+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fast tanking weapon vs slow dps weapon in dungeon ?

Fast tanking weapon vs slow dps weapon in dungeon ?

Hello, first time poster on this forum.

Im a prot pally in ok icc 10 gear. In raids im using the 1.7 speed tanking mace from Lord Marrowgar 10 man with the Blood Draining enchant. My question is, will i do significant more dmg when tanking dungeons and aoe tanking in raids with the 2.60 speed dps mace from Festergut 10 man with SoC ? and if so, what enchant should i use on it for the purpouse of doing as much dmg as possible ?

ty in advance

I would love to get some commentary on this from some of the more experienced tanks. I've been considering using a dps mace for heroics where threat is really the issue as opposed to having as much mitigation as possible but I don't have one to test out yet. I think I'm going to try and get the black icicle for it with either berserker, Accuracy or blood draining enchant. On this same topic I would love some guidelines on gemming and gearing for a pure threat set that's just over the defense cap.

HotR will hit harder with a slow weapon. If you're tanking "easy" content, like heroics, a slow DPS one hander with Mongoose is a nice threat weapon. Accuracy is the best threat chant if you're not hit capped, next is berserking, followed closely by mongoose. As far as gemming for threat goes, strenght would be the best stat to go with.
    Last edited by Akeber; 02-21-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    HotR will hit harder with a slow weapon. If you're tanking "easy" content, like heroics, a slow DPS one hander with Mongoose is a nice threat weapon. Accuracy is the best threat chant if you're not hit capped, next is berserking, followed closely by mongoose. As far as gemming for threat goes, strenght would be the best stat to go with.
    HotR is normalized for weapon speed, I thought. The reason slow weapons are better has to do with SoV - I don't fully understand, but I'm willing to take Theck's word for it (he's the math wiz from Maintankadin).

Expertise is actually your most important threat stat until you reach 26 (which is fairly easy given the 6 from talents and 10 from a glyph), now that our shield slam is on the melee attack table with HotR. Then it's strength, followed closely by hit and more expertise.

I wouldn't recommend wasting gold on a special weapon enchant just for farming heroics. If you want a threat weapon for raiding, use a slow DPS weapon with Accuracy (or if you're over the hitcap from gear alone, use Mongoose). Berserking is OK for heroics I suppose, but I would not recommend giving up any armor as a raider. You want it all.

Our paladin tanks do like 9-10k tanking trash packs in icc with a slow 1handed dps weapon. It's a pretty significant increase in dps.

Makes me sad that I have to re-glyph and wear a special set of gear with threat/dps gems, dps trinkets, slow weapon with dps enchant just to *attempt* to keep up with them. All they do is swap a weapon and libram.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    Our paladin tanks do like 9-10k tanking trash packs in icc with a slow 1handed dps weapon. It's a pretty significant increase in dps.

Makes me sad that I have to re-glyph and wear a special set of gear with threat/dps gems, dps trinkets, slow weapon with dps enchant just to *attempt* to keep up with them. All they do is swap a weapon and libram.
    Do you happen to know which libram they switch to?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    HotR is normalized for weapon speed, I thought. The reason slow weapons are better has to do with SoV - I don't fully understand, but I'm willing to take Theck's word for it (he's the math wiz from Maintankadin).
    I havn't been keeping up with theck's work lately. Don't know why i thought it had to do with HotR, must have misunderstood something i'd read. I'll quote Theck for the "why":

• Slow weapons are good for us, because SoV 5-stack proc rewards weapon speed, at roughly 28 TPS per 0.1 weapon speed.
    • The only spec-related choice that can change the outcome is Reckoning. Each point in Reckoning will add 24-28 TPS for a 1.5-1.6 speed weapon, while it will add 40-45 TPS for a 2.5-2.6 speed weapon.
    This means that for a weapon with equal DPS but a 2.6 weapon speed, it will be about 280 TPS ahead of a tank weapon with 1.6 weapon speed, and the swap will give you an additional 16-17 TPS for each point you have in Reckoning.
    That info is from 3.2, but little has changed in there. Here is the whole thread (100+ pages) if you're in the mood for a headache:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

Quote Originally Posted by Dristan View Post
    Do you happen to know which libram they switch to?
    I'm assuming the Libram of Valiance, +200 strength on SoV ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    I'm assuming the Libram of Valiance, +200 strength on SoV ticks.
    Ok cool that's the one I just picked up for this purpose. With my Mark of supremacy I'm at hit cap and I"m gonna start the farming for my Black Icicle tonight. I'll run some tests and post the results here if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the help guys.

+ Reply to Thread