+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dk tanking advice

Dk tanking advice

I sit at about 30% dodge 20% parry and 25.5k armor and 34.5k hp but I need help I am still taking way to much damage. heres my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...d&cn=Dethernos

as a dk you'll just naturally take more dmg, due to the fact that we can't block. all you can do is just try to get better gear, cuz higher ilvl gear always gives more armor, but not always the stats you want.

Where and when are you taking too much damage? It shouldn't be in 5-mans, since you outgear them all. Which raids, and what types of bosses?

Generally when healers say "you take too much damage", what they mean is "you take too much SPIKY damage". The way to counteract this is not by stacking dodge like you currently are, but by stacking effective health - stam and armor. You will take more damage on average, however the spikiness will be reduced making you much easier to heal.

Your spec is also pretty bad. There are a lot of different blood specs floating around that are pretty good, but you missed some crucial talents in yours. Improved Icy Touch is important for the 6% slow - that's 6% longer between a boss's melee hits. And don't tell me that another tank can put up this debuff for you, because if they are on a different target or dead they can't. You need it yourself.

You also missed a crucial threat talent/raid buff in Abomination's Might. I'd get rid of crap like Improved Death Grip (useless for PvE) and Bloodworms (useless to a tank, doesn't return enough HP and have their own aggro table).

You should be using your cooldowns - they are not to be saved for OSMs, they are almost part of your rotation. Learn your encounters and make sure you have the right cooldown each time. Cooldowns on trash too.

Remember AotD is a good defensive cooldown, even after the nerf.

You MUST glyph vampiric blood, it is not optional.

You will take alot more damage overall, you will take much bigger spikes. I am using this: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Edge&n=Vincto and it is not enough to survive Festergut.

I use my cds the issue im having is in icc 10 man. The pally tank in my guild can tank icc 25 man and he has the same stats as me so I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong

Oh in that case you are where I am

My healers cannot keep me upright tanking Muradin, so I have to stay on the home gunship. However we have had several hours on Festergut and in any combination they can keep me up on 2 stacks+ I died in under 1 second of burst. I tried it with armor trinkets, stamina trinkets and dodge trinkets.

I went and got my pally that I was gearing up and that worked fine, no cooldowns required.

I have yet to see a 10man geared guild keeping a DK tank alive on Festergut, only guys rolling with ICC25 gear. I've been asking about the same on various forums and found no satisfaction. Either these bosses which are widely described as 'gear checks' are simply too much for an appropriately geared DK (ie geared from Toc10) or they are bosses that require some secret 'skill' that either me or my healers lack. I have done all of ToC with these guys when it was current, and we worked fine together learning the encounters. Currently we are cockblocked unless I agree to swap to my pally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
    I have yet to see a 10man geared guild keeping a DK tank alive on Festergut, only guys rolling with ICC25 gear. I've been asking about the same on various forums and found no satisfaction. Either these bosses which are widely described as 'gear checks' are simply too much for an appropriately geared DK (ie geared from Toc10) or they are bosses that require some secret 'skill' that either me or my healers lack. I have done all of ToC with these guys when it was current, and we worked fine together learning the encounters. Currently we are cockblocked unless I agree to swap to my pally.
    My guild recently downed festergut in icc10, where I tanked as frost and switched off with a pally. We 2-healed it with another paladin and a holy priest because our dps was too low 3-healing it to beat the enrage timer. My gear is primarily triumph badge gear with the addition of just the frost cloak, the neck piece off marrowgar and the honored tanking ring. The pally was pretty much in the same boat.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oon&cn=Strauss

Granted, the holy priest was a little bit more geared than a typical icc10 priest, but the pally was still in a mix of ulduar and triumph gear. In any case, if your dps is good enough, you can stack a 3rd healer, which would more than make up for the gear.

In terms of buffs, I had fort, motw, kings, sanc, blood pact, devotion aura and shadow resist, in addition to a flask and fish feast. In total, I was around 46k hp raid buffed, after the stealth buff to frost presence. Paladin had the AP debuff up, and I drank an Indestructible Potion right before I pulled, and another after the tank switch. While festergut was casting the 3rd inhale, I raised a ghoul, which I had used for an emergency heal.

So it's definitely possible for DKs to tank festergut in appropriate gear. Whether another equivalently geared tank is better is another discussion I won't touch.
    Last edited by m16ghost; 02-11-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosk View Post
    I have yet to see a 10man geared guild keeping a DK tank alive on Festergut, only guys rolling with ICC25 gear.
    This is something I see pretty frequently and absolutely don't understand. My co-tank and I for ICC10 are both DKs, and we have never had a problem with Festergut. I outgear it now, but the other tank is the one that actually tanks during the three inhale period (we only get one now because our DPS is high), and even when I didn't outgear it we weren't having a problem with tank deaths (we ended up having to three heal it because of raid damage at the outset, since our healers had both dinged 80 a week or two before PW came out). Being able to chain IBF + VB/UA + AotD is absolutely a godsend on that fight. If anything, we're easier to heal during 3I than during 2I, which is something that just isn't true for other tanks.

Edit: I just checked my OT's gear on armory, and he has exactly one tanking item from ICC25 and has no problem tanking Festergut 3I.
    Last edited by Molecule; 02-11-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Molecule View Post
    If anything, we're easier to heal during 3I than during 2I, which is something that just isn't true for other tanks.
    Why are you guys easier to heal during 3I than 2I? Is that just b/c the healers have less raid dmg to deal with?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Why are you guys easier to heal during 3I than 2I? Is that just b/c the healers have less raid dmg to deal with?
    A combination of that plus the fact that we're in cooldowns for 3I that overcome the increased damage that Festergut is doing. Festergut does about 40% more damage in 3I than 2I. IBF makes up for it by a huge margin, the VB healing increase just about equals it, and UA will be about even with it depending on your armor.

I tanked fester on my dk w/o any ICC25 gear (now i have some 264 gear, but before then I didn't), it didn't go "smoothly" persay, and we wiped the first time because I didn't call out when I was gonna taunt, I only said I was at 8 so when it came to 8 I taunted and healers didn't realize to switch to me and yea... Second time around I actually did and it worked fine. During that time my gear was a bunch of 232/245 gear, with the exception of my t10 gloves, 251 pants from saurfang, vendor frost trinket, and the 251 gunship axe.

+ Reply to Thread