+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What should I do now?

What should I do now?

Hi everyone, long time site user first time poster. Recentley tried my hand at tanking for the first time in 5 years and I'm really, really enjoying myself. So yay for that. That's where the bedtime story ends though so onto business.

My Paladin is geared in every single emblem item I can get my hands on, sans Valor Medal of the First War as I didn't deem it worth getting. The armory link is here so you can see what I'm currentley at just now.

So far ideas have ranged from the obvious "get Rimefang's Claw and The Black Heart" which both are indeed on my 'to-do' list. However beyond that I've been contemplating switching out more or less every single one of my gems in order to drop 100 defence rating along with the mitigation stats in favour of pure stamina.

Before I made any changes of this nature I figured it might be a good idea to get a look in from the guys that know tanking mechanics better than I do, hence the post. I may as well also add that I'm hoping to start tanking my guilds alt runs to AC10 and possibly even 25, so anything that can help me prepare for that would be greatly beneficial and appreciated.

Thanks for the time and the help :)

Some quick thoughts:

- You're missing some Triumph pieces. Get the i245 helm and shoulders. The stats will do much more for you than the 4pc set bonus. Also, get the i245 emblem trinket. It's an excellent trinket.
    - When grinding your emblems, queue up for the ICC heroics. You can upgrade your neck and boots in those heroics.
    - Gem for stam, unless the socket bonus is +9 stam or higher. This exception is when a socket bonus requires 2 non-blue gems to activate. For example, your chest should be socketed +30 stam times 3 (and +275 health). Since it takes 2 gems to activate the bonus, it's actually only the equivalent of a +6 stam bonus.
    - Put armor on your cloak and the +30 stam +15 resiliance PVP ench on your shoulders. This is very easy to get if you have any stonekeeper shards.
    - Get the i245 bracers and enchant them with +40 stam.

Thanks for the quick response! I got the trinket from EoT just prior to making my post, guess the armory hasn't updated just yet.

I'll be sure to make a beeline for where and what you've suggested, thanks very much!

As far as tanking mechanics go, before raiding you need to know your limitations, and work to be rid of them, as well as learn to use your class to it's best abilities

Learn what classes and how much dps pull off you, ex, know that a 6k hunter dps will pull off you and a 4k lock dps will pull off you (not real values). Learn how to tackle unexpected incoming adds, as well as initial pulls. As a paladin, learning how to use your cooldowns on your raid and yourself is a very useful skill, and learn how to maximize their effectiveness. And finally, research your class... a lot. Getting all the tips and tricks for your class is very useful, and don't limit yourself to the internet, don't be afraid to discuss paladin tanking with other paladin tanks.

These are just a few things I found helpful knowing as a new tank, though mine is a death knight, the principle is the same.

+ Reply to Thread