+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resto shaman, having problems getting my hps up.

Resto shaman, having problems getting my hps up.

First of all. Thanks for viewing this post.

Been playing a resto shaman for quite some time now, and gained enough gear for icc 10 and so on.

But, when i tried to heal togc 10 i only managed arround 3k hps avrage So.. my questions are:
    1: Is it something wrong with my gear?
    2: Is it something wrong with the gemming?
    3: Is it a problem with my rotations? ( ES-RT-LHWx2or3-RT... ES renewed when needed) (ES-RT-CHx2or3-RT....)

My armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...mer&cn=Kotarou

Hoping that i can get some good feedback
    Thnx

You have too much MP5 gear, MP5 is what you equip if you absolutely have to - the ideal gear has Spellpower/Haste/Crit get as many of these pieces as you can.
    For example the 2 TOC Crafted Cloth caster pieces are ideal, The Elemental Shaman T9 is great

You want your haste as high as can be and MP5 as low as you can get it without going OOM

Chain heal a lot in any raid

3K HPS in 10-man isn't terrible, so I don't really know why you're worried. Yes, there are situations and fights where you can go higher than that, but that doesn't mean you should scramble to increase your HPS. You should heal what needs healing, regardless of what your HPS is.

In continuing my crusade, stop looking at the meters. Period. There are things you can do to improve your HPS, but HPS is a terrible means of determining how well you're healing. If you're not wiping due to lack of healing, then your healing is fine.

The problem was that the dk tank died.
    So.. too mouch mp5.. are there anny items that you would recomend that i swapp out with something else?

There is no such thing as a rotation for healers. When you stick to LHW while the big hits come in and don't change to HW then... well

Shamans have become really versatile with the changes to tidal waves and their spells. Utilizing them all is *not* bad play as it would have been in BC where shamans where the chainheal spam machine.

Short excourse into meters...
    HPS == Throughput in terms of effective healing

If there is not enough damage to heal or there are to many healers your HPS will suffer. Overhealing simply doesn't count as HPS.

HPS needed if everybody is staying alive is a simple measure for how long the healers will be able to keep everyone alive before oom'ing to death. You can't measure anything else with it without looking into other numbers as well.

If you want to check wether it was really your fault of 'letting the tank die' or the tanks fault of not doing all he could have done to stay alive you should have a look at the logs of the fight and look at his cooldown usage. Most of the time tanks keep dieing with unused cds. Beeing a tank/heal I've been on both sides of the equation equally... ^^

Cheers!
    skaggi

Chances are, he didn't die because of your gear, though I can't really check right now due to you being in Enhance gear.

Anyway, ToGC is pretty notorious for tank deaths, since the instance is primarily tank healing. That doesn't necessarily mean it's your fault, though as I've said before, you can take responsibility for it, and figure out what you can do about it.

Depending on the fight there, you should be primarily using LHW for quicker heals. Really, the only exceptions to this rule are Twin Valkyrs, for somewhat obvious reasons, and Gormok, whom you can generally just spam Chain Heals on a tank. But if a tank took an extra impale, or someone stood in fire at the wrong time, that death isn't your fault, though sometimes you can save the wipe.

The fact is that, on Resto Shaman, different or better gear doesn't matter that much. Stacking more haste might get you .1 or .2 off your heals, which is handy, and worth going for, but getting it won't magically make you a better healer. Do Heroics and whatever 10-mans you can get into, and your gear will improve more or less by osmosis. Yes, your priority should be getting Haste/Crit gear, but other mail caster gear is still okay. Really, the important thing to do is to analyze your situation and see what you could have done. If the tank died because you were healing someone with the DoT on AA, or something like that, then that's something to work on. An extra couple tenths of a second would help on your heals, but it won't fix everything.

Unfortunately, these days, everyone uses Elitist Group or Gearscore to determine if you're worth grouping with, which is really, really dumb when it comes to healers. Your focus should be improving your play, not your gear.

Bonus Healing: 2779
    Crit Chance: 26.12%
    Haste: 738
    Mana regen: 444

This is unbuffed.
    What should i aim for on these stats? Im just a casual raider that usualy raid in weekends.

