+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DPS issues in Affliction specc

DPS issues in Affliction specc

So I've been Affliction with my warlock for...well, probably about 76, 77. I'm geared close to, if not at, hit-cap for my spells, got Glyph of Life Tap, DoTimer, etc. All that good stuff.

Now, I'm fine on multi-target fights as long as it takes more than two seconds to kill something. the bigger the group, the better I can handle it with Seed of Corruption. (I've gotten close to almost 10k DPS on those pulls on the hill in Pit of Saron and some other places.)

My big problem, is single target fights like boss fights. Last Vault I did, I was able to hit about 3.5k with uninterrupted casting time and things popping off like they should. But we all know Lightweave doesn't always proc, and the trinket doesn't always proc either.

However from what I'm hearing and seeing, we're looking at between 5 and 6k to be in ICC. So my question is: what am I doing wrong, here?

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ecgos&cn=Diend

aaand you can probably wow-heroes me if you want as I can't seem to get a link for that.

Usually my rotation is something along the lines of...

Haunt->Unstable Affliction->Curse of Agony->Corruption->Shadowbolt filler

Now, I have moved Curse of Elements to my bar since it does seem to make a bit of a difference, however with the 'one Curse per Warlock' thing, I'm missing out on CoA. Should I really be sacrificing that?

I do know that I need a new trinket, and not all of the stuff is of the best ilevel, but I'm working with what I've got and learning as I go since I don't really have anyone I can ask in terms of what's better, etc.

Also, before anyone says it, no, I'm not going Destro. I've toyed with it before, and it just produces sub-par numbers for me. Just don't work, just doesn't feel right, so no. nothing doing on that front.

I've seen other Affliction locks top the charts doing 5,6,7k. what am I missing? Any advice at all would be appreciated.
    "I don't have a dream, so I protect the dreams of others."~Inui Takumi

Enchanting all your gear is a good start, yes missing a few enchants will impact your dps in a noticeable way.

You're actually over hit cap, 16.66% from gear + 3% Suppression is 19.66% and you only need 17%. You should have Soul Siphon maxed out, as Drain Soul becomes your new filler spell instead of Shadow Bolt once the boss hits "execute range" (under 25%) and it gains damage for each affliction spell you have up.

The following info about stat priorities is pulled from Elitist Jerks:

For a Naxxramas starter gear / Ulduar Starter Gear / Colliseum Starter Gear / Icecrown Starter Gear, the stat-to-dps ratios of these are:
    (Can't get this to space properly, sorry, just color coordinate it or view here: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37900-d...ead/#Key_Stats)

Stat early T7 early T8 / high end T7 early T9 / high end T8 early T10 / high end T9
    hit rating 1.097 1.737 1.977 2.40
    spell power 1.295 1.649 1.692 1.77
    haste rating 0.626 1.396 1.663 1.95
    crit rating 0.522 0.868 0.949 1.16
    spirit 0.661 0.841 0.863 0.90
    int 0.158 0.315 0.342 0.42

Before being hit capped, Hit Rating is the highest DPS stat you can get. After being Hit Capped it gives 0 dps returns and Spell Power becomes the best point-for-point dps stat until T10 gear, where Haste becomes the best point-for-point. Crit Rating should not be gemmed for, as it gives low dps returns compared to Haste, for all gear levels.

The current top dps Affliction spec is: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IfxbbzMAoiAoIktZE00V:ITn

Rotation should be something like this: Rank 1 Life Tap/Dark Pact before the pull for the Spell Power boost, Shadow Bolt for Shadow Embrace debuff, Haunt, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, Cure of Agony, Shadow Bolt / Drain Soul* (*If boss is under 25% health, keep affliction debuffs up for max effect.)

Make sure you do not refresh dots before they run their full duration, this will cost you dps. Do not recast Corruption after the first application, Everlasting Affliction will keep it up. Make sure you Life Tap / Dark Pact a few seconds before the spell power buff wears off.
    Last edited by GŁth; 02-16-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Formatting.

+ Reply to Thread