+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Cataclysm Holy Paladin Guide

Thank you Skaggi... Understood. As I'm only running Heroic 5-mans I certainly don't need all the Raid Utility from Prot so that makes sense to me. And the Crit providing some MP5 makes sense for me to stick with Holy/Ret.

I have no issues with Using HoL and had a wee shot healing myself with HoL to see how long I could last (even with my mana pool as it is) and did ok - lasted about a minute or so (with no DP etc), maybe a little longer so fine for Herioc 5man I reckon. Only concern I have is if I grab a PuG with a Tank that powers through at the speed a light (a bit like I try and do when I tank - hehe) without checking my mana (UNLIKE my tank ).

I'm using Clique with Pitbull and currently have Shift+Left Click = FoL, CTRL+Left Click = HL so will just swap them around (only reason I was favouring HoL).

Gonna farm emblems for the Libram you mentioned tonight and then go get some better gear (Mostly emblem of triumph farming too I guess)... So thank you again. All this Healadin stuff is starting to make sense... And I'm beginning to enjoy healing too... Such a different view - I LIKE!

Great guide!

There are just a few things I think could be mentioned:
    The lack of a GCD on things like Divine Favor and Divine Illumination allow them to be macroed quite easily. This wasn't mentioned under the spells themselves or in your macros section (I just skimmed the rest of the guide, so if its mentioned elsewhere, this is all a moot point). Personally I have two macros set up:

Any time I cast HS, it's prefixed with a Divine Favor. I don't cast HS all that often, usually just when I have to do a lot of movement (Heroic Princes, for example - I'm in charge of the warlock tank and that player moves around quite a bit), so the CD on Divine Favor is up 99% of the time. The macro is a simple:
    /cast Divine Favor
    /cast Holy Shock

I also have a little script in there to clear the UI so I don't get "That spell isn't ready yet" errors should DF not be off CD (have this script in my HL/DI macro as well, mentioned below). I'm at work so I can't look it up right now.

Secondly, linking Holy Light and Divine Illumination. This one might not work for everybody, but I was finding that I wasn't really using DI until I was in a "crunch" situation, so at least having it macroed meant I was getting use out of the spell and as I play HL-style, I use DI as soon as its available. If you remember to use it often, this might not be necessary.

I also have my trinket (the 245 one, Talisman of resurgence) linked to my FoL. Again, not necessary, but I find I don't use my CDs until its too late otherwise.

Sorry for not responding, I've been caught up in SC2 since its release! I'll catchup tomorrow

So, I'll definitely make a new guide at level 85. The question is, do people see a want or need for a quick video guide of the new talents before Cata is released?

I've taken down most of the old guide since it will no longer be applicable. Stay tuned for updates as I begin work on a new guide. The full version won't be released until I hit 85 in the expansion on my Holy Paladin, but I will try to do some stuff with the changes already made in 4.01.

Also, my new reservation brackets remind me of Dunkin' Donuts, oh well.

Video guide is up for 4.01

Your spec's nearly identical to mine heh, except I put 3 points into divinity instead of paragon of virtue and the 1 point in crusade. Gonna stick the rest of my points into ret once cata's out and I'm leveling.

Interesting fact I noticed yesterday, when you cast light of dawn, protector of the innocent procs twice. So you get the light of dawn heal on yourself, then 2 PoI heals, which is cool.

Ka Pai, GMT+12 recruiting now!

I noticed a lot of little quirks like that when I was playing with it earlier, but I'm uncertain if they're bugs or intended. I'll have to make note of them next time.

Right now I don't expect much variance in the specs, however, I listed a good number of things as optional and once people hit 85 I wouldn't be surprised to see people with some interesting setups. I was really tempted to drop some points (precisely from Paragon and Crusade in fact) to pick up Divinity. I still may do so, but it's not a major issue since I'm not sure I'm going to raid much before Cata, going to focus on leveling my Warrior and Priest. I have a Rogue at level 10 to level after Cata comes out too, but I'll be getting my 80s to 85 first and such.

The 4.01 mini-guide is completely finished now. I, of course, will update it as theorycrafting and time allows for new findings. Things may change, our understanding may become different. Until then, this is the best I've got. Hopefully it will help anyone confused and lost in the new 4.01 world. Thanks!

Edit:
    Because showing off in one place isn't as cool as showing off in two, my HPW system is BETTER than yours!

No Holy Power.

1 Holy Power!

2 Holy Power!!

3 Holy Power!!!
    Last edited by Chamenas; 10-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.

...I want that ;o; Share now.

It's done with Power Auras.

