TL;DR? Skip to the last paragraph
A few months back, I pushed hard to get a character levelled up and into Wrath raiding. In that time, I quested a lot, and completed almost every single quest in Wrath content. Having done that, I didn't want to do questing on my new Paladin tank alt.
So I hit 15 and levelled exclusively through lfg. Yep. My policy has been to continue chaining them with that or any new group until I start getting compliments inbetween pulls. Except now I get them a bit too often and so I grin and usually keep going for a few more hours.
As an aside, I've noticed that complements, constructive criticism and advice only come from skilled teammates. I've very slowly learned patience for tanking for (and teaching) newer people, and even through some spectacular recoveries, they're silent. Maybe they're just embarassed for failing at life.I did a lot of reading before even making the character, but in my grouping time I've learned quite a bit more. Partially due to experience but also due to constructive advice from groupies. (damn, I can't parry from behind? well .. that makes sense.. /facepalm)
I just hit 70, and was able to equip the few pieces of gear I could either win from or convince death knoobs not to ninja. Sigh. Well at least I haven't had another warlock steal a sword.
Before 70, I was able to tank Utgarde Keep once. The second and third times became progressively more difficult. On the third time, we wiped a bunch and really tried hard with tactics.. but it wasn't possible to do.
I wanted to dance around the poles for the end boss, like I did with my first success, but (unless I get lucky again) healers don't have the skill for that. (and druids are just hopeless) Everyone wanted me to stand still and get healed. But even through pots, aura-switching timing and cooldowns don't have the gear for that.
So now I'm pondering my options.
- I don't want to do BC or Wrath questing.
- I don't want to switch specs and dps. I want to tank it all the way.
I don't know if it's just a matter of being burned out from questing everything already or a point of honour to get to 80 solely through tanking using lfg.
- I don't want to be carried by a guild (unguilded).
Another aside.. back in the day I levelled my healer to 70 and I would get a trickle of offers that got stronger and stronger until at 70 people started grooming me to get into raiding. This new lfg so completely obliterates the community concept of pugging that it's next to impossible to make a friend or meet a guild.- I think it would be rude to go through UK and drop out for the last boss.
- I could level up by grinding BC instances, which would be fine if I could actually get groups for the later ones. I'm still pissed that I can't participate in a random lfg for BC instances. But it seems that getting decent gear out of BC won't really help much with Wrath content.
- I could get into heroic BC instances, which I'm considering. But the epic fail that are level 70 players leads me to believe that it would not be much fun. "Why are all those funny icons over their heads? cc, what's that?" I seriously met someone who had no idea what consecrate was. I said he was as dumb as a post, I'd be insulting posts.
It might be valuable for me to get guilded just to meet people and have a proper/regular group for heroics.
- I might be able to position myself to do BC raiding.. maybe get some Kara going. But somehow I doubt that would be lots of fun with the general skill level these days.
- I'm a blacksmith/jewelcrafter. I wish I knew to take mining, but I do have it on a 50 alt. I don't want to drop something to pick up mining since I've already spent a lot of time on skilling up to what I have. My smith/jc levels are too low to craft anything of any value at all, and I'm not sure there is anything particularly valuable for me to craft.. but I'll try this route. Unfortunately it will involve both mining on the alt and levelling the alt to get to the higher level nodes. Alternately I could buy mats on the AH, and I've been working on this, but when they are inflated over 4x their value or mats are simply _not there_ it's really demoralizing.
- I could grind and otherwise work hard for the cash for the overpriced mats. I do hate getting ripped off though. Maybe I should keep the trade channel open and buy direct?
- I've avoided enchanting for some time now, but I think that now my best pieces should be enchanted. I don't know that this would help much.. but every bit counts..
So my general question is: Given the no-quest and lfg-only limitations I've placed on myself, is crafting and enchanting my gear while levelling in BC regulars still the best route to go? What other options are there?
update: looks like the cobalt set is all level 70! I had no idea..
People are saying this is a good starter kit. It looks so, seeing as everything has defense and a silly amount of stamina.