Yeah, those stats are fine for ToGC, so your gear isn't an issue. I'd say your MP5 is high, and it probably is, but I often have mana issues in ToGC (insomuch as I have to monitor it and use cooldowns well), so your mileage may vary some. My stats: Healing 2481, Crit 29.88%, Haste 1200, Mana Regen 408 out, 293 in. I'd somewhat wonder if your bonus healing has some sort of buff, ELW or totem or something, but I ride very low there anyway, so it's no big deal.

As you can tell from my stats, your most important stats are Crit and Haste. Crit, primarily, for IWS procs and AA procs. The actual bonus to your casted heal is irrelevant. Generally speaking, once you hit around 2300-2400 bonus healing, your heals are hitting hard enough to do the job. More on top of that is mostly just going to add to your overhealing anyway. Haste is there because it's all that's left, and because it gives you a much bigger bang for the buck than any other stat. With WoA, it puts my Chain Heal/HW at 1.7s, and my LHW at 1.0s (actually probably around 1.04ish). Obviously, I'll have a decision to make once I hit the GCD cap (which is identical to your LHW cast time), but really, even with capping your LHW at 1s, more haste is still good, because it'll continue to drop HW and CH. With that much haste, and Tidal Waves, my HW is at 1.2s, so I can actually probably consistently cast them in the time it takes you to spit out LHW's.

Anyway, like I said, it's unlikely that your gear was that much of a problem. I'd back off on MP5 and SP in search of Crit and Haste, but I don't really think I'd go heavily out of my way. Just reenchant and regem when you get some upgrade.

I don't get your 'rotation' really, but generally, you will want to keep TW up on LHW/HW, if you can use CH without completely wasting the jumps. (Other tanks, melee, any will do).
    For raid spam, don't use RT, it's a waste really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    For raid spam, don't use RT, it's a waste really.
    Um, no. Use your own judgement when using it, if you have a spare GCD between CH spams, throwing out RT on the tank or someone is never a bad idea. It's instant-cast, heals for a good amount up front and then is a relatively powerful hot. Why would you call it a waste?

In fact, I've seen quite a few resto shams running with the RT glyph (along ES and CH) just to keep that hot rolling on multiple people at once.

I have a resto shaman on us/demon soul named coruptfaith u can look him up for gear ideas im over 3k gs. There are toc 25 legs that are really great for u and u can look at ur t 10 and t9 and if u use them correctly u can get all the haste peices in both. As far as hps goes my friend shamans arnt as great in a ten man there good but not as good as in 25s and 3k hps isnt that bad. it also depends on your other healers if all of u are really good all of your hps should be low that means ur keeping ppl topped off...if u really wanna know how u fair watch ur overall healing in a ten man u should always be first unless there is a druid in the raid then u will probly be 2nd in heals since there gonna keep ppl topped off...In a 25 man im always 1st on the list since ppl are more crowded and there is more raid dmg ur chain heal is insane. 1 last tip if u can get the frost emblems get ur totem it gives 85 sp ever time u hit riptide stackes 3 times for 15 sec i think so my rotation in a 25 man or 10 man is 4 chain heals 1 riptide while keeping es up on ur tank. ten man is same rotation but u will have to incorporate LSW or HW at times needed if u see ur tank gettin pounded...and if u wanna match ur gems just make sure they all have haste if u have oom issues make sure u get with a dps druid if u have one before u start and see if u cant get him to throw u an innervate...make sure u get to him before any other healers...sorry i wrote a book but hopfully this helps...if u ever wanna hop on a lvl 1 u can ask me questions in game as well GL

SP Just under 3k
    Haste 1076
    mana regen 460

These are my stats I dont really worry about Crit Chance much but u should really check out my gear im considered a casual raider if u raid on the weekends that should give u a chance to do all the raids u need to do do be fairly geared. Work on ur haste for the most part ur Bonus healing is good and so is ur regen. U may find issues with goin oom in icc ten i do a little bit but like i said get with a druid if u can...togc 25 has some really cool ups to like the toc 25 shield with haste but it also comes with yellow socket which is nice. id also focus more on getting in icc runs and leave togc alone unless its 25 man...never feel like u are undergeared goin in icc learn the fights have confidence and always heal on the edge where u are going oom at the end of the fight that is a sign of a good healer being able to spend all ur mana throughout the fight w/o going completly oom

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post
    Um, no. Use your own judgement when using it, if you have a spare GCD between CH spams, throwing out RT on the tank or someone is never a bad idea. It's instant-cast, heals for a good amount up front and then is a relatively powerful hot. Why would you call it a waste?

