+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Lich King

my healers are running out of mana by the end of phase 1, is this normal?

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

not really, you should have 3 shamblings at the most, any more than that you risk hitting enrage timer.

hrm, I guess I"m just having problems understanding how to handle phase 1, we have our DK tank him where the 10 man video shows him, i pick up the dredge ghouls and everyone dps' LK. The shambling comes, I taunt him, and i put vigilance on the DK tank for taunt refreshes, and i face the shambling away from raid, and call for dps, we all dps down the shambling, while cleaving down the dredge ghouls, normally we get the horror down right as a new horror comes up, and thus barely any dps gets on LK. How are we supposed to be stacking the plague? It just seems like the healers are dispelling it non-stop till it gets on an add, then the add dies and it spreads and goes higher in tick damage. Do we just have to get lucky with the plague getting on the adds or should we keep melee on the boss and only have range on the horrors and adds and let me tank them farther away? We barely managed to get to phase 2 but we lost some people, and just rofl survived our way to phase 3 before getting 1 shot by everyone. I think LK had 57 stacks of his buff before phase 2 started =P

You use the Necrotic Plague to kill the Shambling Horrors.

You shouldn't be DPS'ing the shamblings. You also shouldn't be killing the first shambling before the next one comes up. What happens then is that you're losing your stacked Plague and it has to start stacking again, which is a huge loss of dps on the shamblings.

Your raid has 4s to get to just behind the shambling. Your healers shouldn't dispel faster than 4s, but need to dispel exactly at that time. If the plague is going from one person to another person that isn't the OT or the SH (or a ghoul if your OT is tanking a ghoul as well), then you're doing plague wrong.

You should be standing in a triangle with the ranged as one point, the LK/melee/tank as a second, and the OT with the SH as a 3rd. The points should be ~8 yards apart so that melee or ranged can get to the OT within 4s.

Darksend, the strat says:

Phase 2 is all about handling defiles and proper slows. The person getting targeted by it is rarely the person that makes it grow, but rather the people around the person targeted who are unsure about which way the defile will be ran. We used a general strategy of teleporter to throne. A defile in the middle could have devastating results if a valkyr slower gets picked up.
    Can you elaborate this a bit? What does 'teleporter to throne' entail?

Also, for healers, do they need to interrupt or dispel the spirit's cast? Does the spirit's spell auto-kill Terenas at the end of the cast? Can they just heal through the spirit casting and keep Terenas at near full life? Is the damage near the end of the spirit's cast too much to heal?
    Last edited by Arianne; 02-18-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    hrm, I guess I"m just having problems understanding how to handle phase 1, we have our DK tank him where the 10 man video shows him, i pick up the dredge ghouls and everyone dps' LK. The shambling comes, I taunt him, and i put vigilance on the DK tank for taunt refreshes, and i face the shambling away from raid, and call for dps, we all dps down the shambling, while cleaving down the dredge ghouls, normally we get the horror down right as a new horror comes up, and thus barely any dps gets on LK. How are we supposed to be stacking the plague? It just seems like the healers are dispelling it non-stop till it gets on an add, then the add dies and it spreads and goes higher in tick damage. Do we just have to get lucky with the plague getting on the adds or should we keep melee on the boss and only have range on the horrors and adds and let me tank them farther away? We barely managed to get to phase 2 but we lost some people, and just rofl survived our way to phase 3 before getting 1 shot by everyone. I think LK had 57 stacks of his buff before phase 2 started =P

Basically if a single disease gets wasted you are in trouble. Make a triangle, tank lich king on the teleporter, have the adds about 7-10 yards behind lich king and then all the range in between as the third point. People need to run to the shambler AS SOON as they get the disease. What is probably happening is you are losing diseases because they are being dispelled and nothing is in range for it to jump too, just tell your dispellers to wait, you have 5 seconds before you have to dispell, so 3 seconds should be more than enough time to run to the add. Honestly, we do 0 dps to the shambler in 10 or 25 and they just die on their own from the disease, it just takes practice. how many attempts are left in that 10 man video I forget, but we got to lich king with 20 left I am pretty sure, we spent all but the kill and the attempt before struggling with phase 1 (even though we were beating it we were taking 3-4 shamblers every time).

