+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ICC Protection Warrior; way over hit capped/green gem Issue

There is no point not gemming EH really because there is not a single boss the requires you to gem anything but EH and if you look at a simulator or spreadsheet for example and see Burst Time to Live you can see how much EH is favored.

Agreed. So, in conclusion I agree with the armor potion idea. The defense+, Stam+ gem idea It's not so much for me hitting a socket bonus but getting the most from my gear. As Cataclysm comes closer I think tanks will realize that the days of straight armor, defense isn't half bad of course with the addition of dodge and parry (Who thinks parry should reflect spells? I do). If it was a competition of how much HP I could get I would re-roll which I won't do. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    There is no point not gemming EH really because there is not a single boss the requires you to gem anything but EH and if you look at a simulator or spreadsheet for example and see Burst Time to Live you can see how much EH is favored.
    *ahem*
    You missed a word, brah.
    True, he useda double negative which is an english no-no.
    But the message relayed is the same: EH is going to get you farther and make your healer's job easier.
    And it's not just hp, it's armor too.

If you don't take that to heart it's your choice, but the fact is that's what's been proven to be most effective, and we're just trying to help. It's what we do.

I don't get this.
    I'd like to help, but my mommy taught me: if I don't have anything nice to say, then shut-up.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bigshootr8 View Post
    I don't believe in Stamina stacking anymore because Effective Health with the rare exception of certain bosses isn't the most optimal solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshootr8 View Post
    Annnnnnnnnnd one more thing guilds been struggling on festergut and I tank him 2nd go around so 3rd blight the first one usually lands on me and now that I have my 4 set im bloodraging to get that 4 set proc using shield wall anouncing to raid and for some strange reason I still die do i dare blame heals or is there another explantion for that.
    So, it seems Festergut is the "rare exception" you referred to in the first quote. Do you know what type of gearing works best on Festergut? I'll give you a hint, the initials are "E" and "H".

I know it's not as "fun" to go along with the established rationale and buy into all the theorcrafting that says EH is the most effective way to gear for progression content, but the fact is that it works. You may not "like" gemming for all stam, but I'd hope you like eating the floor less.

I don't gem +30 Stamina in every socket and I haven't died early on a boss in any major situation that I can remember.

The OP asked for the best green-matching gem because he wanted to know the best green-matching gem--not the best blue non-matching gem. Stamina/Defense is the correct answer. I highly doubt we need yet another thread debating about Stamina vs. mixed gemmings this month.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

I dont use the all out 30 sta gemming, and i dont belive in all out sta gemming is the best way to go, i havent had any problems by takeing the big hits some of the bosses do.

I have always gone for the socket bonus if it sta, and from what i see, that ekstra Avoidance/armor i have form my gemming have in some situations helped me out cos i had a higer avoidance than the other tanks that goes 30 sta in all sockets.

I know that avoidance makes it a little more unpredictable for the healers, but avoiding a hit than just take it and drop hp is better in my belives. Cos if there is a lack of healing in some point, then avoidance is far greater than many tanks think..

im currently useing:

Def/Sta in yellow socket

Agi/Sta in red sockets for some ekstra armor and it gives crit and dodge. used Dodge/Sta in ToTGc but changed to agi in the start of ICC.

Sta for blue sockets ofc.

i would like if some one had something to add or maybe surggest to my current stragety, always open for a good debat

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronoxx View Post
    II know that avoidance makes it a little more unpredictable for the healers, but avoiding a hit than just take it and drop hp is better in my belives. Cos if there is a lack of healing in some point, then avoidance is far greater than many tanks think..
    It's not that avoidance is more "unpredictable" for healers, its the fact that using mixed gems will only increase avoidance by a very small amount, and not nearly enough to start making the chances of four or five (even six or seven) consecutive hits in a row impossible.

Avoidance is a chance, do you feel lucky? If there is a lack of healing at some point, an extra 3% avoidance isn't going to matter if the "dice" don't go your way.

It only increases your Stamina by a very small amount as well-especially considering 90% of socket bonuses are Stamina nowadays. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter much and there are about 20 other threads on this forum that have debated the issue to death (and beyond.)

If you are going to match green sockets, Stam/Def is really good for Warriors as Def gains a lot of value in ICC gear.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

If you really want to match those yellow sockets, Def/Stam is by far your best option, even if you're well under hit cap.

That said, as much as we all feel like noobs for mindlessly stacking Stam, we need to remember that good EH theorycrafting is essentially measuring a threshold, under which your survival would not even be guaranteed with healers who literally never miss a heal, and, with the current level of itemization available to warrior tanks, you are below that threshold for Lich King.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    (...) Def gains a lot of value in ICC gear.
    So does Stamina. Don't forget that Stamina directly scales with armor (and vice versa), and with all those shiny bonus armor on stuff, it becomes really good.
    I've never been a real Stam stacker, but all calculations (especially Rawr tell me it's just damn effective with all that bonus armor and I've pretty much ignored all socket bonuses for now.
    Which is not to say, meeting bonuses is wrong, of course.

Again, this isn't about Stamina vs. Avoidance. There are lots of threads on that--Stamina is good, yes.

My main point is reminding people that Def never gets bad. There is no 'cap'--and, in fact, due to the mechanics of diminishing returns, the more avoidance you have, the better Defense is as a source of avoidance compared to Dodge/Parry/whatever. Defense actually passes Dodge in terms of efficiency very easily in ICC gear.

+ Reply to Thread