+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tank Looking for advice

New tank Looking for advice

So, first off let's say I don't have much tank experience at all. I've mostly just stuck to DPS for fear of being one of those awful tanks that you see and wish you'd never have to group up with again. But after seeing so many of those I decided to take up the role. So I've been tanking for...I'd say a month or two. Though Ive mostly stuck to heroics and a raid or two. (Mainly ToC 10-man)

What I'm wonder is...I know that I'm geared for ToC 10/25 man and perhaps ICC10? (Not sure about the last one) But since I lack tanking experience should I tank other raids if I get the chance? (Naxx/Uld etc.) Or should I just jump in to ICC? I haven't stepped foot in ICC either, tanking or DPS. Considering I'm guildless, I doubt that a PuG would consider bringing along an inexperienced tank.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ord&cn=Vaelryn
    This is my armory for anyone that's curious.
    Last edited by Tbs098; 02-22-2010 at 10:02 PM.

You armory link pulls up the index, not you. Please repost the link.

And no, most pugs won't tolerate inexperience tanks. You need to get in the dungeon finder and practice tanking in heroics. Nothing helps you learn the finer points of chaos management like pug dps going crazy on every pull.

Sorry! Didn't realize xD

I would stick to ToC 10/25 for a few runs just to get in the hang of it. Your gear would do OK in ICC 10, first few bosses at least, but more experience would be a huge help.

And never, ever gem parry for a DK. Parry has such huge diminishing returns for you, that dodge or agility are always superior alternatives.

If you don't have the experience and confidence to jump into ToC then I strongly advise you to get out into heroics and build your experience and confidence.

Treat each heroic pull like a raid pull. Ask yourself constant questions.

How quickly can I get threat on the mobs? Imagine they are spawning adds.
    How much damage can I generate on the boss? Imagine it is a dps race.
    How much damage can I avoid? Practice chaining cooldowns as if the boss has enraged or the healer is down.

You will know when you are ready for the raids without asking other people at that point

Good luck!

Might want to toss out the Glyph of Disease for a Glyph of Frost Strike or Rune Strike instead.
    Otherwise Spec/Glyphs look good.
    As stated before never gem for parry.
    Use Dodge/Stam, Expertise/Stam or Expertise (only if you need it BAD) for red sockets, if you are going for a socket bonus.

Only thing I would really comment on is try to get your Hit Rating up if you can. I advocate trying to have a good hit rating, though others say it doesn't matter at all ever.

Thanks guys. I spent the other day running tons of heroics and this morning I tanked my first TotC 10. It went very well. No wipes to speak of, save a few DPS dying. I decided to drop my DPS spec for the time being, and am not sporting frost/blood tank specs.

The reason for the gem was because of my lower parry rating. As well as the debuff in ICC, I thought that gemming parry for the meta as well as the socket bonus would have been the better choice. But I changed it just now to a dodge/stam purple.

Good to hear your tanking is coming along. If your still looking to build confidence and experience tanking I would recommend Heroic Halls of Reflections. Being one of the harder instances to tank even compared to raids like toc/voa theres a lot you can learn.

You get to learn a lot about effective mob positioning, utilizing all your tools (interrupts,deathgrip, chains ect.) while tanking. Also how to react to a number of "oh sh*t" moments from dps pulling threat, new adds having to be dealt with. The bosses themselves wont gleem to much insight into tanking but from most tanks I speak with learning to tank HoR heroic for the first 10 waves with a bad group(undergeared healer, bad or lone wolf style dps) and still being successful taught them more about tanking effectively then any of the fights in toc.

+ Reply to Thread