+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class Pros and Cons for tanking

Class Pros and Cons for tanking

I'm looking for an article outling pros and cons of each tanking class. Strengths and weaknesses and who is better suited for particular roles. Thanks.

Just putting it out there that I just accidentally got a thread locked for nerd raging about how pallies aren't better than warriors, so to all people to post after this, beware your wording and remain civil (aka don't be like me).

In other news, this will be my last post in this thread.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Yeah. I almost went on a rampage after my raiding experience last night. I'm blood DK OT in our 25man and MT for a 10m group. I'm at about 5600 gs spend a ton of time reading theorycraft and relatively working hard on my gear, skill and spec and a pally tank who has been with us for about 2 weeks and is sittin at about 5k gear score gets hit for less damage than I do (according to healers not a log). That was a low moment for me at which point I almost broke something. I just wanted to find out if there is any situation in which I am worthwhile or if I'm generally a shaman without blood lust.

There really isn't a "better" right now, and this thread will likely get shut down pretty quick as they tend to get out of hand.

If you would like some run-downs, I would recommend PM'ing myself (what little help I would be), Aggathon, Drae, Kaz, Satrina, etc. Probably best not to put it in thread form for reasons stated.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Oh, and in regards to:

a pally tank who has been with us for about 2 weeks and is sittin at about 5k gear score gets hit for less damage than I do
    He has a shield, you don't. If the healers haven't figured that out by now....
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

I'm not looking for a "better." I'm looking for a "what situation does which class thrive in?" Obviously different encounters provide different challenges. Some are long periods of medium damage. Some are short periods of high damage. Some are

@ Crutchs: Pallies are designed to take the least amount of damage thats why they needed that stam nerf, like someone said they have a shield and they are designed to gain 60% shield block from holy shield and chance on hit from Redoubt. I want to stress at this point that taking less damage on the meters overall does not make you the best tank, look at disc priests they dont do much healing but they do not suck.

@Aggathon: WOW glad to finally meet a warrior who doesnt have his panties in a bunch over Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    @ Crutchs: Pallies are designed to take the least amount of damage thats why they needed that stam nerf, like someone said they have a shield and they are designed to gain 60% shield block from holy shield and chance on hit from Redoubt. I want to stress at this point that taking less damage on the meters overall does not make you the best tank, look at disc priests they dont do much healing but they do not suck.

@Aggathon: WOW glad to finally meet a warrior who doesnt have his panties in a bunch over Paladins.
    Another reason healers tend to like Pally tanks is they get one "opps" every two minutes with a Pally tank due to http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31852

<disclaimer>
    What I am about to say is not meant to be gospel or judgmental of classes and I am speaking in generalities not specifics. So if your class breaks the guideline I am about to put down thats because specifically you are different.
    </disclaimer>

In my limited opinion the various tank classes fit scenarios like this:

1. Warrior Tank: Very good at single target tanking (can create a ton of threat on one target), has very good mitigation and damage reduction capabilities. However they struggle generally with AoE tanking (holding multiple trash mobs and adds etc) so a player of this class needs to work harder keeping aggro from multiple targets.

2. Paladin Tank: Very good at AoE tanking and has some very good damage mitigation abilities and self-heals. Not as good however at single-target tanking compared to other classes so a player of this class will need to know their rotation well on single targets.

3. DK Tanks: All the specs generally are also very good at AoE tanking as well as good at single target tanking but do not have as much mitigation (no shield, etc) as the other classes. Players of this class will need to be more aware of their own health pool in an encounter more than other classes.

4. Druid tanks: Similar to DK tanks in that they can hold aggro pretty well on AoE and single target tanking and have around the same shortcomings when it comes to mitigation.

These brief descriptions are just indicators of the weakpoints. Whatever class you choose you need to be aware of what the shortcomings can be and just work toward fixing it. Each class has their own advantages and disadvantages, its up to you to decide which disadvantage you can manage the best.

I would refine your paladin description like this: Strong aoe threat but slightly weaker single target threat, Good mitigation (difference to a warrior is a warrior will generally block more damage and a paladin will block more often) causing probably the most consistent damage intake of the tanks, has the lowest health pool of the tanks, mobility is an issue without pursuit (warriors and druids charge and DKs deathgrip).

Another reason healers tend to like Pally tanks is they get one "opps" every two minutes with a Pally tank due to http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=31852
    Only the bad ones, the good ones dont rely on the effect.

I'll chip in my thoughts as well as I play two of the 4 tank classes and often get into these discussions in my guild amongst all those that can spec into tanking.. and no mages sorry.. iceblock doesnt equal tanking

Warrior: Wars as most people have stated time and time again are probably currently the most versatile tanks in the game. The have exceptional single target threat gen, Good mitigation, average AoE threat capabilities. AoE differs per player and a lot with the group you run with. If there were "niche" tanking encounters in raids like in the past, wars would excel at highly mobile fights. Any fight that requires the tank to move around a lot and quickly are performed really well by warriors with Warbringer, Interrcept and Intervenne.

DK: Dk's have the most play styles for tanks making them a nice class that most players that want to tank can find a style that accomadates them. Dk's peform just as well as other tanks despite a lot of unfounded*IMO* reports from healers that they are harder to heal then the rest to a lopsided degree. From Blood's damage and self healing, to frosts excellent aoe threat and mitigation.

Paladin: Not much I can say about pallies that the tanking world hasn't said hundreds of times. Excellent AoE threat, great single target threat, outstanding mitigation and health pool. Arguably the best cool downs and "oh shit" buttons. Plus the added utility of raid buffs.

Bear: Bears are in the same boat right now with dk's. Great avoidance mitigation stats, highest health pool of all the tanks, good single target threat, great aoe threat. Comes equipped with a Battle ReZ and raid buffs.

Ultimately there are no niche fights that favor one tank over another. The skilled tank no matter his/her class will tank every encounter to the same standard. All of the classes can perform at MT or OT levels. The skill of the player will make their respective tank class shine or fade. In this respect bliz has done a good job balancing out the tanks so that no one tank exceeds the abilities of all the others ie. Paladins in the Mount Hyjal era, Dk's in the OS/3d Naxx era ect.

+ Reply to Thread