from time to time with AMS and have cooldowns to blow when needed to help out the healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    When tanking Keleseth do people find its better to go for 4-5 orbs and take the debuff stacks on the chin (running around getting this kind of number gets me usually in the 10-20 stacks range). Or sit happily on 3 orbs and not going over about 8 stacks of the debuff?

I'm a DK blood tank btw so cheese the debuff mechanic from time to time with AMS and have cooldowns to blow when needed to help out the healers.
    Shadow Prison (the movement debuff) is also shadow damage, so collecting more orbs essentially negates the damage you take from it. So: get lots of orbs.

Question: I'm tanking the 2 princes on top of the stairs. I'm just wondering that if an empowered shock vortex is incoming, should I run aswell or only the melee around me? Was being knocked all through the room yesterday

only move if you see that your range tracker is not going to be empty when the cast has ended and you know which way to move so you don't run into anyone

On another note, Shadow prison is capped at 99 stacks (tested).

heyy aliena i like your addons what ones you have? can you tell me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ty

+ Reply to Thread