+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Pally PvP Questions

Prot Pally PvP Questions

I am currently in the process of gearing up my prot/ret spec for a pvp purpose and gearing it up. I am satisfied atm with my spec, minus one small question, but after reading through some topics here I find I have more questions than answers on gearing.

Aside from the pvp trinket, would it be better to use a pve trinket like The Black Heart or the Glyph of Indomitability? Perhaps the Darkmoon Card:Beserker for the added resilience and crit rating? I currently have all of those above plus a few dodge trinkets that dont seem to cut it.

What about weapons, I currently have Burnished Quel'Serrar and Bonebreaker Scepter. So far Bonebreakers seems pretty mediocre, and Burnished Quel'Serrar doesn't brilliant either. Ideally i'd get a arena weapon, but what would you suggest getting in the mean time? Maybe Frost Giants Cleaver axe from 10m gunship battle?

Also, in a more general sense, should I be stacking pvp gear until my resilience as as high as I can make it? Currently I have pvp gear for every slot but one ring, and I need a better pair of pvp gloves. My resil is sitting at just over 1k, should I get another pvp ring or should I go for a dps pve ring? Ditto for gloves, as I have 232-251 4 piece pvp set, should I use my pve gloves like Gauntlets of the Kracken or perhaps get some pve dps gloves?

Spec wise, my one question is about Seals, currently my spec doesn't include Seal of Command, but I have heard and read a bit lately that it can be very effective in both arena's and battlegrounds. What does everyone think of it as a viable pvp tool? I was under the impression that it might be good for ret, but with a one hander the cleave damage is minimal at best?

Thanks for your time guys and gals

After considerable research on Protribution, i've come to the following conclusions:

The 4 piece pvp set bonus is nice so i'm going with chest, legs, shoulders and gloves. Going with that is the t9 tanking helmet for the shield block value. My rings, trinkets, neck and cloak will all be dps pve items. All gems will be str gems except where meeting a very good socket bonus, or meta requirements.

Seal of Command might be of some use in 5v5, but minimal use in 2v2 or 3v3 for a Protribution pally. Seal of Corruption/Vengence is the way to go with the Libram which gives 200 str on dot damage.

I'm still not sure if I should go the Arena Shield, or one of the toc shields for the str/sbv. Arena shield has a higher block by itself, plus higher stam, block, and resilience, but has no str or sbv. Anyone know which would increase burst? Not sure how shield block turns into damage with Avengers Shield and Shield of Righteousnes.

You should be gemming pure Strength in pretty much all sockets. The only exception is the Meta gem slot, which you should go for +21 agility and 3% increased dmge, or the crit and increased dmge. The first meta I mentioned tends to be more popular, due to the fact you only need 1 blue gem to activate it. Nightmare's Tear is perfect for activating this. If you don't mind losing a 20+ stre gem, then go for 10+ stam and 10+ stre blue gem to activate the 2nd meta I mentioned. The most accesible 'decent' shield for Prot/Ret is the ToC Crystal Vanguard one. Once you have the required Arena Rating then you can replace this. You want a nice bursty 1h, with Beserking. Tanking weapons are really a no-go, and the most easily obtained Prot/Ret 1her, is probably Nighttime from FoS hc. The 4set bonus is nice, but some people opt for 2t10 bonus instead, and then replace the lost resi in PvP OS items.

+ Reply to Thread