+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

Thread: WotLK Restoration Druid Guide

  1. #1

    WotLK Restoration Druid Guide







    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Restoration Druid Class guide. My name is Llego, and in this guide I will cover all of the information you need to know about healing as a druid. This information is compiled for patch 3.2.2, and as such some or all of it may become obsolete.

    In this guide I will discuss the spells you will use while healing as a druid, how to properly spec and glyph your character, as well as enchants, gems, and item enhancements that will make your job just a little bit easier.

    Within the restoration tree you can opt to choose talents that will make you an exceptional raid healer, or a capable tank healer with raid support. Let’s take a look at the spells we will most commonly use as restoration druids:


    Nourish
    Rejuvenation
    Wild Growth
    Regrowth
    Swiftmend
    Lifebloom

    Spells not as commonly used by most resto druids include:


    Remove Curse
    Abolish Poison
    Healing Touch
    Tranquility

    Although these spells are not as commonly used, it will still be beneficial for you to know what they do and have them readily available at a moment’s notice, should the need arise. In fact, there are a few encounters as to which some of these abilities are vital to the success or failure of your raid.

    Here are a few other things to remember:
    Each spell will scale with the amount of spell power you have. You can also increase the effect of some spells by adding talent points into specific places within the restoration tree or the balance tree. This brings me to the next part of the guide: spec. There are many talents available to the restoration druid, some are very important to you being a successful healer, while others are interchangeable depending on your role and the specific encounter for which you will be healing.





    ***SPEC***
    Required Balance Talents:
    Starting in the balance tree, you will want to take Genesis, which increases the amount of healing done by your heal over time spells by 5%. The next talent you will want to take in the balance tree is Moonglow. Moonglow is useful because it Reduces the mana cost of your Moonfire, Starfire, Starfall, Wrath, Healing Touch, Nourish, Regrowth and Rejuvenation spells by 9%. The next talent is Nature’s Majesty. Nature’s Majesty increases the critical strike chance of your Wrath, Starfire, Starfall, Nourish and Healing Touch spells by 4%. This becomes an important talent because of Natures Grace, which brings me to the next talent you should take as a raiding restoration druid. Nature’s Grace is a talent that proc’s off of spell critical strikes. Nature’s Grace has a 100% chance to grace you with a blessing of nature, increasing your spell casting speed by 20% for 3 sec when a spell critical strike occurs. Moving over to Nature’s Splendor, this talent increases the duration of your Moonfire and Rejuvenation spells by 3 sec, your Regrowth spell by 6 sec, and your Insect Swarm and Lifebloom spells by 2 sec. This talent gives healing druids the ability to focus on other damage sources while not having to worry about heal over time spells falling off of a tank, or the ability to keep your heal over time spells active on more raid members without having to refresh them as often.

    Optional Balance Talents:
    Brambles: This talent should ONLY be taken if you are lacking a great deal of haste, and only 1 point should be spent in it to unlock the next tier of talents in the balance tree. Brambles, at rank 1 enables damage from your Thorns and Entangling Roots to be increased by 25% and damage done by your Treants is increased by 5%. In addition, damage from your Treants and attacks done to you while you have Barkskin active have a 5% chance to daze the target for 3 sec. Brambles is only taken to unlock Celestial Focus, which at 3 of 3 points reduces the pushback suffered from damaging attacks while casting Starfire, Hibernate and Hurricane by 70% and increases your total spell haste by 3%. As I said earlier, you should only take celestial focus if you are lacking haste, which I will discuss the importance of later in the guide.

    Required Restoration Talents:
    Any raiding druid will have the talent Improved Mark of the Wild, which increases the effects of your Mark of the Wild and Gift of the Wild spells by 40%, and increases all of your total attributes by 2%. It is important for each druid to take this because of the 2% increase in attributes.

    The next talent is Nature’s Focus. This is an important talent to take for both raiding and solo questing and/or Player versus Player. Nature’s Focus reduces the pushback suffered from damaging attacks while casting Healing Touch, Wrath, Entangling Roots, Cyclone, Nourish, Regrowth and Tranquility by 70%.

    Natural Shapeshifter, which reduces the mana cost of shapeshifting by 30%, is taken largely due to the talent that it unlocks below it is Master Shapeshifter. Master Shapeshifter grants an effect which lasts while the Druid is within the respective shapeshift form. For restoration druids this would be Tree of Life form. The benefit received from Master Shapeshifter as a restoration druid while in Tree of Life Form is that your healing done is increased by 4% when you spend two points in this talent.