You'll need these:
    Holy Power Image 1
    Holy Power Image 2
    Holy Power Image 3
    Holy Power Image 4

I'll share the Power Auras exports when I log onto my Holy Paladin next, or, if you're clever, you can figure it out on your own.

I've considered making my own addon for it, since the Power Auras one doesn't work perfectly, but that would require a decent amount of work on my part and I'm not certain I'm up for learning how to make Addons yet. Lots of other things on my mind.
    Last edited by Chamenas; 10-14-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Once I saw your images I went digging through power auras to figure it out. Funnily enough, there's 2-3 different icons that can all link up with each other.

1 Holy Power:

Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; anim1:4; g:0.8118; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; buffname:1; bufftype:10; texture:65; threshold:1; PowerType:9; size:1.02; texmode:2; finish:3
    2 Holy Power:

Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; anim1:4; g:0.8157; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; bufftype:10; texture:66; threshold:2; PowerType:9; size:1.02; texmode:2; finish:3
    3 Holy Power:

Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; anim1:4; g:0.8863; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; bufftype:10; texture:67; threshold:3; PowerType:9; size:1.02; texmode:2; finish:3
    I'm assuming Lulias power auras code would look something like that, just with different icons.

I actually use the default unit frames (wtb cpu upgrade), but in the couple of heroics I did this was a far easier method of watching holy power.
    Last edited by Soan; 10-13-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Yeah, mine has 4 levels of it and uses my icons instead, layering over one another. I've noticed it bug once and show 3 charges of Holy Power when I had none though, and it looks funky with the layering (if you look at the screen shot with two HPW) which REALLY makes me want to figure out making the Addons myself. I'm a fairly handy scripter, but the WoW API frightens me.

Making something similar for Warlocks, but Power Auras is having difficulties with it, all the more reason to motivate me to maybe just make an Addon myself to deal with it:
    Soul Shard :: Power Auras

Edit: Bed time for me, I'll export my specific Power Auras stuff for HPW tomorrow, but Odene's post is immensely helpful in bridging the gap for anyone who can't possibly wait. :P

In case anyone was curious, I just added what mine look like into my previous post. Not as flashy as Lulias, but they work for me.

ICEHUD also has the holy power icons working just fine for the latest patch, scalable size and moveable (in case anyone wanted to know).

I found a neat little addon that tracks my HPW that I'm very happy with. Here it is - The pink boxes above my ag frame. Yea my ui is a bit fucked at the moment, grid and my cast bar not working )= And i haven't fixed my keybinds and pulled out my new ability's.
    http://i54.tinypic.com/2rdw0sz.jpg

Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; g:0.6745; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; x:3; customname:HPW0.tga; bufftype:10; alpha:1; isResting:0; threshold:0; PowerType:9; customtex:true; size:0.82; torsion:1.5; y:55
    Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; g:0.5725; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; x:3; customname:HPW1.tga; bufftype:10; alpha:1; isResting:0; threshold:1; PowerType:9; customtex:true; size:0.82; torsion:1.5; y:55
    Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; g:0.4235; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; x:3; customname:HPW2.tga; bufftype:10; alpha:1; isResting:0; threshold:2; PowerType:9; customtex:true; size:0.82; torsion:1.5; y:55
    Code:
    Version:3.0.0W; b:0; g:0.6078; thresholdinvert:true; icon:Spell_fire_meteorstorm; x:3; customname:HPW3.tga; bufftype:10; alpha:1; isResting:0; threshold:3; PowerType:9; customtex:true; size:0.82; torsion:1.5; y:55
    Remember that you'll need my images for this to work as well. I'll consolidate this into one post in the Misc. section.

When healing a heroic last night, I found my postulation of using Holy Light with Holy Shock on CD to be mostly correct. The healing from it was weak and, in the face of heavier damage, you'd need a bit more. I also neglected to use Word of Glory as often as I should have and could probably have tossed Flash of Light in a bit more.
    Last edited by Chamenas; 10-14-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Blah I could never get power auras to work for me. And after the raid I did with my pally... ugh =__= Thanks for posting it!

Hi Lulia, thanks for this, especially the PowerAuras help, its greatly appreciated.

One problem, your links all take me to the same file download on Filefront, HPW3.tga is the only one they go to. I was really wanting to use your custom icons!

Quote Originally Posted by ultrasnarl View Post
    Hi Lulia, thanks for this, especially the PowerAuras help, its greatly appreciated.

One problem, your links all take me to the same file download on Filefront, HPW3.tga is the only one they go to. I was really wanting to use your custom icons!
    Fixed the links in the first post. Thanks for letting me know.

+ Reply to Thread