In fact, I've seen quite a few resto shams running with the RT glyph (along ES and CH) just to keep that hot rolling on multiple people at once.
    Rolling the HoT on Riptide is almost worthless, since the HoT is so small. It's useful in some cases, but rarely does it account for anything serious. I tend to use Riptide as a means of putting up Tidal Waves and little else, but its healing can be useful for just pure topups. It's useless for any real amount of healing overall.

But, in general, despite my disdain for Riptide, it can be pretty nice in certain situations. WoW has a tendency to work like that for healers, that even the utilities you dislike the most occasionally have their uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmacy View Post

First of all, the OP was talking as what seems to be using it on the cooldown. This is different from a free GCD. Even so, I would not call 1.1-1.2k ticks a powerful hot, not when compared to other similar hots such as renew or rejuv. It is ok to keep a RT up on the tank (or tanks) as it does provide some healing and when needed, you can consume the hot for a bigger CH heal on the tank when that person is dropping low. But compared to how much healing you can effectively do with the spell (including making others overheal) and how much mana it costs, there is a better way to spend your cast time and mana pool than to cast RT on the cooldown.

Here are some GOOD reasons to use RT:
    * Spot healing raid members dropping low
    * Gaining buffs (2pT10, TW, Totem, ...), although all but 2pT10 can be done with CH as well an even then it is rarily worth it for healing constant raid damage.
    * Pre-emptively casted to boost a CH when a big burst is coming in
    * Apply your only reliable hot
    * Use your only instant healing ability
    * Make you feel like you're using all your tools given to you. (Although that's like trying to make a sculpture with a nutcracker in your back pocket)

Here is why people use the RT glyph:
    * LHW is used less frequently in ICC due to gear scaling making up for HW
    * HST = Totem of Overhealing
    * HW does nothing for 9/24 people in your raid (except free up other healer's focus)
    * There is nothing else that can be better used in the circumstances those shamans play
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I'm sorry, the wording of your post made it seem like you were deriding Riptide. I see your point, no it's not something you use on cooldown like Penance or CoH would be for a Priest, but it's certainly a very useful tool in quite a few circumstances.

First of all I would advise any Shaman worried about HPS to stop caring about it.
    Your goal is simple: Keep your assigned targets alive!

There are two considerations you have to do before you even start healing, these are:
    a) Is my gear up for the job, "is my character able to do the job?".
    b) Is the job assigned overly punishing or too relaxing, "is the job able to be done by my character?".

Provided you're fairly confident they are, remember the focus is survival, not nice numbers. If I want I can pump out insane amounts of output by continuously CH-spamming the melee group at Lana'thel, but this may not be in the raid's best interest:
    - One of the range-group healers is running with fire, happens to be a shaman (very little healing while moving), and I see targets in his group hit by shadowbolts => LHW to the rescue! The deal here is that I need to be fast about the heal (I got tanks to keep up usually), LHW has a high chance to crit so there's a fair chance it'll still heal my main target and I cannot guarantee the affected targets are in CH-range of each other anyways.
    - Link goes up => RT one one of the link-targets => one more healspell on the main target => CH on that RTed linkmember. Hits while they're just close together in the center with maximum healpower.
    - During Bloodbolt Whirl, I can ~depend on the Priests and Druids to blanket the raid like there's no tomorrow. Especially since Druids need the pre-spam to be able to Nourish. LHW is my superior option, mixed with RTs, since it is very fast, crits constantly, and the crits autotarget further low-HP members ~1,5s later, reacting to spikes faster than I can.

All three of these do not maximize my HPS. But all three of these are superior to just shooting for HPS, because they focus on survival.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

+ Reply to Thread