When the disease is dispelled it loses a stack so you want to never get it on a player if you can help it but if it kills its target it gains a stack (in the case of the shambler when it runs its full duration it acts like it killed it and still gains a stack). This is why the offtank needs to drag ghouls over so you can bounce it between ghouls and the boss and never yourself.

Can you elaborate this a bit? What does 'teleporter to throne' entail?

Also, for healers, do they need to interrupt or dispel the spirit's cast? Does the spirit's spell auto-kill Terenas at the end of the cast? Can they just heal through the spirit casting and keep Terenas at near full life? Is the damage near the end of the spirit's cast too much to heal?
    Yes, healers need to dispel and interrupt, the damage done in 1 global of the channel is way more than any amount of healing you can do in the 1 global it takes to dispel or wind shock (if that is even on global)

as for the strat, ok forgive how crude this is going to be I apologize you put me on the spot here and I am on my bad computer.

Obviously this is extremly rough, if a melee gets it while killing a valkyr that is already flight away or if a tank gets it things need to adjust but this was the general strategy we set up going in. Remember, you will always be carried to the nearest edge when picked up, so in 25 man you want to cheat to one side to force them to fly together to allow them to be cleaved.
    Last edited by Darksend; 02-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Ah, gotcha, didn't understand it well enough and was wondering how our mages were getting the disease (probably dispelled off, and he recasted).

He will never recast it just because it is dispelled, he does it exactly every 30 seconds. So if one is removed without it jumping it is gone from the fight. I never have to ask anymore if we lose the first disease because if you did the lich kings buff will be at 1 and have less than 15 seconds left on it.

My guild is currently getting destroyed by phase 2, main issues seem to be either defile filling the room when we try to bunch up for the Val'kyr or people getting dropped to their death when we try to spread for defile, even with the tank calling out defile targets the tanks reaction time + vent delay + the target's reaction time is making that non-viable for us. I think lack of stuns or effective snares is our main problem with the Val'kyr, not sure what we can do about the defile though as people spreading too much makes the already difficult Val'kyrs a nightmare.
    Don't you just love when people that geared up in Ulduar 25 complain that Ulduar 10 isn't a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Vetrosian View Post
    My guild is currently getting destroyed by phase 2, main issues seem to be either defile filling the room when we try to bunch up for the Val'kyr or people getting dropped to their death when we try to spread for defile, even with the tank calling out defile targets the tanks reaction time + vent delay + the target's reaction time is making that non-viable for us. I think lack of stuns or effective snares is our main problem with the Val'kyr, not sure what we can do about the defile though as people spreading too much makes the already difficult Val'kyrs a nightmare.
    There is nearly always a 5second gap between defile and the val'kyr. If defile is coming first then just spread and once it gets dropped, instantly run right in to the melee of the lich king.

If Val'kyr is first (the hardest), then just make sure you get in to melee for Val'kyr and spread out very quickly after its got its target, obviously melee cant spread, but they should keep an eye on who defile is going on and move away quickly!

DBM or Big Wiggs helps tons with the timings for Defile and Val'kyr. Everyone in the raid should have one of those addons. (Just as a note, even though i do use DBM, Big Wiggs does seem to be most up to date on Lich King Info)

My guild just started working on LK in 25m last night. We got to P2 on our first 2 attempts, then had a difficult time for some reason after that.

I am the OT and we use a pally as MT. He normally picks up all the ghouls that spawn and I periodically taunt ghouls for stacking the disease on the horrors.

What I am wondering is how many ghouls should I be holding to bounce the stack around? Do I want one at a time and then taunt another when that ghoul dies, or should I have 3-4 including the horror.
    Wise men say "forgiveness is divine," but never pay full price for late pizza.

the ghouls do very little damage from what I've seen, it's always easier to have more ghouls than less ghouls, because if it jumps to a ghoul it'll just increase in stacks and deal more damage to the horrors. It CAN get hectic though, i went into phase 2 with 1.5 horrors, but the stack had reached such an enormous level from just keep jumping on ghouls, it ticked once, killed the .5 ghoul, ticked once on the full ghoul and 1 shot him. Just keep calm, and you should be okay.

