+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: DK Noob Here

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    DK Noob Here

    I am currently a brand new death knight tank but I am familiar with the rune system. I recently rolled a new death knight on my friend's server since a few of them all play and I was planning on leveling him through the dungeon finder as a tank for fast queue tanks. I've got no start, not a beginning. I've currently in need of a spec as well and any helpful things as far as AddOns, gemming, gear, stat caps, rune usage, etc.


    Any Ideas?


    I am in the middle of reading the comprehensive death knight guide, so that should answer most of my questions, but anything he left out that helps you guys would be extremely helpful. Here is my armory link (pretty much a standard death knight with a run or two of ramps under my belt and a few quest greens).
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...eden&cn=Horris

  2. #2
    Welcome to the tanking community. Now really the first thing before we can really help you is you'll need to decide on a spec. Blood, Frost, and Unholy all play differently and can effect some gear choices like weapons, as well as rotations for bother single target and multi target(aoe) pulls, run usage ect.

    As far as addon's go the only two I would recommend to a new tank are Omen and Tidy Plates with the additional Threat Plates. Omen is a threat meter much like recount and is a great light tool to gauge what kind of threat output you have while learning. Tidy Plates with Threat Plates also installed will change the size of mob nameplates to give a at-a-glance idea of what mobs you have threat on and the ones that are hitting someone else.

    The only other thing I can mention which I mention to all new tanks I meet and speak with. BE PATIENT! Understand that a lot of players that run the DF for pug 5 mans want/expect geared tanks that can plow through the instance in 15 mins and can put out enough tps that they dont have to manage their dps/aggro. You may find yourself constantly getting bashed by players of this type while your learning. Stick with it and move/play/learn at your own pace.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by mangaart1st View Post
    Welcome to the tanking community. Now really the first thing before we can really help you is you'll need to decide on a spec. Blood, Frost, and Unholy all play differently and can effect some gear choices like weapons, as well as rotations for bother single target and multi target(aoe) pulls, run usage ect.

    As far as addon's go the only two I would recommend to a new tank are Omen and Tidy Plates with the additional Threat Plates. Omen is a threat meter much like recount and is a great light tool to gauge what kind of threat output you have while learning. Tidy Plates with Threat Plates also installed will change the size of mob nameplates to give a at-a-glance idea of what mobs you have threat on and the ones that are hitting someone else.

    The only other thing I can mention which I mention to all new tanks I meet and speak with. BE PATIENT! Understand that a lot of players that run the DF for pug 5 mans want/expect geared tanks that can plow through the instance in 15 mins and can put out enough tps that they dont have to manage their dps/aggro. You may find yourself constantly getting bashed by players of this type while your learning. Stick with it and move/play/learn at your own pace.
    The best way to deal with this....just leave. If a group is going to give you that much grief, just leave. You're a tank, you'll get a group as soon as your debuff is gone. They'll probably still be waiting for one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    426
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...Knight-Tanking

    All you will ever need. Satorri is the master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMooky View Post
    The best way to deal with this....just leave. If a group is going to give you that much grief, just leave. You're a tank, you'll get a group as soon as your debuff is gone. They'll probably still be waiting for one.
    I generally do leave groups like this, but from what I have heard from a few guildies that are trying to level and gear up alt tanks its a constant battle. A lot of them are not immediately hit with this kind of abuse up front its usually a bit later into the instance or they make a mistake and then all the bashing starts up. I definately agree if the group is being that negative leaving the group is prefered, just trying to set the expectation of what he may encounter.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by mangaart1st View Post
    I generally do leave groups like this, but from what I have heard from a few guildies that are trying to level and gear up alt tanks its a constant battle. A lot of them are not immediately hit with this kind of abuse up front its usually a bit later into the instance or they make a mistake and then all the bashing starts up. I definately agree if the group is being that negative leaving the group is prefered, just trying to set the expectation of what he may encounter.
    Grow a thick skin - the idiot dps that pulls aggro will blame you, the 'tard healer that is cluess how to heal will blame you; you are responsible for all bad things that befall the Earth and for getting mankind kicked out of Eden, everyone thought it was Eve tempting Adam, it was really a tank losing aggro on the serpent. But in the end it is fun, and if you're cut out for it you'll love it.

    Prime example first time tanking H HoL on my Pally we get all the way to the last set of mobs before the last wall comes down without a wipe; without a death even, and we get overwhelmed - the Druid healer proceeds to tell me I'm the worst Pally tank he's ever seen; one wipe, last set of mobs in a dps race and it was my fault. Hope they waited a long, long time for another tank.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts