+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMR, good or bad?

MMR, good or bad?

I sometimes find the whole MMR idea rather frustrating. It's rather depressing coming back to arena from a season long break, to find out your MMR is still high, from your previous successful arena ventures. This means your pitted against full relentless teams, when your still running about in your once hard earned furious gear. Sure, it only takes a few weeks to replace Furious with the now ratingless Relentless, but it's nice to get an early headstart in arena so you can have the weapons early on and focus on the rest of the set. An aleternative would be to look for a lesser experienced partner, as your experienced partner is only making the MMR go up, but I don't really want to be in the position of teaching a newcomer the ropes of the trade. So, I just want to hear your views and opinions of MMR. Is it a nice addition which shows you where you stand, or is it a punishment for those who didn't arena the previous seasons? To be honest though, going Prot/Ret is winwin so I'm not entirely on the verge of throwing myself off my imaginary cliff. Yet!

the simple fact is the gear only makes a slight difference, if you're mmr was that high, it assumes you had the skill to win, if you still have those skills the mmr will help you climb back to your "rightful" rating faster, without MMR, you'd be stuck playing in the 0 ratings, winning only 10 points a game.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I agree with what Kazey said. I would also like to point out that if there was no MMR you would still be facing fully geared players as they would be rolling new teams just like you. I remember in TBC the first week was a pain to play during because all you would get was glad teams and get completely stomped :P

You can play down your MMR by losing like 50 games on purpose and then start to play for real. Just join and leave the arena. Maybe get a new team if you don't want that nasty win-loss stat staring at you.

Some good reasonings. However, losing on purpose isn't the best way to get around it. W/L Ratio is something which we value.

High MMR is good... your team rating hovers towards your MMR. If you have a high MMR, each game you win while climbing up from 0 will net you more points than if you had low MMR.

I really like playing against high teams with high MMR, since if you lose, you don't lose too many points. Losing to Low MMR teams, on the other hand...

Anyways, unless you care about Win / Loss ratio more than team rating, I don't see why someone would try to purposely lower their MMR. >.>

+ Reply to Thread