+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heroics Tank Spec? (What?)

Heroics Tank Spec? (What?)

While playing on my rogue, I had a warrior tank in heroics running with http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LZhgc...x0didIzsGo:fMA as his spec (with glyphs of Vigilance, Cleaving, and Sunder Armor if it doesn't show). I can't remember the name or server, but he was also running with a Banner of Victory and Glyph of Imdomitability (sp?) for "a combination of threat/damage and DR with a slight focus on AoE", but otherwise had 232+ ilvl gear and held threat like nobody's business, even when I stopped using Fan of Knives and he had the hunter Vig'd. Now my rogue's gear is relative crap (~222 ilvl?) comparatively, but I was rather impressed.

Are more warriors doing this? I can only imagine that Enrage and Improved Defensive Stance stack for much better Thunderclap/Shockwave damage, in addition to Tab/Cleave/Devastate macro for some pretty good AoE threat (though I might prefer Glyph of Devastate over Vigilance) for trigger happy DPS.

On the extremely rare occasion that i go to tank heroics, yes i go in half-dps gear. I maintain a 535 def to stay crit-immune, then it's str / crit all the way. I try especially to replace high armor items otherwise i just run out of rage.

If it's a heroic spec, it doesn't make sense.

Improved Defensive Stance enrage does not stack with Enrage. There is 5 points wasted right there, probably should have gone to deflection
    You don't need Improved Disciplines, you shouldn't be in any danger in a heroic.

Not sure if rage is an issue. If he has rage issues, move the Imp Disc 2 points to Puncture. If he doesn't, I'd pull 3 points from focused rage and dump into commanding presence and pull more mobs.

I'm not positive Imp Def Stance got lumped into the non-stacking enrage effects. It *should* by the rationale of the change, but I couldn't find it listed on the non-stacking enrage announcement.

That said my tank has a set I use for heroics, I just have a heavy block setup. Basically I don't take melee damage, and Damage Shields does pretty good damage. I glyph cleave and have zero problems on threat, single target or AoE.

If the two enrage effects stack, that's about the only way I could imagine that spec out working Impale/Deep Wounds.

PS I love that Shockwave and Tclap can apply Deep Wounds, it makes me giggle.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

When healers are doing more dps than healing in heroics, makes me want to toss on some more dps friendly gear. Granted, I've seen my dps around the 1800 area a few times in heroics (as a tank and pre my spec change into deep wounds.)

Heroics/AoE tanking are the reasons I have 2 tank specs.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    I'm not positive Imp Def Stance got lumped into the non-stacking enrage effects. It *should* by the rationale of the change, but I couldn't find it listed on the non-stacking enrage announcement.
    If you check out wowhead for each ability, you can see they cast the same spell. They don't stack, but both will refresh the effect. At best you go from 95% uptime to 95+% uptime, I'm guessing.

I don't know about warriors, but lots of Paladins (myself included) run a second tank spec for add tanking fights, which doubles up pretty well for heroics. I think paladins have a few more options in this regard, and our mechanics are more conducive to silly-high dps, but I imagine warriors could do something similar.

In heroics I use aforementioned spec (basically drops DS/DG, 1 point in Judgements of the just and Vindication for 4/5 reckoning and 2% more crit compared to a boss tanking spec) combined with ret rings and trinkets, a slow DPS MH with berserking, and my old Crystal Plated Vanguard with BV enchanted, plus old tank gear gemmed for strength. Pull three groups at once, use seal of command, and 4k dps is easy; 5k+ is entirely within reach with a bit of synergy in buffs.

What can I say - one has to do something to keep oneself entertained in year old 5 mans you've run an infinite number of times

I run with an improved cleave (with glyph of course) spec with a few dps pieces for both heroics and raid trash. I know alot of tanks still keep a deep wounds spec for this, but I just love how hard cleave hits with a nice, slow 2.60 speed dps weapon. Being able to pull 4,500 dps on raid trash is too fun to pass up!

I use my normal tanking spec, Wear 4 pieces of the T9 set (including a couple of 232 pieces) for the SB CD and the extra block, plus Banner, Needle Encrusted, a DPS ring, and a DPS weapon with zerking enchant. I do decent DPS and don't really have aggro problems. Usually run Devastate, Cleave glyphs. No need to change specs IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    I'd pull 3 points from focused rage and dump into commanding presence and pull more mobs.
    Not possible unless he wanted to remove points from: Shockwave, Devastate, Damage Shield, Critical Block, Vitality.

Quote Originally Posted by GŁth View Post
    Not possible unless he wanted to remove points from: Shockwave, Devastate, Damage Shield, Critical Block, Vitality.
    /facepalm

Yes, yes, you need the filler points to get to those tier of talents

+ Reply to Thread