+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm leveling in Prot - WHAT THE?!

I'm leveling in Prot - WHAT THE?!

Yes, I know.

Through the dungeon system - which I suppose makes it abit more viable.

Basically, I need advice on a good "leveling" Protection Warrior build, which I can follow, and be able tank well at any level. She's level 26 at the moment, my baby Roxsana.

Nobody got nothing on this subject?

Well, first of all, you don't need to worry too much about specs at levels like 26. You can use whatever dps spec you want and just chuck a shield on when you're tanking, it's fine.

Is there a reason you're wanting to go prot this early, is it so you can get groups easier?

Several reasons.

One, so I can get groups easier.
    And two, so I can get experience with tanking on a Warrior from an early level onwards, as I'm sure knowing how to tank from an early level will help alot when I come to tank at end-game.

So yeah. Plus I'm absolutely loving tanking at the moment.

Personally, I loved leveling as Protection. You may kill things alittle slower, but you can kill more at once and it is less downtime.

Not to mention it makes for an easy transition from the grind to the instance.

As for the spec, I didn't deter from the normal Protection spec of the time to incorporate anything unusual. I just continually put points in the talents that I planned to have when I hit 80.

I leveled as Protection from 60->70, 70->80, and I will be doing it as 80->85.
    Former Hardcore Raider, Officer, Guild Master and Tank.

If you're looking for tips on spec and glyphs, I'd say aim for http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZZMhtrx0z by Lv30 with Glyphs of Revenge and Cleaving for major, Bloodrage for minor. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZZMGtrx0zib by Lv41. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZZMItrx0zidIzsGo by Lv60. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZhZMItMxMzidIzsGo by Lv68. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhZMItMxMzidIzsGo by Lv78. You can take points out of Improved Revenge and put them into Puncture if you wish (I probably would) and replace the Revenge glyph with Devastate, but I don't see it mattering either way. Second minor glyph should probably be Thunder Clap, third... probably Charge or a Shout. My idea on Devastate talented and glyphed means you have a damage dealing, spammable attack that'll be rage friendly (10 rage with 2/3 Puncture and 3/3 Focused Rage) and deal high threat, and allow you to get 20% ArP against the target in three hits (most of that in two).

What dyls and Adonijah said, plus imagine this talent in your prot tree:

Hardened skin
    1/1
    Instant
    Makes you resistant to idiotic party members, lowering your stress levels by 200%. Lasts until cancelled.
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by sud View Post
    What dyls and Adonijah said, plus imagine this talent in your prot tree:

Hardened skin
    1/1
    Instant
    Makes you resistant to idiotic party members, lowering your stress levels by 200%. Lasts until cancelled.
    HAHA! I like that! xD

And thank you so much for the advice guys - my lovely Tank has just reached level 31 and I'm continuing to have a blast with her.. currently learning the joys of Chainpulling. Slightly don't like the fact I can be healed perfectly fine by a Retribution Paladin, but I suppose that's a compliment to both my gear and skill, and also because of the low level of the instances I'm doing. Can't wait to get to the higher leveled instances that require a properly specced Healer.

I went 60 - 80 as prot it was rather fun... I also was third in my guild at the time to hit 80

Three words, Glyph of Cleave.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Needing a proper healer will probably be necessary once you hit the mid 40s. My own project, Mierelle of TB, still can be rather boring in BRD if the tank is good, but her gear is solid.

IMO level as arms until about 40. Get some plate gear and respec to prot. It's what I did!

I leveled with standard Prot (15/5/51) spec and I loved it, but I would recommend something like (5/13/53) in which you can take Improved Cleave.

I'm doing the same thing, just geared up my abandoned 40 War as prot and have gotten him to 45 in LFG. However, unlike my DK tank, my 40 Prot pally, and my 76 bear druid, the War was the most difficult to figure out so far, but also shaping up to be the most fun of all the tanks (Can't wait for Warbringer at 50).

After some help from Tankspot, here's what I've learned:

1. In general, spec and gear for Rage cost reduction, AoE threat, and Dmg Reduction. Warrior tanking is fundamentally about rage management, and the quicker you can reduce Rage costs the more threat you can put out and still have Rage left over for defensive cd's, taunts, and whatever is needed when things don't go as planned. And LFG is full of dps who just want to AoE everything down, so you're gonna need AoE threat too.

Lvl 26 spec/glyphs
    Lvl 30 spec/glyphs
    Lvl 35
    Lvl 40
    Lvl 45
    Lvl 50
    Lvl 55
    Lvl 60

I"m currently not sure which is better for threat, Glyph of Sunder Armor or Glyph of Cleaving, I'm just using the former till I figure that out.

And I'm completely twinked out in BoAs, blues, and purple boots, so I can get away without having Toughness in my leveling build. If I was not as well geared, I'd probably trade Improved Revenge and Puncture for Toughness.

2. Most used abilities: Thunder Clap, Demo Shout, Sunder Armor, Cleave, Revenge, Shield Slam, Shield Bash (on casters), Taunt, Shield Block, Shield Wall, Battle Shout, Bloodrage, Berserker Rage. Make sure they're in easy-to-reach spots on action bars. Intimidating Shout and Commanding Shout are useful too.

3. Unused abilities: Heroic Strike, Rend, Hamstring... Some other stuff in Arms and Fury trees I forget. Everyone says use Heroic Strike as a rage dump, but I find I can completely dump rage using the abilities in #2 without resorting to HS spam too.

4. Anatomy of an AoE pull, starting with 0 Rage (pre-Warbringer):

a. Vigilance the healer or whoever is highest threat on Omen (Ret pally usually if there is one in group).
    b. Start in Battle Stance.
    c. Charge nearest enemy (generates rage), Thunderclap, immediately switch to Defensive stance, get mobs positioned in front
    d. Demoralizing Shout
    e. Tab through targets using Sunder, Cleave, and Thunder Clap.
    f. Shield Slam any that try to run off for dps or heals, or Taunt them if they're out of SS range.
    g. Revenge when it's up, preferably against mobs low on health.

5. Anatomy of a boss pull (pre-Warbringer):

a. Battle Stance
    b. Bloodrage
    c. Retaliation
    d. Charge
    e. Defensive Stance
    f. Shield Slam
    g. Sunder x5, hitting Shield Slam and Revenge when they're up
    h. Keep Sunder up, Shield Slam and Revenge when available. HS or Slam to dump rage if necessary.

Favor high-threat moves like Sunder and SS, Battle Shout when necessary to keep the buff up. Save Bloodrage for emergencies, like when that huntard who thinks he's a tank pulls the next group when you're out of Rage. Berserker Rage when you get stunned (which happens a bit in Scarlet Monastery and Mara).

At 50 I took Warbringer (and Devastate at 51), so the above changed a bit. Now for trash I'm always in Defensive Stance, and for Bosses I only switch to Battle Stance to proc Retaliation, then switch back to Defensive Stance b/f Charging.

I'd recommend macro'ing and keybiding everything too. Warrior class is too complex w/ too many abilities to be a clicker. Edit: By 'macro everything' I don't mean make /castsequence macros or macro HS to every ability. The former will leave you with less class-knowledge at 80 than and the latter will leave you rage-starved all the time. By 'macro everything' I mean macro all your abilities using the following template so you can fit 24 or more on the 1-6 Action Bar keys and a few others:

#showtooltip
    /use [mod:ctrl] ability4;[mod:alt] ability3;[mod:shift] ability2;[nomod] ability1
    The benefit of macro'ing all your abilities like this, instead of just dragging them to the action bar, is that when you level and train, you'll always be using the highest rank ability without having to remember to re-drag it to your action bar. I LFG pug w/ Rankwatch and catch at least one person in every group using downranked abilities.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 02-18-2010 at 08:09 PM.

I did what you did, leveled from about lvl 26ish onward as a prot warrior.
    At the time I didnt have the LFG tool, with it as a tank Im sure you will get plenty of groups.

Depending on how geared you are, you may find that spamming cleave could leave you rage starved, its one of those things you will have to figure out.

I dont have anything else to offer, the reason you are leveling as prot is to learn to be a good tank (nothing like a pug of lower leveled idiots to teach you how to be a good tank) so my advice to you is try things and learn.
    the class is pretty flexible, and as you gain new abilities how you tank will change.
    Once you get shield slam, its a whole new world though - one thing will remain constant - you will learn to mash that tab key

I disagree with macro'ing everything - I went that route originally and now the only think I keep macrod is shield block + shield slam + trinkets -> and even then Im going to be taking the trinkets out of the equation for raiding. When in heroics I use dps trinkets (good ol trusty lavanthors and a dps trinket) so I'll keep my Shield Slam macro there.

The only other macro I use is an intervene macro this way I can target player or enemy alike

#showtooltip Intervene
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance; [help] Intervene; [target=targettarget, help] Intervene

Now that revenge is not as good as sunder armor I dont use it as much, before when I had the revenge glyph I would use

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=5 Revenge, Heroic Strike

To cast revenge and hit it again to queue up the free heroic strike
    This will be a matter of preference, if you use the glyph or not.

Best of luck and welcome to the insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Idjjit View Post
    I disagree with macro'ing everything
    Actually I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Edited post to clarify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idjjit View Post
    The only other macro I use is an intervene macro this way I can target player or enemy alike

#showtooltip Intervene
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance; [help] Intervene; [target=targettarget, help] Intervene
    What does this do? I'm still not familiar with the [nostance:2] modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitigation View Post
    Personally, I loved leveling as Protection. You may kill things alittle slower, but you can kill more at once and it is less downtime.

Not to mention it makes for an easy transition from the grind to the instance.

As for the spec, I didn't deter from the normal Protection spec of the time to incorporate anything unusual. I just continually put points in the talents that I planned to have when I hit 80.

I leveled as Protection from 60->70, 70->80, and I will be doing it as 80->85.
    This pretty much sums up my response. I would lvl to 60 duel wielding as a mix of arms and fury.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

+ Reply to Thread