+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pally Tank Macro Questions

Pally Tank Macro Questions

Now I've hit 80 with my pally recently and I leveled as Ret. Now I've done extensive searching on info into tanking on my pally since thats why I leveled him and crafted him gear. I fully understand I'm not capable of raiding ICC with him not because of his gear but because lack of skill. Now I know all about the 969 rotation and the macro but I refuse to use it. I like control when I'm tanking and with taunt, HotR & ShoR, JoW and concencrate rotation I go OOM right away. lol Now I understand Holy shield should always be up. If I can, am I able to Macro it to almost all my other casts much like Rune Strike on my DK? Or does it screw with global CD issuses. Idk I'm just questioning the whole 9696 rotation and macro. I guess I'll just use it if nothing else works.

Thanks again Folks

I've never seen a 969 rotation macro, I'm quite sure the length of the sequence (before it reapeats) is too long to fit in a cast sequence macro. The 969 rotation, done manually, works fine and is the most efficient use of GCDs. Please post the macro you are referring to. I'm also confused as to how you're going oom so quickly. A link to the armory page of your toon might help.

Without seeing your armory I just needed to check you knew about Divine Plea, Glyph of Divine Plea and Guarded by the Light.

Don't get too worried about having not had enough experience to tank ICC, my DK got benched and my hastily levelled pally has been quite happy using about 6 abilities and dealing with the first wing bosses.

I understand everything your talking about Bosk.

Here is my main which will never see the bench http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...em&cn=Emopally

and my alt that was hastily leveled as well for 2nd string runs http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Frankvatank

In my opinion, if you macro that many abilities together you are asking for trouble. Its just too limiting and you really don't have that many buttons to press to be a good pally tank.

Also there is room for variation on the 969 rotation depending on how many mobs you are tanking. Single target use your Shield of Righteousness and Judgement first. Multiple targets use your Consecrate and Hammer of the Righteous asap. The point of the 969 is to rotate your 9 second and your 6 second cool down abilities, but how you rotate them is VERY situational.

If you want a good macro make one that puts a Skull on the target that you Avenger's Shield. That way you can let the dps know which mob you are focusing on. A lot of time this will save you from careless dps stripping mobs off you and requires no setup time so the people in your group don't get impatient.

Pallies are incredible tanks... capable of handling large amounts of incoming damage as well as soaking raid wide damage. Don't forget to utilize your Divine Sacrifice, Hand of Sacrifice, and Hand of Salvation.

One situational macro that I use is what I call the bubble soak, Divine Protection combined with Divine Sacrifice.

#showtooltip Divine Protection
    /cast Divine Protection
    /cast Divine Sacrifice

Another is the Bubble Taunt(Great for bosses that put stacks of debuffs that can be removed with bubble. Gormok comes to mind)

#showtooltip Divine Shield
    /cast Hand of Reckoning
    /cast Divine Shield
    /cancelaura Divine Shield

This will drop your debuff, keep the boss on your and then drop your shield. Works great.

I hope this information helps you. Your spec/glyphs look decent and gear will come with time.

Edit: On a side note, It isn't as important to get Holy Shield up as it used to be. Holy Shield used to be part of the mechanic paladins used to use to push off crushing blows. Since those have been removed it isn't 100% necessary to keep Holy Shield up though its recommended. Just make sure you have threat before worrying about it.
    Last edited by BlazeDale; 02-11-2010 at 08:04 AM.

Another thing to note, it really isn't beneficial to macro multiple abilities together that trigger the global cool down. The Rune Strike macro works with DKs because its a next melee swing ability. Paladins don't have any abilities that work that way. So we are left to macro an ability that triggers a global cooldown with 1 or more that don't.

I owe you a drink DwarvenTankard! Thank you very much sir. Seeings all my research from maintankadin.com, EJ and here the information seems to be dated and i read Holy Shield must be up 100% of the time. Seeing it is benefical i can't see keeping it up as well as going through the rotation. Now i hate macro tanking and I've tried it on pally and its just not natural since all I do on my DK is self controlled. There really is no rotation its situtational. Well thank you very much again. I'm very bad on working pally CDs knowing they have the best CDs for survial out there. I will get practice and stop failing on my heroic Pugs.

+ Reply to Thread