+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking 2H Frost viable?

Tanking 2H Frost viable?

As per my armory link below:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Unholyshmoly

I am currently specced as a Blood Tank. I have been looking to try 2H Frost tanking but have essentially been told its not as good as DW Frost. My major weapon is an ilvl 251 2H Axe from Saurfang in ICC which is why I am leaning towards speccing 2H Frost instead of DW. My 1H weapons are ilvl 232 and neither of them are really defensive weapons.

Given my gear is it viable for me to go 2H Frost or not. I am going to temporarily respec out of my Unholy DPS spec to give this a shot both for 5 man heroics and 10/25 raid (trash).

Suggestions will be appreciated.

ah... *drool* i've been wanting to get that axe forever... but no one will let me roll on it when i come in as a dw frost tank :/. I'd say 2h frost is viable, but honestly frost seems to built more for dw imo. The only advantage I can really see frost giving you over blood is better aoe control. but I'm still somewhat of a noob to the game so dont listen to me, wait for most posts lol

Ha ha. Thanks for the honest opinion. Actually .. not to rub it in or anything .. I have 2 of those axes .. lol. The other one is for DPS and is socketed with 2 Strength gems ..

Yah .. thats what I am reading about Frost being more DW than 2H for tanking. I do love my Blood spec but I was actually just looking to see if anyone has opinions on it being worthwhile. I could use it for trash as well as give it a shot for Festergut where we are currently on. I was actually Frost a while back (before the changes to ToT and DW taking off) and loved it. I respecced to Blood for the extra Stam and am now at a point where I am fairly comfortable with my health pool to respec back and give Frost a try.

Thanks again.

ah lucky, 2... i can hardly get one lol, guess some people are luckier than others, but on a more related topic, i used to use 2h frost back when i was first leveling and a starting tank. It works well, and provided good aoe control for HEROICS, however I'd have to say blood is more appealing for the 2h dk tank in terms of raids (you always have the another tank helping you hold aggro for the most part in raids, dnd n afk... j/k). I kno its completely unrelated, but do notice how the 2h dmg bonus talent lies in the blood tree and the dw talent boosts like in the frost tree. Also, for 1h weapons, doesn't matter if they aren't tank weapons, as long as you apply the 1h tank rune on them, they can become tank weapons. I use the 264 sword from saurfang as my mh and the 251 mace from marrowgar as my OH for weapons.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Evilcabell
    Though my opinion is somewhat biased, I think it is fairly viable. As you can see in my armory, my weapon is not nearly as fancy as yours and I generally do not have trouble with aggro. I guess it all depends on your reasons for changing spec. The mitigation (used loosely) is pretty good for the frost 2hander. IBF-UA-AMS is a pretty handy combo and not having to spend the 6 points to effectively dw gives the 2hander a lot of freedom in adapting their spec to their playing style and particular needs.
    I'm not trying to put down dw tanks by any means though. I hear the aggro situation is great (lots of free howling blasts for multiple mobs and good single target threat). The specs, however, are not nearly as flexible and forgiving.
    Given your weapon situation, I honestly can't imagine you having any problems as long as you stay hit and expertise capped.

my reasoning for blood and 2h being better is just because blood has a naturally good raid buff AM in their tree that you would naturally get. In frost, you must go down a long tree to get the IIT raid buff, which doesn't occur as often (even I dont get it in my dw talent tree, although i'm respeccing soon to get it because I now have a set of good enough weapons/gear to hold aggro w/o the use of KM/DC)

Nerosky brings up a good point concerning raid buffs. A frost tank does have to go out of his/her way to pick up the melee haste buff. That said, melee haste is not very useful to dk tanks (due to the rune system). I don't bother with it personally.
    Again, I think it all depends on your reasons for wanting to change spec. Given your gear, you should not have any trouble with single target threat generation (just make sure to keep expertise and hit capped). UA + AMS at the pull can also help tremendously when it comes to aggro-loving ranged dps.
    The 2hander talent is also really easy to pick up if you decide to go that route (the only reason I haven't picked it up is laziness really).

+ Reply to Thread