+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expertise Vs. Hit rating

Expertise Vs. Hit rating

i have a DK frost tank, its duel weilding. I make aggro, but not fast enough. my hit rating is at 171, and my expertise is at 9/9. should i use hit rating gems or expertise gems? whats the difference between the two? his name is DeathSlinger on Caelestraz realm. take a quick look at the build and gear. Any and all help will be helpful.

Many people will be too lazy to cut and paste your name/realm, i suggest you paste a link for such people (like me .

You probably should link your wow armory to make it easy on people.

I hope this is the right link, http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Deathslinger

Although your hit and expertise are low, the reason your threat is less is because you are using to fast tanking weapons. DW frost DK tanks are designed to use 2 x Slow DPS weps. I suggest switching to 2 dps weapons and you should see a significant increase in your threat.

Also you might want to change your build a bit. Here is my suggestion, http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

Please note: Points in Morbidity and Scent of Blood are optional and can be moved to Say Killing Machine in frost tree depending on your playstyle.

I personally use single disease rotation for heroics and both diseases for raid bosses.

Easiest DPS weps for you to get is,

Reaper of Dark Souls - Has Hit but Low Stam (Ebon Blade Revered)
    Stalactite Chopper - Stam but no Hit. (Hodir Revered)
    Ironforge Smasher - 50 Champion's Seal
    Titansteel Bonecrusher - Crafted
    Tankard O Terror - BOE, buyable with gold, usually sell for 800g - 100g for 1 on my server

Also most often DPS you run with probably overgear you by miles so you will have some aggro issues just keep taunts handy.

Also enchanting shoulder, bracers and hands would help
    Last edited by gabbu; 02-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/gabbu/advanced

your gear is relatively okay, but the spec does need to be worked on.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EhZ...fuzAo0x:sakmVM is what I consider to be the "core" spec for DW Tanking, you have 1 point to put where you want.
    Glyphs:
    Icy Touch or Howling Blast
    Frost Strike or Rune Strike
    Obliterate (EVERY FROST DK SHOULD HAVE THIS REGARDLESS OF SPEC)

HIT RATING AND EXPERTISE:
    Importance of Hit Rating: Hit Rating helps ensure that you hit your target and hit with your taunts. You want to be between 200-263 Hit Rating if at all possible.
    Importance of Expertise: Expertise helps ensure that your target can't avoid your attacks. Expertise of 26 for most people will prevent the mob from Dodging attacks.
    Both of these stats are important to help generate threat.

DW WEAPONS FOR TANKING:
    2 Slow DPS Weapons: High Threat/Lower Tanking Stats
    2 Fast Tank Weapons: Higher Tanking Stats/Lower Threat
    1 Slow DPS/1 Fast Tank Weapon: Mid-Range of the two.
    Go with what works for you, I usually use two tanking weapons. The Swords from H PoS are a good start. If looking for DPS weapons, H HoR and H FoS both have weapons. The ones mentioned by the previous poster are a good start also.

Work on getting your non-tier helm (the 245 helm), the expertise will help a lot.

Gems and Sockets.
    Yellow Sockets: Hit/Stam or Def/Stam
    Red Sockets: Expertise/Stam, Dodge/Stam or Expertise (if you need it bad)
    Blue Sockets: Stam
    Helms always go for the socket bonus, since they tend to be +12 Stam
    2 Sockets - if the bonus is +9 and one socket is blue, socket for the bonus.
    3 Sockets - if the bonus is +9 and two sockets are blue, socket for the bonus.

Gear to work towards:
    Get the crafted bracers. Enchant bracers with 40 stamina
    Get the conquest emblem belt or get the ulduar crafted belt.
    Run H FoS for boots or get the ulduar crafted boots.
    Run Reg ToC or H AN for stamina trinket, get the armor trinket from Triumph.
    Get the Triumph tank ring.
    Get the Triumph Relic.
    Get the T9 legs and gloves.
    Run H ToC, Reg/H ICC instances for gear.

The truth is your gear is too low level for DW tanking to be on par w/ 2H. At your gear level, to get anywhere near the needed 26/26 Expertise you'll have to gem for it when you should be gemming Stamina instead. It will cost you too much EH (Effective Health) right now to make DW effective.

Higher lvl gear from ToC and ICC, and the BS crafted 245 stuff, has enough Expertise on it to eliminate the need to gem for Expertise, so I'd recommend 2H tanking up to that point, then spec'ing for whatever your best weapon/s is/are.

If you really want to DW tank anyway, then prioritize Expertise over Hit. You can tank just fine with low hit rating, but Expertise both increases your threat and slightly reduces incoming dmg.

If you're having threat problems, then definitely use 2x Slow/Slow weapons, that's the most threat you can get DWing.

And I second Selene's Core DW spec above. Scent of Blood is not optional, it's amazing w/ DW. For 5mans, use Glyph of Howling Blast, Glyph of Obliterate, and either Glyph of Frost Strike (if you need more single target threat) or Glyph of Icy Touch (if you need more AoE threat).

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    The truth is your gear is too low level for DW tanking to be on par w/ 2H. At your gear level, to get anywhere near the needed 26/26 Expertise you'll have to gem for it when you should be gemming Stamina instead. It will cost you too much EH (Effective Health) right now to make DW effective.

Higher lvl gear from ToC and ICC, and the BS crafted 245 stuff, has enough Expertise on it to eliminate the need to gem for Expertise, so I'd recommend 2H tanking up to that point, then spec'ing for whatever your best weapon/s is/are.

If you really want to DW tank anyway, then prioritize Expertise over Hit. You can tank just fine with low hit rating, but Expertise both increases your threat and slightly reduces incoming dmg.

If you're having threat problems, then definitely use 2x Slow/Slow weapons, that's the most threat you can get DWing.

And I second Selene's Core DW spec above. Scent of Blood is not optional, it's amazing w/ DW. For 5mans, use Glyph of Howling Blast, Glyph of Obliterate, and either Glyph of Frost Strike (if you need more single target threat) or Glyph of Icy Touch (if you need more AoE threat).
    Kurtosis is absolutely right.

DW Frost requires alot of hit and expertise to work well. If you don't have those your threat, and health will be low and your incoming damage will be high.

Run ToC 10 man, and grab as much expertise gear as possible with emblems.

+ Reply to Thread