+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot: Why I play a Priest

I disagree with Verminoth. I actually think this video is good insight into how people choose the classes they play, and what they enjoy about the game. Not everything has to be completely predigested and spoonfed to be called "useful" you know. Sometimes is better to get the raw content/thoughts of an experienced player, and then let everyone make their own opinion.
    There is plenty of discussion on the forums on content, theory, etc.
    THINK.

Thanks for another great Weekly Marmot, Aliena! Always love watching your videos, and it's fun to hear how people started the game and wound up doing what they do.

Priest Ftw

I have been playing a priest since vanilla. I think they are the best class in the game. I played holy for most of Lich but I just switched to disc for Icc. With websites like worldof logs disc priest healing can finally be appreciated for its raid healing potential Great post I enjoyed it very much.

Zuraz

Nice job as usual, Aliena. It was nice to watch, finally giving us a little insight on how your WoW mind ticks. Keep up the good work!

lol i love that part about bloodboil. That was hands down the most fun fight to heal in BC. I convinced a priest in my guild who was so anti coh to finally use it thanks to that fight. While the rest of the raid hated it including healers.. I absolutely loved it and shined during it. But ya the constant priest nerfing sux. I also picked up a priest in BC cause i wanted a blood elf rather then lvl my rogue from 60-70 I leveled a be Priest from 1-70. Good thing Blood Elfs own.

I didn't watch this all, obviously, but I got as far as the reason you started playing wow in summary (the first thing you said pretty much). "I got wow because my bf played".

I am willing to bet that 90% of the female community of wow, has this reason. I have no problem with this (in case you think I do), just mentioning what I have noticed. So guys, when you say "There are no girls in wow", there are, because you brought them all here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliluna View Post
    I am willing to bet that 90% of the female community of wow, has this reason. I have no problem with this (in case you think I do), just mentioning what I have noticed. So guys, when you say "There are no girls in wow", there are, because you brought them all here.
    The world may never know... Unless a poll was put up or something.
    ~shrug~

Quote Originally Posted by JakobBloch View Post
    I remember my days as a priest fondly. That was way back in vanilla though so I have no clue of what is going on in priest camp these days.

Back then healing was all about efficiency. Some people disagreed with me and probably still do but I am sticking to my guns on this one. I boasted the greatest efficiency in my guild back then (yes I am bragging) and I often finished fights with a half full mana pool. My guild leader frowned on that arguing that if my mana pool was half full at the end of the raid I had not healed enough. I argued that emptying my pool for the sake of appearance was a waste of resources and that an group of healers healing efficiently could save many situations that they could not if they went all out. There is something awesome about saving the day (or attempt) in a raid by blowing your emergency mana.

Those where the days... well actually I like the way the game is now more but nostalgia is a powerful thing. I there is anything mechanically I would like to change now it would be making healing more about efficiency again... not to the point of needing healing rotations but you get the point.
    in icc there are some bosses where you need to be efficient and single target heal players, also body and soul helps in some fights, you also have one time cds like hymn of hope and divine hymn(op heal good for queen air phase) that are pretty efficient. with the amount of spell power we have today the instant flash heals helps alot also cuz you most of the time have the buff and you can pop it on the tank or anyone else when theyre almost dying.

to me, i have been playing priest since vanila, but did most of it in tbc and wotlk, i must say priest has changed over the years completly, in holy you are a good tank offhealer when needed in a certain phase, i just dont like disc because its a one target efficient healer... i think they could make it more usefull for the raid or able to heal 2 targets at the same time kinda like beacon from the palas, because if you want a tank healer your not gonna pick a priest over a pala since he heals the offtank also.
    shadow is fun as it always was now with even bigger numbers and wicked fast casts ^^
    but i have been since mid tbc playing holy and i wont change too soon even with the druids owning me 3k hps diference, i know someday blizz will bringback our recount destroying healing meters and right now im pretty satisfied

ps: CoH in tbc was so op that not even today i can deal as much heal per second, even with 5600gear score!

Man I started playing wow because EQ2 wouldn't play on Linux and my husband's brother got him to start playing. I was a female human paladin (because he wanted to play Alliance). He got mad I out leveled him while we worked, so he quit and then I quit. We both came back around the same time as blood elf hunters. Again, I got a guild, got him invited, out leveled him, he quit, then I quit. Then maybe 3 months later I came back ... August 2008 ... and leveled my hunter to 70 ... then 73 the first day of wrath. I moved on to leveling alts until January 10th 2009 when my hubby said "what's this refer a friend? I'll play with you." He hated horde and I could see him wanting to leave again, so I looked at the general forums one day to find "new server opening". So the morning of Saturday, January 17th 2009 around 2am, I showed my hubby the new server "Borean Tundra" and decided I'd play alliance with him. I decided to make a warlock and almost became server first. In the end he quit the game over the summer, I transferred my original paladin to the server (my KŽona), got her to 80 and now my hubby is back, level 80 on his new warrior and my trusty off tank.

So yeah, originally my hubby brought me to wow and then I kept making him come back. It's going to stay that way too :P By the way, I love healing almost as much as tanking ... been working on my holy set and paladins are so more interesting to heal as than my 80 shaman. Next toon to level is a 37 holy (soon to be holy/disc) priest after I gear up my newest level 80 mage

Keep up the marmots, I love hearing from a fellow raiding female. I still can't believe for every 1 female in the gaming world is 10 single men. Strange statistics.

It's not even been a week and [You've Gone and Made a Mess (1 player)] of your little room. I like the marmot drawing though.

