+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood DK - Healers complaining.

Blood DK - Healers complaining.

...well not so much complaining, but stating to me that I, as a DK, am much harder for them to heal than a lesser geared paladin or even bear tank.

Here is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...drunner&n=Soth

The biggest complaint is that my damage is hard to predict and the healers have to heal me in case I do get hit as I get hit harder. This results in a ton of overheal.

What can I do to help alleviate their frustrations? Gem agility for the armor bonuses? More stamina isn't going to help with their particular complaint, but I will be putting in three Solid Dragon's Eye very soon for 63 more stamina.

By the way, long time reader, first time poster. I want to give a hearty hello and thank you to two of the regular posters here that have helped me along my way as a DK Tank. Edgewalker and most importantly, Satorri. Good game guys, keep up the fantastic work.

Edit: I am aware of the WotN changes coming and will be dropping Sudden Doom for that. In its current form, I don't see it being more valuable to me than the added threat from free DCs.
    Last edited by Lord Soth; 02-23-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    ...well not so much complaining, but stating to me that I, as a DK, am much harder for them to heal than a lesser geared paladin or even bear tank.

Here is my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...drunner&n=Soth

The biggest complaint is that my damage is hard to predict and the healers have to heal me in case I do get hit as I get hit harder. This results in a ton of overheal.

What can I do to help alleviate their frustrations? Gem agility for the armor bonuses? More stamina isn't going to help with their particular complaint, but I will be putting in three Solid Dragon's Eye very soon for 63 more stamina.

By the way, long time reader, first time poster. I want to give a hearty hello and thank you to two of the regular posters here that have helped me along my way as a DK Tank. Edgewalker and most importantly, Satorri. Good game guys, keep up the fantastic work.
    Actually, it will. If the damage you take is unpredictable, stacking avoidance won't help in the least. There's no way to gem for armor (agility instead of dodge is the best you can do, which I would probably do in your situation) - the only possible solution is to stack more stamina, so that you can absorb this spike damage without going squish. You concede that most of the healing on you is overheal (that's the way tank healing works unfortunately), so healer mana is not an issue. Stack more stam.

To that end, I would suggest getting rid of the defense enchants (including the shoulder one) for more stam and armor. Maybe if you don't need the threat from Armsman you could replace your glove enchant with 240 armor.

I'd also try speccing into Will of the Necropolis, especially since it's going to get buffed in the new minipatch (no more cooldown).

You don't mention what situations or fights you are particularly hard to heal on. If you're consistantly harder to heal than your pally or bear co-tank, perhaps it's a matter of gear. If it's certain fights, perhaps you are mistiming your cooldowns. Etc etc.

I have actually resolved the issue of a few weeks ago - exactly the same problem expressed by my healers. I have prioritised armor now in my gear (as it looks like you are doing), and I pot an Indestructable just before the fight starts and one 2 minutes laters. I also use my cooldowns regularly, almost part of a rotation.

My healers say they cannot tell the difference between healing me or my pally partner, and combat logs show us as broadly similar.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Edge&n=Vincto if you are interested in spec.

Thanks for the tips.

I have indeed been focusing on armor, but haven't gemmed for it yet.

Once I get Ramaladni's Blade of Culling(sp?) I will be able to drop the expertise in favor of agility. I swapped out the defense enchant on chest last night, I can drop the cloak and shoulders tonight when I do my dragon's eyes. I wish I could get the 100 armor shoulder enchant, but wowhead says it was removed in 3.0.2. Meh.

I also noticed that you dont have will of the necropolis talented. It might be my personal preference-but I really think this is a must have blood tanking talent. Since you are losing a lot of mitigation compared to frost spec tanking, you really should have something like this especially if your healers are saying you are hard to heal. This will give them a tiny little buffer. Also-it is hard to compare any one tanking class to the next on damage intake-the classes are different and each can really mitigate differently from one to the next.

I am not fond of WotN in its current iteration. However, I will be picking it up in preparation for 3.3.3 as it is now a pure win talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    I am not fond of WotN in its current iteration. However, I will be picking it up in preparation for 3.3.3 as it is now a pure win talent.
    Unless you're doing heroic ICC, the no cool down version should make no difference. If you are spending enough time around 30% health to proc this twice in 15s, you're probably heading to a wipe anyhow. Put another way, the cool down removal will make no difference to most raids in normal ICC.

I'm not a DK tank (past level 65 :P), but I raided with a a couple blood DK tanks -- specifically, one good one, and one who the healers also complained about but ultimately improved with the first DK's advice. The main thing that silenced healers was learning to sync Death Strike timing with the swing timer of a boss.
    "Sometimes attaining the deepest familiarity with a question is our best substitute for actually having the answer." -- Brian Greene.

+ Reply to Thread