    In the same tier as Master Shapeshifter is Omen of Clarity. This talent has the chance to allow a “free” spell. That is, each of the Druid's damage, healing spells and auto attacks has a chance of causing the caster to enter a Clearcasting state. The Clearcasting state reduces the Mana, Rage or Energy cost of your next damage, healing spell or offensive ability by 100%. On the left of the 3rd tier of restoration talents is Intensity. Three points in intensity will allow 50% of the druids’ mana regeneration to continue while casting (While inside the five second rule.)

    As I stated earlier, there are talents that increase the effectiveness of your healing spells, and this is where those talents are located in the restoration tree. Improved Rejuvenation, with 3 points spent in this talent, you will increases the effect of your Rejuvenation spell by 15%. Natures Swiftness is the next talent that you should take. Nature’s Swiftness provides; when activated, your next nature spell with a base casting time less than 10 seconds becomes an instant cast spell. This is a very powerful spell when combined with a spell with a long cast time, such as healing touch. In the same tier as Nature’s Swiftness is Gift of Nature. What this talent does is, at 5 points spent, increases the effect of your healing spells by 10%. Nature’s Bounty, in tier 6 of the restoration tree increases the critical effect chance of your Regrowth and Nourish spells by 25%. This is to make up for the lack of critical strike rating on a lot of leather gear available, as druids are not as reliant on critical strike rating from gear as Paladins or Priests have become.

    Living Spirit, the first talent in tier 7 increases the druids’ spirit by 15% at 3 points. Druids gain spell power and out of combat health and mana regeneration from spirit, so this is a very valuable talent to pick up.

    The next talent in tier 7 is Swiftmend. This spell is a very powerful spell with a 15 second cooldown. Swiftmend consumes a Rejuvenation or Regrowth effect on a friendly target to instantly heal them an amount equal to 12 seconds of Rejuvenation or 18 seconds of Regrowth. Getting closer toward the bottom of the restoration tree, Empowered Rejuvenation will increase the bonus from your heal over time spells by an additional 20%. Since druids mainly rely on their heal over time spells, this is a very important talent to take for simply that fact, but it also unlocks Tree of Life form, the shapeshift form that you will be healing in almost all of the time during a raid. Tree of Life reduces the mana cost of your healing over time spells by 20% and grants the ability to shapeshift into the Tree of Life. While in tree form you increase healing received by 6% for all party and raid members within 45 yards, but you are only able to cast restoration spells in addition to Innervate, Barkskin, Nature's Grasp and Thorns. Adding one point in to Tree of Life unlocks Improved Tree of Life, which increases your armor contribution from items while in Tree of Life Form by 200%, and more importantly increases your healing spell power by 15% of your spirit while in Tree of Life Form.

    The next talent you should take is Gift of the Earthmother. This talent reduces the base global cooldown of your Rejuvenation, Lifebloom, and Wild Growth spells by 20% at 5 points. Since these instant cast spells have a 1.5 second global cooldown, the extra 20% haste on these spells is an amazing talent to pick up.

    The last “required” talent for the raiding restoration druid is Wild Growth. This is the druids very powerful area of effect heal over time. This spell heals up to 5 friendly party or raid members within 15 yards of the target. The amount healed is applied quickly at first, and slows down as the Wild Growth reaches its full duration. As I said earlier, it is important to remember that each healing spell will scale with the amount of spell power that you have. You may notice that you will not be able to acquire the last few tiers of restoration talents with only the talents I have discussed so far. The next part of the guide will cover some of the filler talents that you will need to decide between for your play style.




    Optional Restoration Talents:
    Subtlety reduces the threat caused by your restoration spells by 10, 20, or 30%, and reduces the chance for our heal and damaging over time spells to be dispelled by a percentage based on the rank of the talent you take. The second part of the talent is not nearly as useful for Player versus Environment encounters as the threat reduction, but will come in handy for other tasks outside of raiding. I recommend spending two talent points here, largely because this talent is better than naturalist and by using the required talents alone, you do not have enough points spent to continue down the tree.

    Naturalist reduces that cast time of healing touch by .1 seconds for each point you spend in this talent. It also increases physical damage dealt by the druid in all forms. I do not recommend taking this talent, as healing touch is hardly ever used unless it is glyphed.

    Tranquil Spirit reduces the mana cost of Healing Touch, Nourish, and Tranquility by 2% per point that you spend in taking this talent. I recommend putting one point into this talent.

