+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK - Getting Frustrated with unreliable dps

DK - Getting Frustrated with unreliable dps

I hate for my first post here to be a whine, but im getting very frustrated and close to the point of losing interest in this toon (which I don't want to happen). I'll admit, i've only been playing for about 11 months. My problem is I can't get reliable DPS numbers. One heroic I'll pull +4000, then next, I'll barely do 3000. No rhyme or reason. I know buffs can have a lot to do with it, but +1000? My gear is fairly decent (i think?), and i follow the usual rotation for blood dps (IT, PS, HS,HS, DS, RP, HS HS, etc) but i can't pull steady numbers. Plus, i see people less geared then me doing more damage. Now, if I just suck, then so be it, but i have done 4500's before, and even hit 5000 once in 5-man H's... I've read posts here, on EJ, and just about anywhere else, and I can't figure out what I am doing (or not doing) wrong. I haven't started raiding because I don't think I am ready for it yet... Talk about lack of confidence! ANY recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...mmer&cn=Rakeir

heroics are a terrible place to judge dps. it fluctuates so much due to aoe'ing mobs and bosses dying within seconds. go to a target dummy and if your #s still fluctuate that much then maybe somethings wrong

Quote Originally Posted by NeRoSky View Post
    heroics are a terrible place to judge dps. it fluctuates so much due to aoe'ing mobs and bosses dying within seconds. go to a target dummy and if your #s still fluctuate that much then maybe somethings wrong
    Ok, will do. As soon as the realms are back online.

Is there any general offset one can expect on a target dummy vs. "real" (real?) targets? i.e., you'll typically do +500dps w/the usual group buffs, etc.?

Your damage also serverly depends on which place it is, who you are running with, how the tank pulls, how up on your toes you are, your latency, buffs, how many mobs there are, how long the mobs surviev, how long you get through your rotations, and many more factors. I would definitly not be scared to so numbers jump 50% up and down depending on the all those factors. One thing that is special about heroics, are that things like time mobs are up, the pulling of the tank, how bursty your rotation is, where you get in your rotation when the mobs go down, ect are far more sensative when the fights are extremly short, and lets face it, DKs are not a super frontloaded burst class, especially blood DKs, since the height dps comes from sustaining height damage attacks, and having many of them, and you also lose a lot of the mobs life time putting diseases on them, if they only live 10-20 seconds.
    Generally, if you want something to show numbers in heroics, then most of the time, it is far better to get an aoe heavy build, since aoe builds and front loaded burst builds are what dominates the dps tables in current heroics. Blood is simply just more meant to do singletarget or 2 target, which is nice for raids and bosses, but since bosses are easy in heroics, it is overkill focusing so much on singletarget, and therefor blood is not going to shine in those.
    If you want your confidence back, try to enter a raid, where you are sure that even if it goes wrong and you get one of your lower dps days, then it is still enough. This would for starters be toc 10. When you get in there, and find out, that buffed you probably do 4-5k singletarget dps, you should hopefully get your raiding confidence back, and you can go and smash some of the harder raids.

5 man hc DPS fluctuates a hell of a lot if you have another good dps in your group then they will pretty much take down your dps as the mobs will die quicker.
    However if your the strongest dps you tend to get a lot higher dps

i actually found that my raid dps didnt differ a great deal for some reason tho even with 10 man buffs
    go batter patchwerk that shud tell you a thing or 2 about your dps lol

Quote Originally Posted by woodyman View Post
    5 man hc DPS fluctuates a hell of a lot if you have another good dps in your group then they will pretty much take down your dps as the mobs will die quicker.
    However if your the strongest dps you tend to get a lot higher dps

i actually found that my raid dps didnt differ a great deal for some reason tho even with 10 man buffs
    go batter patchwerk that shud tell you a thing or 2 about your dps lol
    These are a very interesting points... As when I have done the higher end of the scale, I was doing the highest damage in the group (often by far), and when low, i was usually number two or three... So that seems to coincide with your comments. I don't NEED to be at the top of the scale, as long as I can have a reason for the variation, i can live with it. I guess my hesitation with the initial raids is my guilds basically does none, and the few pug raids i have joined were basically fails. I'll keep up with it and try and find some better raid groups.

As long as my spec is ok and i haven't made some bonehead mistakes with gemming, enchants, etc., I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

Fail PUG's are frustrating, but they are practical experience and you really learn how the boss moves, etc... And even if you get one boss down, that's more then you'd get done otherwise, right?

Yes, that is very true.

i'd say 2 easy bosses to gauge dps on... as a dk that is, are probably twins in toc and saurfang in icc. both are essentially tank n spank for melee, so as long as u follow a good rotation for unholy/blood it should give you a good ballpark, so use those to gauge your highest dps, but remember that saurfang has a buttload of armor, so if your dps seems lower on him, its normal.

Well, I am pleased to report that we did 10 man Onxyia tonight, and I did a solid 5000dps, peaking at near 6 during phase one. Topped the overall damage on the whole Onxyia fight. Still amazed at the variation, but what the hell... I'm happy!

1. Whelps
    2. DK
    3. ????
    4. 10000+ dps!

but jokes aside yea, thats what i'm talking about, heroics are a bad place to judge dps, you need to do ur tests in actual raids or the target dummies.

So in other words you're saying, i still suck... great. Buy you are right, after looking at the recount data, 50% of the damage was to the whelps. So that removed any satisfaction i had before. And so i ran to a heroic dummy and am back to shaking my fists at the sky and yelling "WHYYYYY?" 4032dps. Even popping hysteria and DRW only gives me a little over 4100. Horrible. Kill me. Please.
    Last edited by mchad; 02-11-2010 at 05:17 AM.

K this is what you are going to do and u will see better dps.

Go Unholy, 17/0/54.
    Drop Hit trinket for Crit badge trinket (heroism badge one)
    Replace the agil ring with a nice str ring.
    Remember you only need 8% hit and 7% if u have a draenei

Blood is a very demanding spec, since so much dmg is Physical and you need good ArP for that and good gear, and yours my dear shmo isnt that great (The stat accolation at least)

Your dps should go up. yupyup

OH AND YOUR GEMS!
    -Only should be gemming BOLD(20 str) for reds, INSCRIBED(10 str 10 crit) for yellows, and ONE (READ THAT ONE) Nightmare tear for the blue requirement when you use the 21 agil 3% crit metagem [get this one]. Any other gem, like crit gems and exp gems are useless, like i said your gear is no good enough for a blood build imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mchad View Post
    So in other words you're saying, i still suck... great. Buy you are right, after looking at the recount data, 50% of the damage was to the whelps. So that removed any satisfaction i had before. And so i ran to a heroic dummy and am back to shaking my fists at the sky and yelling "WHYYYYY?" 4032dps. Even popping hysteria and DRW only gives me a little over 4100. Horrible. Kill me. Please.
    You should be aware that your DPS will seem much lower against a target dummy than in a real raid setting. This is especially true if you have necrosis and/or unholy blight, because depending on how much life the target dummy has those will often tick for 1 damage. But even if not, raid buffs and debuffs provide an ENORMOUS dps increase; easily on the order of 500-1000 DPS assuming you get the ones that are useful to your class.

Also, to echo the above poser, right now Unholy is the strongest DPS spec for death knights; it's a bit ahead of blood for single target and it dominates it in AoE damage.

+ Reply to Thread