+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multi Target Threat Problem

Multi Target Threat Problem

Hello

First time posting here, I have read through much of the content on Deathknights and utilized Sartorri's amazing post on DK tanking. Currently I am running with this Frost Dual Wield Build:

I run mainly heroics and the occasional 10man raid with my guild. I am wondering if I am missing something because I use the Frost Single disease method, then death and decay, blood boil, and then obliterate/frost strike to keep aggro on the mobs. Many times the mobs run right past me and then it is near impossible to regain aggro even with my Dark Command. I guess my question is

"Is there something wrong with my spec or gear that is causing my threat problem"

Sorry for the long winded post, I am in sales so I talk too much...

iVAN

Your spec looks fine. I see you're using 2x tank weapons. That's not a big problem with HB or DnD, but it will impact your single target threat. For single target, DW threat needs 2x slow DPS weapons to generate enough single target threat to stay ahead of comparably geared dps.

If the mobs are running past you on the pull after you've used HB and DnD, then your dps is the problem. They're hitting the mobs too early. Tell them to stop acting like morons. They need to give you 3 GCDs to lock in AoE threat.

Get dual black icicles from H HoR.

Glyph of Frost Strike or Rune Strike will probably be more useful than Unbreakable armor.

How exactly are you opening up on mobs? Are you starting with D&D then using other attacks? Or you using something else?
    D&D is a great opening attack, since it is high threat and can get the attention of all or nearly all the mobs at once.

Your gems could use a bit of work.
    The only time you want to use a single color gem is if it is for Stamina, Defense (only to get to the cap), or Expertise if you need it bad. Otherwise use dual-color gems.
    Yellow Socket: Defense (only to the cap), Def/Stam or Hit/Stam.
    Red Socket: Expertise (only if you need it bad), Expertise/Stam or Dodge/Stam.
    Blue: Stamina only.

While the 4 piece bonus is nice, you might want to get the non-set helm and shoulders.
    Try to get the Tanking Sigil.
    Get rid of that belt and get the belt from Conquest Emblems or have the Ulduar crafted belt made, the belt you have is a Paladin/Warrior belt.

For weapons, try to get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50268 from H PoS, http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50303 from H HoR, or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50191 from H FoS.

Overall your gear and spec are good. Other than tweaking your gems/enchants.
    So it probably is your rotation/opening that is the issue.

Opener and Thanks

Thanks for the replies, this has already been helpful learning about the dual slow dps weapons.

Selene

I usually open up on an aoe mob with howling blast(since i have the glyph), then death and decay, then blood boil, obliterate/frost strike, rune tap, blood boil etc.

What seems to happen is that the DPS typically in my group which are a little better geared (this is an alt) especially the BM hunter and the Boomkin pull at least a couple out of the group then I have to take my focus from my mob to dark command and/or death grip the stragglers and then it all gets out of hand.

I thought I had the correct sigil, so I will read up on the tanking one, I have several I may already have it. I will also review the gems. Thanks again.

iVAN

Ah so it is your opening then.
    Try switching to Death & Decay, Howling Blast, Blood Boil. You might get better results that way. Reason being is DPS tend to open up as soon as the DK throws out an Attack, and Death & Decay is a High Threat attack compared to Howling Blast.

Myself most of the time, I go Death & Decay, Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Pestilence and with rare exceptions, like Blizzard, Rain of Fire, and Volley being used as I'm starting to get threat, I have no issues, but then again, my gear is to the point where only raids and frost emblems are an improvement.

New and Improved and I figured out the problem

Well (looks over shoulder sheepishly) figured out the main problem. When I switch from my dps spec to tank it removes all presences... This tends to make it tough to hold aggro without frost presence on.

So, once I figured that out I ran Heroic Forge and Pit with the changes to my rotation as was suggested and no aggro problems. I also had them AOE everything to try and pull them off and barely had issues, I am going to farm those weapons for better threat.

Thanks again, really helped, now I just need to transmute a bunch of new gems...

Yes. It's extremely embarrassing when I do that in a raid.

me: swapping back to tank for trash
    <I take massive hits from trash and can't hold aggro>
    me: crap.....frost presence isn't up.

Also, if you ever EVER have a hunter pulling aggro off of you, tell him to go home. He has both Misdirect and Feign Death and should never be pulling mobs off of you.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanshammy View Post
    Well (looks over shoulder sheepishly) figured out the main problem. When I switch from my dps spec to tank it removes all presences... This tends to make it tough to hold aggro without frost presence on.

So, once I figured that out I ran Heroic Forge and Pit with the changes to my rotation as was suggested and no aggro problems. I also had them AOE everything to try and pull them off and barely had issues, I am going to farm those weapons for better threat.

Thanks again, really helped, now I just need to transmute a bunch of new gems...
    LOL reminds me of the other day when I was being "lazy" and was questing in Tank Spec/Gear so was in Blood Presence. Some friends want to do heroics, I was doing fine on threat despite being in Blood Presence until we got to the 4 guys in the room with the first boss in H UK. When I lost threat and a Ret Pally went SPLAT!!! I was like WTF? why did I lose threat, and noticed I was in blood the entire time... OPPS

+ Reply to Thread