    The Empowered Touch talent increases the amount healed by healing touch and nourish by 20% and 10%, respectively. Since neither of these spells are used as often as our heal over times, I do not recommend putting any points into this talent.

    Natural Perfection is a talent that increases your critical strike chance with all spells by 1% per point in the talent, and upon receiving a damaging critical strike; you gain a buff that reduces damage taken by 2% for 12 seconds (Which goes up by 2% for each point in the talent as well.) The buff will stack up to 3 times. I recommend putting one point into this talent.

    Living Seed will place a seed on a friendly target of yours that has received a spell critical strike. On the next attack, the seed will bloom and heal them for 30% of the initial amount healed. I recommend putting all three points into this talent.

    Revitalize is similar to replenishment, but doesn’t have near the up time that replenishment does. Revitalize gives your Rejuvenation and Wild Growth spells a 15% chance to restore 8 Energy, 4 Rage, 1% Mana or 16 Runic Power per tick. This may not sound like a lot, but over the course of a fight these small restorations of power can be very helpful in sustaining threat, damage, or healing. I recommend putting all three points into this talent as well.

    That should cover any questions you may have about talents, I’m going to move on to gearing, gemming, and glyphs for the next part of the guide




    ***Glyphs***
    Major Glyphs that I recommend using are the:
    Glyph of Wild Growth – The Glyph of Wild growth gives your Wild Growth spell the ability to hit one extra target, increasing the number to 6.
    Glyph of Rejuvenation – This glyph increases the amount healed by Rejuvenation by 50% is the target of the spell is below 50% health.
    Glyph of Swiftmend – This glyph will allow your Swiftmend spell to no longer consume a Rejuvenation or a Regrowth spell from your target.
    Other options available for restoration druids are:
    Glyph of Healing Touch - Decreases the cast time of Healing Touch by 1.5 sec, the mana cost by 25%, and the amount healed by 50%.
    Glyph of Lifebloom - Increases the duration of Lifebloom by 1 sec.
    Glyph of Nourish - Your Nourish heals an additional 6% for each of your heal over time effects present on the target.

    These 3 glyphs are viable options to replace one of the 3 recommended glyphs, but they will not as greatly increase your healing output. On to minor glyphs! Minor glyphs are available in a wide array to druids. The only extremely important one to have is the Glyph of Unburdened Rebirth. This glyph allows your rebirth spell to no longer require a reagent. Another valuable minor glyph to use is the Glyph of the Wild. The Glyph of the Wild is great for buffing, as it reduces the mana cost of Mark of the Wild and Gift of the Wild by 50%. This will not only save mana and let you spend less time drinking to fill your mana back up, but it is also beneficial to have when you need to buff someone who has been the recipient of a combat resurrection. Other minor glyphs that I recommend are either the Glyph of Thorns, which increases the duration of your thorns spell by 50 minutes when cast on yourself; or the Glyph of Aquatic Form, which increases your swim speed while in aquatic form by an additional 50%.




    ***Gearing Your Druid for Healing***
    This is how I rate stats in order of their benefit:
    -Spell Power
    -Intellect/Spirit
    -Crit/Haste

    Spell Power is the bread and butter stat for druids. This is your most valuable healing output stat, and will always be on gear that you should desire to have.

    Intellect is a stat that is commonly and mistakenly frowned upon for restoration druids. Intellect both increases your mana pool, which in turn increases your regeneration from Replenishment, but also increases your spell critical rating. When specced properly, Druids gain spell power from spirit. Spirit also increases your out of combat mana and health regeneration. These two stats can be very tricky; you should never stack one at the expense of the other.

    Haste and Critical Strike rating are both very powerful stats, but stacking one over the other is generally not the best idea. It is best to at least reach the “soft cap” for haste before you begin looking for items with crit. The soft cap for haste is almost exactly 365. Having more of this stat is never a bad thing, but at the soft cap your global cooldown is at one second. As I noted earlier, spell critical strikes will activate Nature’s Grace, which increases spell casting speed by 20%, and if you are lucky enough to have the four piece tier 9 bonus, rejuvenation now has the ability to crit.

    Gems
    Gem slots can also be very tricky. I’ll go over some recommendations for you to use in this part of the guide. I’m only going to cover epic gems, as they are actually quite easy to acquire via heroic dungeon emblem turn ins or honor from PvP.

    For blue slots you should always consider using the 12 spell power and 10 spirit gems. This gem is called the Purified Dreadstone.

    When you have red slot for a gem, 23 spell power is the gem you should use. This gem is known as the Runed Cardinal Ruby.

    For yellow slots, you really have two options. The first is the Luminous Ametrine, which is 12 spell power and 10 intellect. The other option you have is the Reckless Ametrine, which is 12 spell power and 10 haste rating. I only recommend using the Reckless Ametrine if you are low on haste.

    For your meta gem, there are several options. The one that I use is the Insightful Earthsiege Diamond, which gives 21 intellect and has a chance to restore mana upon spell cast. Other meta gems you can use are the Ember Skyflare Diamond that gives 25 spell power and 2% intellect, and the Tireless Skyflare Diamond, which grants you 25 spell power and a slight increase to your run speed.



    ***Item Enhancements/Enchants***
    For this section of the guide, I’m going to cover what you should and shouldn’t enchant your gear with.

    Starting off with your helm, you should acquire the Arcanum of Blissful Mending, which adds 30 spell power and 10 mana per 5 seconds to the item. This item is available at revered from The Wyrmrest Accord. Alternatively, you can choose to use the Arcanum of Burning Mysteries, which gives 30 spell power and 20 critical strike rating to the helm slot. This is available from the Kirin Tor in Dalaran when you become revered with the faction.

    Moving on to the shoulder slot, you should use items available from the Sons of Hodir faction. I choose to use the Greater Inscription of the Storm that adds 24 spell power and 15 critical strike rating. You may also choose to use the Greater Inscription of the Crag, which adds 24 spell power and 8 mana per 5 seconds. Both of these items are available once you are exalted with the Sons of Hodir.

    You have two options for your cloak as well. Enchant Cloak – Greater Speed, and Enchant Cloak – Wisdom are both very viable options. I personally choose to go with Greater Speed because I find the 23 haste as being more beneficial than the 10 spirit and 2% threat reduction given by Wisdom.

    On your chest, the best and only enchant that you should use is Enchant Chest – Powerful Stats. This gives you 10 points to all of your stats.

    For your leg enchant, you should use the Brilliant Spellthread. Brilliant Spellthread adds 50 spell power and 20 spirit to your pants. This is more beneficial than the Sapphire Spellthread due to the fact that we will find stamina on all of our gear, and the benefits from the spirit available on the Brilliant Spellthread.

    For your boots, there are several options as to how you may enchant them. The enchant that I choose to use is Tuskarr’s Vitality, which adds 15 stamina and a minor increase to your run speed. Other enchants you may want to use are Enchant Boots – Greater Spirit, giving 18 spirit, or Enchant Boots – Greater Vitality, that adds seven mana and health per 5 seconds to this slot.

    For all other items, you should enchant them with the highest available spellpower enchant.

    That wraps up the guide for the Restoration Druid. If you have any questions or comments feel free to add them as a reply to this post!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA-VA
    Posts
    122
    I've been looking forward to this guide, so thanks very much. Excellent guide will all the necessary information!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    154
    Nice guide as I have only played as a feral druid but have now enough gear to try resto out.

    From looking at Living Seed it doesn't seem to be worth the points.

    Am I missing something?

    Also the glyph of Rejuv, does it give additional healing only if the target is below 50% when it is cast or will it work if they drop below 50% while the rejuv is on them?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Predakhan View Post
    Nice guide as I have only played as a feral druid but have now enough gear to try resto out.

    From looking at Living Seed it doesn't seem to be worth the points.

    Am I missing something?

    Also the glyph of Rejuv, does it give additional healing only if the target is below 50% when it is cast or will it work if they drop below 50% while the rejuv is on them?
    Living seed is actually a really strong spell, somewhat like prayer of mending. One gripe I have about it is that a lot of times it will go to overhealing; but its still more valuable than Empowered Touch because at the end of the night I'll find I've used nourish maybe 10 times total compared to the 2k+ rejuvenations. The glyph of lifebloom is actually better for ToC because there aren't a lot of fights in which people will drop and stay below 50% (Iron Council, Freya x3, and Algalon are the fights the I see the best results with the glyph of rejuvenation) About glyph of rejuvenation, it does not need to be applied after the target is below 50% for the extra healing to take place.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    131
    Since most druids reach a level at which they are swimming in mana and regen, I'd like to note that when mana no longer becomes an issue for you, the Ember Skyflare Diamond becomes a much better choice than the Insightful Earthsiege Diamond. This also makes me favor the Arcanum of Burning Mysteries over the Arcanum of Blissful Mending especially if you are taking all the crit talents, living seed, and are using nourish to its full potential. I know some druids don't use and or don't understand the greatness that is nourish :-)

    Love the guide, very good job.

    Also, to answer Predakhan, Living Seed is a good talent if you find yourself tank healing and or using nourish a lot to heal spiky raid damage that WG can't exactly heal up. Plus, I just don't see anything else in the tree worth the points.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    122
    I could be missing it somewhere, but I'd love to see something on spell rotation, priorities. Great guide otherwise though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Good job on the video guide, it's definitely a good source of information for beginners as well as people who aren't sure where to look for info.

    However, there are a few things that I noticed are not 100% accurate, and i'll do my best to list those and give my reasons why:

    1. Nature’s Grace - It is a very popular talent, but it doesn't find it's way into every common resto build. 11/0/60 for example does not take it. The only problem with this talent is that to make use of it, it forces another non-instant cast heal to be cast in the next 3 seconds, and in many cases hots will do the job and therefore the buff will go unused.

    2. Subtlety - This is really not an optional talent considering your other 2 options (Furor and Naturalist) are next to useless. The only discussion here is whether to put in 2 or 3 points.

    3. Natural Perfection - Although 1% crit per point may sound nice, it's actually not so great for resto druids considering the amount of crit found on gear and the high usage of hots. The other effects the talent gives should be basically useless in PvE, if you're taking critical strikes as a resto druid, you (or your tanks) are doing something wrong. Any points spent here are points that can be more effectively spent in Tranquil Spirit or even in Empowered Touch.

    4. Empowered Touch - If you are a resto druid who still refuses to use Nourish, you're playing your class wrong. Nourish has turned into a great flash heal and can be extremely useful at taking care of random spike damage. This talent should definately take priority over Natural Perfection.

    5. Glyph of Rejuvenation - It saddens me to see resto druid using this glyph, and here's why. Essentially it increases healing done to targets affected by Rejuvenation by 50% when they are below 50% health. If raid members are below 50% for more than a couple seconds, the healers are not being very effective. Members should not be allowed to drop bellow 50% at (almost) any point, and even if they do 1 quick heal should undoubtedly bring them back up above 50% eliminating the effect of the glyph. Glyph of Nourish, Innervate and even Rebirth are better choices than this glyph.

    6. Intellect - Sure Intellect is a nice stat to have, like you said increases crit and you mana pool. But unless you're at the soft cap for haste, it shouldn't be more important than haste. Doesn't matter how big your mana pool is if your spell casting and global cooldowns kept you from getting heals off in time to save a raid member.

    Theorycrafting becomes more vague when it comes to healers, mainly because you can't apply the same kind of formulas you would to DPS. But overall you have created a good guide. The only other thing i'd recommend at least one healing guide creator should do is go over raid frames because they can make the difference between an effective healer and a "heal and pray" healer.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Crupt View Post
    Good job on the video guide, it's definitely a good source of information for beginners as well as people who aren't sure where to look for info.

    However, there are a few things that I noticed are not 100% accurate, and i'll do my best to list those and give my reasons why:

    1. Nature’s Grace - It is a very popular talent, but it doesn't find it's way into every common resto build. 11/0/60 for example does not take it. The only problem with this talent is that to make use of it, it forces another non-instant cast heal to be cast in the next 3 seconds, and in many cases hots will do the job and therefore the buff will go unused.

    2. Subtlety - This is really not an optional talent considering your other 2 options (Furor and Naturalist) are next to useless. The only discussion here is whether to put in 2 or 3 points.

    3. Natural Perfection - Although 1% crit per point may sound nice, it's actually not so great for resto druids considering the amount of crit found on gear and the high usage of hots. The other effects the talent gives should be basically useless in PvE, if you're taking critical strikes as a resto druid, you (or your tanks) are doing something wrong. Any points spent here are points that can be more effectively spent in Tranquil Spirit or even in Empowered Touch.

    4. Empowered Touch - If you are a resto druid who still refuses to use Nourish, you're playing your class wrong. Nourish has turned into a great flash heal and can be extremely useful at taking care of random spike damage. This talent should definately take priority over Natural Perfection.

    5. Glyph of Rejuvenation - It saddens me to see resto druid using this glyph, and here's why. Essentially it increases healing done to targets affected by Rejuvenation by 50% when they are below 50% health. If raid members are below 50% for more than a couple seconds, the healers are not being very effective. Members should not be allowed to drop bellow 50% at (almost) any point, and even if they do 1 quick heal should undoubtedly bring them back up above 50% eliminating the effect of the glyph. Glyph of Nourish, Innervate and even Rebirth are better choices than this glyph.

    6. Intellect - Sure Intellect is a nice stat to have, like you said increases crit and you mana pool. But unless you're at the soft cap for haste, it shouldn't be more important than haste. Doesn't matter how big your mana pool is if your spell casting and global cooldowns kept you from getting heals off in time to save a raid member.

    Theorycrafting becomes more vague when it comes to healers, mainly because you can't apply the same kind of formulas you would to DPS. But overall you have created a good guide. The only other thing i'd recommend at least one healing guide creator should do is go over raid frames because they can make the difference between an effective healer and a "heal and pray" healer.
    If you have read the replies so far you'll see that I said the glyph of rejuvenation is pretty situational, and I mainly use the glyph of lifebloom now. I disagree with a lot of what you said, but the beauty of healing is that not everyone is right. The 11/0/60 spec is so uncommon, and natures grace is too powerful to pass up. Who cares if you waste a proc, at least its not points in a talent for a spell you're forcing yourself to use no matter how bad it is. Intellect/Spirit/Crit/Haste are pretty hard things to cover, because nobody agrees on them. You are right that the soft cap should be reached, but I'm pretty sure without saying exactly that in the gemming section of the guide, I said something like "use these gems unless you're lacking haste."

    Natural perfection is a talent that I personally choose to take because of my gear and the healers that I run with, empowered touch is something that I don't take because I never have the need to use nourish, either because I'm staying mobile during encounters or because the healing simply isn't needed. I'd be interested to see some logs of druids who claim nourish to be so good to see what their most used spells are.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    I love the videos

    I have been working hard on my druid, Bethibus, and wondered if there was any hints or tips on healing? I guess I sound newbish, but I was referring to like raid healing do's and don't or possibly a demonstration video. I seem to do pretty well, but I want to push my character to do her best. I appreciate the help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7
    would have been nice if you had still been around when my druid hit 80 on kalecgos lol...great guide, linking to it from our guild website

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    129
    Thanks for such a detailed and well organized guide. I've never played a restoration druid before, but this gives me a much better understanding of how they work.

    A bit of feedback on the video itself - while the narrated information is great, the video presentation could use some more visual information. Is it possible to add bullet point lists of the spells to the video as you talk about them? So, as you say "Rejuvenation", an enlarged Rejuv tooltip comes up at the top of the screen, and then when you say "Swiftmend" an enlarged SM tooltip comes up just below Rejuv. Or just white enlarged text. This would help people who are visual learners.

    Likewise, it would be helpful to see how a resto druid heals in action. I'd love to see some footage of how you heal in a heroic or a raid.

    Thanks again for the video guide, and I hope the feedback was helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Hey there, this is a pretty good guide you've got set up here. I don't necessarily agree with everything, I'll explain later, but it's a great starting guide for a resto druid. I was kind of hoping for something that might help me hone my skills a little further, but that's okay.

    My first real issue is with you praising Nature's Grace as a great talent to take. While I don't necessarily disagree that it's useful - I ran with that talent for a long time - it seems to me like a waste of three points. It especially becomes problematic when you also say that you don't like to use spells like Nourish, since you're always on the move. While that's admirable, I like to stay on the move too, if you're going to take a talent like Nature's Grace, if you don't use Nourish, what spell is it benefiting? If you say Healing Touch, you're a liar. :P I kid, I kid. But really, if you're not Nourishing, then you're not getting much benefit out of Nature's Grace.

    My real problem with Nature's Grace is that it's three points. That's a huge investment that could be better spent elsewhere. Myself, I went with Empowered Touch. Healing on Algalon and Anub hard-mode (10m) I end up getting saddled with a lot of hybrid raid/MT healing, and being able to throw out a big juicy Nourish is really helpful.

    But anyway, that's really all I had to add to that for now. Like everything with healers, it's definitely up for discussion, and I don't think there's any one right answer.

    Cheers!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleLurn View Post
    Hey there, this is a pretty good guide you've got set up here. I don't necessarily agree with everything, I'll explain later, but it's a great starting guide for a resto druid. I was kind of hoping for something that might help me hone my skills a little further, but that's okay.

    My first real issue is with you praising Nature's Grace as a great talent to take. While I don't necessarily disagree that it's useful - I ran with that talent for a long time - it seems to me like a waste of three points. It especially becomes problematic when you also say that you don't like to use spells like Nourish, since you're always on the move. While that's admirable, I like to stay on the move too, if you're going to take a talent like Nature's Grace, if you don't use Nourish, what spell is it benefiting? If you say Healing Touch, you're a liar. :P I kid, I kid. But really, if you're not Nourishing, then you're not getting much benefit out of Nature's Grace.

    My real problem with Nature's Grace is that it's three points. That's a huge investment that could be better spent elsewhere. Myself, I went with Empowered Touch. Healing on Algalon and Anub hard-mode (10m) I end up getting saddled with a lot of hybrid raid/MT healing, and being able to throw out a big juicy Nourish is really helpful.

    But anyway, that's really all I had to add to that for now. Like everything with healers, it's definitely up for discussion, and I don't think there's any one right answer.

    Cheers!
    My secondary spec (Used for 25 man Anub) has empowered touch/glyph of healing touch, so I can see where you're coming from on the tank healing part. People tend to forget about regrowth when talking about Natures Grace though, makes it a nice, quick cast as well. I'll stop to cast regrowth, even while on the move, just because I don't have to take two steps and heal again... I can keep moving and swiftmend. All in all druid healing is so much a matter of preference, which is part of the reason I didn't do any real in depth spell usage type things... but I am considering adding a 3rd part to it to go over some things like that. Thanks for the reply though, that is some great information people should consider when spec'ing!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Llego View Post
    My secondary spec (Used for 25 man Anub) has empowered touch/glyph of healing touch, so I can see where you're coming from on the tank healing part. People tend to forget about regrowth when talking about Natures Grace though, makes it a nice, quick cast as well. I'll stop to cast regrowth, even while on the move, just because I don't have to take two steps and heal again... I can keep moving and swiftmend. All in all druid healing is so much a matter of preference, which is part of the reason I didn't do any real in depth spell usage type things... but I am considering adding a 3rd part to it to go over some things like that. Thanks for the reply though, that is some great information people should consider when spec'ing!
    I've never been fond of the Healing Touch glyph. I guess because I feel like Nourish takes that spot nicely, and having a big HT to throw out with a Nature's Swiftness can save the tank's ass from time to time.

    Your comment about Regrowth is well-taken. I just don't use Regrowth very much, at least not as a flash heal. I use it for the back-end hot that it provides. I suppose part of that is because the role I play as a healer in my raid. Again, I tend to do a MT/raid healing hybrid, since I don't run in 25-mans where I'd be doing more raid healing.

    For the record, my preferred glyphs are Swiftmend (I think it'd be crazy for any raiding resto to not use this), Wild Growth (sadly useless for five-man groups, but I paid 300g for this glyph so I'm not switching it out anytime soon), and Innervate.

    I see that Innervate isn't even mentioned in your guide as a glyph choice, and I think it's one that ought to be at least considered by raiding druids.

    The choice behind Glyph of Innervate for me is perhaps more complicated than what you were going for in your guide, though I'll at least explain my own reasoning. If you look at my armory, you'll see that I very often eschew regen in favour of a bit more spell power. Also, the 10-man that I run with typically doesn't have replenishment. So, the bit of extra regen I can squeeze out with the innervate glyph can be really helpful.

    Again, a matter of choice, and sometimes situational necessity.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleLurn View Post
    I've never been fond of the Healing Touch glyph. I guess because I feel like Nourish takes that spot nicely, and having a big HT to throw out with a Nature's Swiftness can save the tank's ass from time to time.

    Your comment about Regrowth is well-taken. I just don't use Regrowth very much, at least not as a flash heal. I use it for the back-end hot that it provides. I suppose part of that is because the role I play as a healer in my raid. Again, I tend to do a MT/raid healing hybrid, since I don't run in 25-mans where I'd be doing more raid healing.

    For the record, my preferred glyphs are Swiftmend (I think it'd be crazy for any raiding resto to not use this), Wild Growth (sadly useless for five-man groups, but I paid 300g for this glyph so I'm not switching it out anytime soon), and Innervate.

    I see that Innervate isn't even mentioned in your guide as a glyph choice, and I think it's one that ought to be at least considered by raiding druids.

    The choice behind Glyph of Innervate for me is perhaps more complicated than what you were going for in your guide, though I'll at least explain my own reasoning. If you look at my armory, you'll see that I very often eschew regen in favour of a bit more spell power. Also, the 10-man that I run with typically doesn't have replenishment. So, the bit of extra regen I can squeeze out with the innervate glyph can be really helpful.

    Again, a matter of choice, and sometimes situational necessity.
    Yeah, not having replenishment sucks and is a really good reason to use the glyph of innervate. I simply don't use it because I'm pretty much covered in regen, and in hard modes regen becomes pretty important. As for the glyph of healing touch, nourish just isn't fast enough to cover the healing needed on hard mode anub, healing touch gets down to ~.8 second cast with my haste.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    I greatly enjoyed your guide, kudos to you. You have done it well, as on all resto druid forums none of us seem to be able to agree on much these days. But luckily you have covered the major points e.g. the haste soft cap. (This is one of the few things all druids do agree on)

    I was just wondering how often do you use Regrowth and on who. I only ask because you didn't even mention the glyph in your guide as an option (Which could be understandable depending on how often you use it) For some druid like me (although i think we are rare) Regrowth is my number one healing spell and when stacking haste can become a great spell and therefore would naturally lead to the glyph of Regrowth being are 3rd choice. This brings me onto my second question/request.

    I understand very much that each druid heals very differently especially depending on the role they have been given. It would be great if you would do a 3rd part to your guide explaining your own way of healing in different situations.

    Featon.

    P.s Long time reader 1st time poster

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Featon View Post
    For some druid like me (although i think we are rare) Regrowth is my number one healing spell and when stacking haste can become a great spell and therefore would naturally lead to the glyph of Regrowth being are 3rd choice.
    In what way are you using Regrowth that it's actually your top heal? Are you simply spamming it over and over on people? I'd think that this wouldn't be the most effective way to heal, especially the way that druids are typically built to support the heal over time end of that spell. Are you running a deeper balance build (dare I say it, Dreamstate even?), or a standard deep resto build?

    Llego: I can't necessarily say I agree with you on the Healing Touch thing. To each their own, of course, but to force HT's cast time so low, are you also putting five points in Naturalist? I assume if your role is to throw out HTs across the raid on Anub hard-mode (or spam the tank?), you'd probably have a separate spec and glyphs set aside for that. I don't think I've used HT as a part of my healing to any real degree since Twin Emperors.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    I am using regrowth as like a flash heal, Healing people who take sudden bursts of damage, but i also precast it along with rej on players i know are going to take damage. I understand it can have incredibaly high overhealing but so can all of out hots so i don't let that put me off, the long hot that is has is great for healing multiple people at once esp in Toc Hc where it doesn't seem to go to waste that often with a fair amount of raid damage, and in twins it's excelent.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleLurn View Post
    In what way are you using Regrowth that it's actually your top heal? Are you simply spamming it over and over on people? I'd think that this wouldn't be the most effective way to heal, especially the way that druids are typically built to support the heal over time end of that spell. Are you running a deeper balance build (dare I say it, Dreamstate even?), or a standard deep resto build?

    Llego: I can't necessarily say I agree with you on the Healing Touch thing. To each their own, of course, but to force HT's cast time so low, are you also putting five points in Naturalist? I assume if your role is to throw out HTs across the raid on Anub hard-mode (or spam the tank?), you'd probably have a separate spec and glyphs set aside for that. I don't think I've used HT as a part of my healing to any real degree since Twin Emperors.

    I usually don't use regrowth unless its either a) on a tank or b) i can predict more damage over time than just a rejuv can cover; but to each their own. Regrowth is a pretty expensive spell, however, and this isn't BC where regrowth was the shizz. Hey, if it works and your targets stay alive you're probably at least on the right track. I'd generally say to avoid using mana intensive spells but you should know your limitations.

    Yes, I am putting 5 points in naturalist.. Both druids in our raid go the spec I'm talking about. Its used to cover people who get penetrating cold; finding them and getting the heal off before PC kills them is literally almost impossible without glyph of HT. You can check out the video here on tankspot to watch exactly what I mean, but you are right, in general healing touch is utter trash.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Llego View Post
    Yes, I am putting 5 points in naturalist.. Both druids in our raid go the spec I'm talking about. Its used to cover people who get penetrating cold; finding them and getting the heal off before PC kills them is literally almost impossible without glyph of HT. You can check out the video here on tankspot to watch exactly what I mean, but you are right, in general healing touch is utter trash.
    I assume you're referring to 25-man hardmode? I've definitely done 10-man hardmode more than a few times myself, but if you're referring to 25-man hardmode.. yeah, not so much. I haven't even set foot in 25-man ToC, so I'm definitely speaking from the perspective of the stereotypical "10-man champ lolz."

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts