+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I tank?

Why can't I tank?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...%C3%B2ddrinker
    Hi.
    I've got a 70 DK, that is pretty chill to level and to DPS it seems, but somehow I can't tank.
    Whenever I go to an instance as a tank, I die, and healers say I take waayyy too much damage. Any Idea what am I doing wrong? I'd like to stay on blood skill, if possible.

moved to the correct forum
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSlave View Post
    Hi.
    I've got a 70 DK, that is pretty chill to level and to DPS it seems, but somehow I can't tank.
    Whenever I go to an instance as a tank, I die, and healers say I take waayyy too much damage. Any Idea what am I doing wrong? I'd like to stay on blood skill, if possible.
    To put it bluntly, your gear sucks...

More precisely, your health is low, you're nowhere near defense capped (don't think I saw any on there) Get the Cobalt crap crafted, a friend of mine did and it made a world of difference, from me having to drink every pull to going four or five without drinking, I understand how it is with getting pieces that have nothing to do with your class/spec just because... it's that good... My shaman is running around with a few +SP pieces because they were that much of an upgrade (as enhancement)

Where would I get/farm better gear?
    And what do you mean with the cobalt crap?

he means speak to a blacksmith and ask them to make you the crafted tanking gear. Its all Cobalt something. Check in auction house aswell. lots of it is made as people use it to lvl blacksmithing. stock up on that. get a tanking spec and change ur glyphs. make sure u have teh defence rune aswell. Its called stoneskin gargoyle or something

As already said your gear is totally messed up. As a DK, you should avoid plate gear with:

1. Spell power or mana per 5 secs, this is paladin gear.
    2. Block value or block rating, this is for shield users.

At the moment a third of your gear has spell power/mp5, a third is dps gear and maybe a third is tank gear. All should be tank gear. Tank gear is identified by having tank stats like defense, dodge and parry. Also a very high percentage of your gear are greens (as in not as good as blues).

Stam is the number one priority for tanks. no stam no health, and for dk's its important to have parry seeing as we have no shields.

You may want to consider a respec with your updated gear. I'd highly suggest going into the Frost tree to gain the passive stamina and armor bonuses contained therein. It's not too rough to level as Frost and it allows you the ability to dive into a random dungeon from time to time.

Further damage mitigation can be gained form the 5 point tanking talents in both the Blood and Unholy trees when more talent points become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralaillan View Post
    Stam is the number one priority for tanks. no stam no health, and for dk's its important to have parry seeing as we have no shields.
    Pretty sure dodge is preferred over parry.

Not exactly a DK expert but parry comes with str (for DK) and thus main focus usually goes towards dodge.

Regarding the defense, getting some def gear in usually helps a lot. Up until the Northrend instances it's doable without having def, sometimes tricky but doable. On northrend it's a must to have defense gear to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralaillan View Post
    Dodge is preferred over parry since it gives more for each point (because of diminshing returns). Like someone said we get parry from strength and for some reason some people think we also should gem for it which I recomend against. If its on your gear, sure fine but gem for dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    Dodge is preferred over parry since it gives more for each point (because of diminshing returns). Like someone said we get parry from strength and for some reason some people think we also should gem for it which I recomend against. If its on your gear, sure fine but gem for dodge.
    Although you should not be gemming parry, please get it right PatrikL. Every point of dodge is equivalent to every point of parry, it got normalized a few patches back. However, Parry faces a steeper diminishing returns curve, which is why dodge is only very sligthly better than parry. And it is all a moot point at 70.

The simple advise is this. If the gear you are wearing doesn't have defense on it, it's the wrong piece for you. you need to achieve 490 defense at level 70, and more past 70. Even with a full cobalt set you won't hit the defense cap, you still need to get other defense items (Cloaks, necklaces, etc.) as well as some defense enchants (most are familiar with chest, but there is also a 12 defense from TBC which is quite good for this). And not having the StoneSkin Gargoyle on your weapon is just bad, it's free and you can deathgate to acherus and fix it in less than a minute.

Until your defense hits 490, stop tanking, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Although you should not be gemming parry, please get it right PatrikL. Every point of dodge is equivalent to every point of parry, it got normalized a few patches back. However, Parry faces a steeper diminishing returns curve, which is why dodge is only very sligthly better than parry. And it is all a moot point at 70.
    Sorry but I thought thats what I said? Because of the diminishing returns (or rather the difference in it between the two stats) dodge rating gives more (should have written higher extra chance of avoidance in the end here not only "more") per point than parry. Or did you mean that I have missunderstod it?

Speaking about diminshing returns I was under the impression the curve looks the same for dodge and parry now and that the difference is where along the curve we are? (A DK tank more or les always having more parry rating than dodge rating)

And yes I did forget that this is different at lvl 70 than at lvl 80.

While most of this stuff is sound advice (mp5 gear is bad, block gear is bad, non-tank gear isn't great) you don't really need to be defense capped for instances until level 80 heroics. Lower level instances are balanced around tanks that aren't defense capped. It's still a nice stat to have though.

I reskilled into the frost tree, and I've tanked a BC instance (Sethek Halls, or however it's called) and I did pretty good, as the others say. Do you think I'm ready to go into Keep/Nexus as a tank?

*bump*
    I seem to take a lot less damage, and be able to tank better by far.
    Anything equip-wise I should get (maybe from a dungeon-boss somewhere?)?

As you see, I found a blood-tanking skill. It plays pretty flowingly, also.

Sry for Double Post.

I got some gear, what to do next? What to gem for? What should I buy for marks?
    Armory link in the post above.

Def = 481 = No Tanking @ 80.

Someone did mention 490 defense being the uncrittible goal at 70 - but that it's higher at 80. At 80 it's 540 for raids, 535 for pre-ToC Heriocs (I think it's pre-ToC). So 481 is simply not cutting it.

I'm a warrior tank, not a DK, so I don't know all the ins and outs - but I'm sure there's a good DK tank guide stickied here or at elitist jerks, I'd read over that and then ask more questions.

Since DK tanks don't use shields, and you're the type that uses a 2-hander, Defense is even more critical for your other gear and:
    A) Your chest doesn't have any.
    B) You also have the 245 Triumph Agility ring, which gives a little armor and dodge, but no explicit defense, dodge, or parry.
    C) Your Legs don't have any, but you gemmed for it, sort of.
    D) Your helm is a DPS helm and has no Def.

Your gear is not feasible for tanking @80. You can't take DPS gear, throw a +20 Def gem on it and use it to tank. Right now ~3% of all hits are going to be crits (480% leaves you 3% crittable). That's 1 out of 33 roughly, that means you have to take down the boss before that 1 in 33 hits you or it's game over.

DPS gear also doesn't give you dodge or parry (and Def gives you a small amount of each as well) - meaning more hits are going to land which means more damage.

This is blunt - but read, read, read, read. Find the DK tanking guides here or at elitist jerks, read them, then ask specific questions. Those guides will give you a lot of the information you need.

At 80, it's 540 defense for level 83 raid bosses, 535 for level 82 bosses. The simple advice is just get 540 defense and never shy under it. If you are *truly* struggling to get gear, 535 will get you through most heroics, but get your butt over to the pre-raid gearing guides in the FAQ and get the quest tanking items and the revered rep-related gear from the Argent Crusade, Wyrmrest Accord etc.

Cobalt Crap

Your defense determines the chance you take a critical hit from a mob (And some other things as well). You shouldn't worry about it too much - just know that more is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

+ Reply to Thread