Actually it's a huge room and it's tidy, there's about 5 things on a glass table and the computers. =P

Quote Originally Posted by JakobBloch View Post
    I remember my days as a priest fondly. That was way back in vanilla though so I have no clue of what is going on in priest camp these days.

Back then healing was all about efficiency. Some people disagreed with me and probably still do but I am sticking to my guns on this one. I boasted the greatest efficiency in my guild back then (yes I am bragging) and I often finished fights with a half full mana pool. My guild leader frowned on that arguing that if my mana pool was half full at the end of the raid I had not healed enough. I argued that emptying my pool for the sake of appearance was a waste of resources and that an group of healers healing efficiently could save many situations that they could not if they went all out. There is something awesome about saving the day (or attempt) in a raid by blowing your emergency mana.

Those where the days... well actually I like the way the game is now more but nostalgia is a powerful thing. I there is anything mechanically I would like to change now it would be making healing more about efficiency again... not to the point of needing healing rotations but you get the point.
    I agree, when I play my priest (rarely now - stopped because it was too easy), I still play efficiently. I see many other priests doing 40-60% over healing (ending with 2% mana) and while I never frown upon them I always smile when I see the same healing done by me only 10-15% of it being over healing and 50% of my mana remaining. People can argue that "whats the point, aslong as the job gets done" and I certainly don't disagree but, if efficiency became important - the priest would certainly be a fun class for me to play again, and me making it efficient is the only way I can bear to get through heroics, weekly's or whatever raid I feel like running for a few extra emblems.

the only reason I made my priest was because of the the way PoM sounded. Of course I also enjoyed the way Lifebloom sounded (when it finished), but hands down imo a priest is greater than a druid, and that is why I have an 80 priest and only a lvl 31 druid lol.

Gluteas & Glutlolol. ;-D

For anyone who plays a priest, you have my respect. I honestly tried playing a priest, but gave up after level 5 since it was just so slow compared to other classes. I did take what I learned about kiting though, and right now I'm levelling a mage, which seems to be more gratifying.

I actually switched my main from resto druid to priest. As a tree, I could pump out a lot on the meters, and there was a lot of versatility, but I feel much stronger as a priest. With disc and holy asmy dualspec, I can comfortably fill either tank healing or raid healing while having new tools available to me when doing either. It keeps variety in there. I'm a holy priest first and foremost now, andI have to say I've never regretted switching from a tree. Renew is my filler spell, and it's gotten extremely strong. Using it along with all the procs, stacking and cooldowns that priest has available to it is MUUUUCH more enjoyable than standing around mainly mashing rejuv.

I dunno, but in general I beat out resto druids on meters anyway, so it's really win/win. I enjoy the variety and number of spells that holy priest has, and I can beat out resto druids to boot, except on fights where Blizzard has blatantly designed the damage for blanket rejuving (even then I can be REALLY close).

I see that you have your marmot up for the week Aliena, but is Lore not doing his this week. Checked youtube and the site and i dont see it.

He's putting it together atm from what I gathered.

Well, I started playing priest as shadow in tbc, but quickly changed to holy, which I seemed to enjoy more. Not going to change this any time soon.

Thanks for another Marmot

Up to this point Ive healed with every heal capable class except the druid. The class itself bored me so never got past lvl 25 jack of all trades master of none just made it a pain to stick with. Unfortunately my Priest healing days ended back in BC before the priest trees were changed so never got a taste for the OP CoH or PoH . In wrath the only classes Ive lvld that can heal are paladin & shaman. I have to say what I wouldn't give to be able to play my priest again when he had so much versatility as a healer. With my pally I get bored to being assigned to tank heals & spamming Holy light & with the shaman i get bored cause of his OP chain heal. nothing like the days with my priest back in vanilla & early BC. This latest post might get me to lvl my priest again after all I only lvld my shaman when the totem bar was introduced & wanted to check it out of curiosity. I wish I had continued playing & might have known what a OP priest healer was guess we'll have to wait for Cataclysm to see how the healer classes get changed.

Currently I enjoy playing my holy priest much more than my tank, but my Warrior tank being my main, takes all precedence over my playing another class regularly and I've not even had the chance to step into ICC yet on my healer.

My wife enjoys more alt leveling and doing 5mans than raiding and she just got a druid to 80 (her 4th) a few weeks back and while she wasn't around I decided to jump on her druid and try my hand at resto'ing heroics and pugging into some 10's to get her new character up to speed to start farming for frost badges and found that compared to my priest, healing on a druid is stupid easy. You can literally set the druid on auto-follow to another caster class, throw out some HoTs, and go make a sammich or watch YouTube and not be afraid of failing. As the Triumphs came rolling in and I started upgrading it only got easier from that point. It took me weeks of heroics and upgrading into Tier gear before i felt comfortable stepping into 10's on the priest but over the course of one day I went from heroics to 10mans on the druid without missing a beat and still not being what I would call decently geared at all. The one day of heroics helped me replace the quest greens with some decent epics but it wasn't like I went from quest/non-h blues into tier gear before I jumped into these raids. It's no wonder that every raid formed on my server tends to choose Resto Druids over Holy Priests when available, they're much more consistent and don't require that the healer be geared on par in order to heal the content.

Edited to add:

If you are very familiar with the raiding content a Resto Druid is a much more proactive healer than a Holy Priest by miles, the only way I find a Priest to be better is in the utility of dispels and instant group heals, which with the right player on the Druid pretty much cancels out the need for big instant group heals.
    Last edited by Riptides; 02-12-2010 at 06:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread