+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Pro's" - are they really? and if so, how much do they get paid?

"Pro's" - are they really? and if so, how much do they get paid?

I've seen a lot of people refer to themselves and others as "pro's". Are there actually any WoW pro's? By that I mean people that are making money by playing the game? I'm not talking about gold farmers or bloggers that write about wow (and make $$ from advertising), but people that are paid to play. Do these people exist or are they an urban legend? If they do exist, how much do they make?

or

When people use the term pro are they just referring to those that play the game 10+hours a day as if it were their full time job?

mlg, old wsvg, there are a few out there. Sponsors pay for the hotels and plane trips which is why you see teams get restructured so much if you follow every event.

Yeah I've wondered this, too. Supposedly Ensidia are sponsored 'by Dubai', which I'm guessing means someone who lives in Dubai gives them money / stuff from time to time.

I can't really see any benefit in a corporation sponsoring a WoW PvE guild. How would they justify it? Maybe if the guild stuck their logo in the progression raid kill videos, heh.

PvP I could understand more, I believe there are actual events that players go to? Which could have more potential for product tie ins, merchandising, etc.

Blizzard hosts yearly PvP tournaments where the winning teams (depending on division) can earn up to $200,000. All information regarding prizes and rules can be found on the wow website. I guess you could consider this getting paid to play on a salary if you win, not hourly wage though.
    Jalousie: Two ovaries walk into a bar.
    "Hey, can we get some cervix over here?"

"Pro" can also be used as a general compliment on a player's skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotteq View Post
    And that's pretty much how it's always meant when you see someone being referred to as a "pro".

Having worked as a blackjack dealer in Las Vegas, I can tell you there's a surprisingly large number of people with a surprisingly large amount of money.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some rich dude who really really liked World of Warcraft would financially assist some guildmates.

After all..think of all the junk really rich dudes will buy for girls!

Sponsorship more often involves products supplied at cost (Like good video cards) for cheap or for free rather then cash. It's tough to tie in merchandising to WoW tho, and tough to place advertising space anywhere outside of community pages; but it can be done. Tho most often people will do it for free, so why pay them?

For example: a well know movie maker and raider may extol the virtues of a peripheral game-pad on their video that is viewed by hundreds of thousands of players. */cough*

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scotteq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashal
    And that's pretty much how it's always meant when you see someone being referred to as a "pro".
    I wouldn't count on everyone interpretation of this though. I PuG'd OS one night for the 5 extra frosties and was paired with another Blood DK tank who was referred to by a raider as a "Pro". While his gear was very nice; he was sporting a generic cookie cutter spec and his play style ended up with him taking more damage than me (I'm in ICC10 - he was in ICC25 gear).

I suppose that as with every job, "Pro" WoW players don't all earn that fictional wage :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Archa View Post
    I wouldn't count on everyone interpretation of this though.
    I think it's more of a case of people thinking someone is good (hence calling them a "pro") when in fact they aren't all that good.

Honestly, it isn't like you can't sneeze without bumping into someone who is somehow sponsored to play WoW. Those folks are a small, small minority. The common usage in the game for "pro" is to mean "good at what they do".

It doesn't mean when someone says someone else is a pro that they are correct, however. Or, sometimes it can be used sarcastically, meaning they aren't good, which doesn't always come across well in chat windows (or even over vent sometimes).

There are several 'professional' gaming teams in Europe. Most of them sponsor/support things like Counterstrike/Halo or WoW arena, with a WoW raid team being something of a side deal. Even Starcraft teams I believe. I saw all this, back when I was really into Warcraft 3 (I'm sure those teams are all disbanded by now, but maybe not).

As Darksend mentioned these eSports events can net big money, there's even a US league (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Gaming). I'm not really sure how the financials work between the team and the sponsors though. Some eSports teams have managers even... so whether or not that's just some guy that's friends with the players or someone who's actually paid to manage them, I don't know.

There are corporate sponsors too, I saw a post on WoW.com where Microsoft interviewed the pvp team they were sponsoring in some recent event.

It's all a little strange to me, but I wouldn't dismiss the money factor for this either (hell Spike TV airs Halo tournaments sometimes). Even mmo-champion is getting in on the game by streaming WoW arena tournaments. And I believe there was a pseudo-Ulduar tournament between ... I have no idea actually... at some European event where they raided live to see who could clear it the fastest and with the most 'style points'.

+ Reply to Thread