+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resto shamans - what's your recommended off spec

Resto shamans - what's your recommended off spec

As my shaman inches closer to 80 (76 at the moment) I'm gearing him up to focus on resto as main spec. When I first started leveling I was doing so as enhancement because it seemed the quickest. I dual specced at around lvl50 so I could pick up resto to heal instances, and when I did this I dropped enhancement for elemental. It seemed to make sense because, at that level anyway, I could use the same gear for both roles. Gearing up to 80, to do a competitive level of dps as elemental though i'm starting to see the need for two different gear sets now.

My question is, for any other resto shamans here, what is your off spec, elemental or enhancement?

If you've gone elemental do you use your resto gear for both roles?

If I need to maintain two gear sets (for heal and dps roles) would I be better shifting from elemental to enhancement?

* Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but to me it's best answer by other resto shamans, which is why i posted in healing.

The only real difference in gearing Resto versus Elemental is Hit. Technically, Elemental wants a greater focus on SP than Haste, so your gems'll be a little off, but it's not a huge difference. Your Resto gear doubles just fine as Elemental gear (swapping straight over, and putting on two hit trinkets, I can pretty reliably hit the 4.5-5K range for DPS. It won't get me a raid slot for DPS, but it's enough to make it worthwhile if we need to swap out a healer.)

Generally speaking, healers are in far more demand than DPS, so I wouldn't concern yourself with it too much, as you'll rarely need to switch. I'd take your offspec just for dailies and whatnought, and Ele makes a better choice there since your Resto gear will be more than good enough for that. I'm currently offspecced to Enhance because we're normally melee heavy and only occasionally have an Enhance Shaman, so when I swap off, they tend to want the buffs more than caring specifically about my DPS. Find out what your group might need if you were to go offspec, and that might be the clincher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindralas View Post
    Find out what your group might need if you were to go offspec, and that might be the clincher.
    I guess for me the clincher would be what would be more likely to get me a raid spot (if I wasn't healing), elemental or enhancement. Which spec is generally more sought after for raids? I've read enhancement due to the buffs they can bring to assist melee dps, but personally I can see benefits either way.

Quote Originally Posted by swollenpickles View Post
    I guess for me the clincher would be what would be more likely to get me a raid spot (if I wasn't healing), elemental or enhancement. Which spec is generally more sought after for raids? I've read enhancement due to the buffs they can bring to assist melee dps, but personally I can see benefits either way.
    Well, your composition matters more, in direct answer. If your raids tend to be balanced or spell heavy, Ele's better, because your gear'll be significantly better. If it's melee heavy, then Enhance for the buffs. However, as I said, healing's generally more in-demand, so it's more likely you'll be healing. I think I've DPS'ed on my Shaman 5 or 6 times in my three years of playing (though, ironically, the hard encounters for the Ulduar Glory I did as Enhance.)

Getting gear for Enhance along with a spellpower set is also more annoying than you think it is, especially with Rogues now being able to use axes. Depending on what your standard raid comps are, you can gauge by that as well. If you tend to have a lot of Rogues and Hunters, chances are, you're not getting hardly any drops due to Enhance being your offspec.

Ultimately, I'd ask your guild moreso than us. Since the only time you'll be DPS'ing is at their request, you might as well request exactly which spec they want as well.

Personally, I am Enhancement as it is my old mainspec, but I would suggest Elemental unless your guild requests otherwise.
    A lot of crit/haste gear is great for both specs, and you can get the hit and mp5 you need for either spec specificly from tier set and/or trinkets.
    It is far easier to gear and will do just as much DPS usually. In my guild I generally don't have to worry about offspec for buffs, as you should not be relying on offspecs to bring buffs you need, they should be there anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

personalty i am ele, use all the same gear excpet for totem, trinket and couple pieces of T9.5 Ele set to be hit caped and i Pull a good amount of dps when im needed to go dps in raids (usually on sauerfang). But my guild is mellie heavy so a ranged dps is always good. So... which ever spec you can pull more dps in IMO. or what your guild needs for those rare times u need to switch specs.

Well...

I've found that my elemental spec has been in more demand for raids. Specifically Fang where I'll go dps instead of heals and that range is beneficial.

On the other hand, I greatly prefer enhancement for farming and pvp. I can't stand needing to be stationary while fighting.

Ultimately it's a choice you need to decide for yourself as to which you like playing. Elemental will be cheaper as there's less gear you need to pick up to switch it.

I often come in as the "3rd healers" in 10 mans, so I'll swap to ele for content that doesn't really need 3 healers

I see more resto/ele shammy combinations than anything else.

I like smacking stuff on the head when I'm not healing, though, so I'm resto/enhance.

Not to mention, dual-wielding looks badass.

+ Reply to Thread