When you have a single horror, one at a time works best, you have 15 seconds to get a new ghoul before it will jump to you as the offtank. When you have 2 horrors up, you want 0 ghouls on you.

Thanks for the great vids. We used your strat to help down LK tonight and just wanted to add a helpful bit of information for phase 3.

After the transition phase, as a tank, I waited for the Lich King to run towards me to be tanked near the edge of the platform. When he spawns the vile spirits, they hover around in the air and are inactive for a while. They do not follow you until they start attacking, so after they've all spawned, I'd kite LK to the opposite side of the platform with the raid following. When the spirits start attacking, they have a much further distance to travel and they move quite slowly. This also leaves plenty of room for the defiles and keeps the pools near the outside edge of the platform. Our OT would also taunt the spirits away from the casters and try to eat most of their explosive damage.

Hope this helps some of you out!

Thanks for all the great vids. Keep em coming!

Thanks for the advice wasn't aware of a time delay between the Val'kyr and the defiles, managed 49% this week, going to need more practice with the defiles though.
    Don't you just love when people that geared up in Ulduar 25 complain that Ulduar 10 isn't a challenge

For those of you running a melee heavy group, what is the best method of dealing with the first wave of vile spirits after the transition? For the later waves it seems having the OT taunt will work, but IIRC the first wave will start flying down before the last raging spirit is dead. I also see that some of you are using army of the dead and earth elementals to deal with vile spirits, but I'm hesitant to use them before the raging spirits are dead because if they taunt the raging spirit at a bad time it won't be pretty.

I've heard some confilicting info on what can be used on the valks in phase 2 to slow em.

Stuns work for sure as do snares (chains etc).

One strat I read said slows do NOT work (ie frost bolt). Just trying to figure out how we will handle them in our 10 man based on what classes we will have since it will not always be the same.

Can anyone clarify? As a mage I would consider speccing slow in one of my specs if we needed it and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahriel View Post
    There is nearly always a 5second gap between defile and the val'kyr. If defile is coming first then just spread and once it gets dropped, instantly run right in to the melee of the lich king.
    Are you sure about the 5 second gap? We had our first evening at LK25 and kept on wiping on same thing, second Defile came exactly the same time with Valkyrs and we ran out of ideas on how to counter it, ended up choosing to sacrifice couple people over killing whole raid with Defile. In 10man this was not an issue since you only have one Valkyr that is really easy to dps down even if it's not spawned in center.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about Phase 1.

In the 25-man video, you say to ignore the Shamblers and burn down the Lich King quickly, but in the 10-man video, you say to focus on the Shamblers and apparently only kill the LK when there's time? Also, in the 25-man video you say the OT shouldn't tank the ghouls (except 1-2), but in the 10-man video, your OT tanks all the ghouls?

Is there a reason for this?

My 10-man group has, until now, been using the 25-man tactic of ignoring the Shamblers/MT holding the ghouls, but we usually have 1-2 Shamblers up during the phase change and a ton of ghouls. We're starting Phase 2 with ghouls and raging spirits alive, and it's basically chaos.

Should we put all our DPS on the Shamblers and get the OT to tank all the ghouls?

PS) Anybody else having a problem where LK keeps moving? Even if I stay still, he keeps circling around me. Very annoying.

What I'm wondering is how my group is going to handle this fight. While we are ranged heavy, we are also paladin heavy. Two of the paladins are tanks, one is ret, and the last being holy. I, myself, am the main tank. What would be the best strategy for us if both tanks have AD on CD for some reason and how would we surivie the horror with no way to tranq it?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel028 View Post
    What I'm wondering is how my group is going to handle this fight. While we are ranged heavy, we are also paladin heavy. Two of the paladins are tanks, one is ret, and the last being holy. I, myself, am the main tank. What would be the best strategy for us if both tanks have AD on CD for some reason and how would we surivie the horror with no way to tranq it?
    The horror is stunable so if you see it casting an enraged shockwave you should conc blow, bash, hoj, kidney, etc if the enrage is not being removed.
    Since they are undead, Holy Wrath works as well.
    Last edited by Timecks; 06-09-2010 at 02:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread