+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking too much DMG

Taking too much DMG

Hallo,

I have been playing war for a short time, I got geared fast and was lucky enough to get thrown into a main/Offtanking roll in my guild.. My guild has just recently(after my transition from t9 to t10) decided that I take too much damage, now I am no phenom MT here and I know that.. Ive put every bit of knowledge into my gear/spec as I can, and seem to be lost on what to do.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...thecus&cn=Zabx

Please have a look and see if i'm doing anything horribly wrong I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

If your healers are complaining about you taking too much damage, you might want to look into using the Shield Wall and Last Stand glyphs so you can use them more often during encounters. Even though the Shield Wall glyph reduces it's reduction effect, being able to use it more than once in a fight will compensate for that in total reduction given over the course of the fight.

Intelligent use of cool downs (Shield Block / Shield Wall / Last Stand + Enraged Regen / Trinkets) is an important thing to master if you plan on tanking.

A few things regarding gear.

Helm: If the socket bonus is +12 Stam, SOCKET FOR THE BONUS!!! You can get +10 Dodge or +10 Expertise for the cost of only 3 Stamina!! I would Socket Expertise/Stam since you only have 20 Expertise, and you want to have 26.

Belt: Personally I would have socket for the bonus on this. Exp/Stam
    Boots: I would have socket for the bonus too on this. Def/Stam

Other than the 1 major and 2 minor things, the only other issues I see would be Spec/Glyphs or the healers. (which I won't go into since I know nothing about warriors)

What content they are complaining about you being "too squishy" in? That would help others with helping you.

Thank you for your replies! I'll be taking your gemming advice Selene thanks! Regarding Guth, I feel rather comfortable with my cooldown usage although as I learn the new fights in ICC im sure I will learn the best time for cooldown's as I learn the fight itself.

If someone could look at my specs/glyphs I would greatly appreciate it, they have been kind of copied from the top geared prot war on my server although they are slightly changed. One spec is MAX HP(5/15/51) My major glyphs are the necessary Blocking and Devastate glyphs with Vig glyph to try to make up for lost threat, and the other is my MAXthreat spec(15/3/53) which has the Blocking Devastate glyphs with a Cleave glyph for making aoe trash tanking ezmode. I'm not sure if this is the best for me but like I said I don't claim to be any tank phenom my only class and roll I played for 5 years was restosham lolol but that's why I'm here!

Also to answer Selene's question with what content my healers were complaining in, it was Putricide 10man. (with 3 or 4 alts 1 being a healer) Not to make it sound like it was completely their fault although I do believe it was also due to them being overwhelmed by bad players taking too much dmg (Malleable Goo, Slime Puddles) in phase 3, I actually do agree with them to a certain extent.. Sometimes my health will just drop like a ton of bricks and having the gear I do, it just doesn't seem to add up.

Thanks again for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by zabx View Post
    Also to answer Selene's question with what content my healers were complaining in, it was Putricide 10man. (with 3 or 4 alts 1 being a healer) Not to make it sound like it was completely their fault although I do believe it was also due to them being overwhelmed by bad players taking too much dmg (Malleable Goo, Slime Puddles) in phase 3, I actually do agree with them to a certain extent.. Sometimes my health will just drop like a ton of bricks and having the gear I do, it just doesn't seem to add up.
    Edit: Sry missread your post :-)

Shameless BUMP ;]

Your health will always sometimes drop like a ton of bricks... that's the nature of the RNG.

Use your glyphs like you'd use potions. THEY ARE SUPER CHEAP. Beg a guildie to make you stacks of what you use (cleave, taunt, last stand, devastate... whatever) and swap them out to cater to specific fights.

Oh, yeah, and potions... use those armor potions, they are the love

Thanks Posolutely, yeah ill start carrying around some glyphs in my inventory.. Should help a little with specific fights, and I always do carry a stack of armor pots <3

But I would still like to have someone look at my spec's, I'm not sure if not hearing anything with 200 views on this thread is a good thing or not :s

PLEASE HALP!

I'm not familiar with the exact fight your talking about, I haven't raided in months but there is something other people have not mentioned. Make sure your melee DPSers stay behind the boss, any parries they cause increase the boss' swing timer by 40% on the next hit, that might be where the spike damage is coming from especially if your unlucky with Dodge, Parry or Block.

Armoury is down at the moment so can't really comment on spec/gear.

Your 2nd spec is the standard DW spec, I would advise moving points from imp. revenge to Shield Spec. Imp. Revenge no longer hits harder then devastate. Therefore I'd totally remove it from your rotation and spec. I'm not a fan of the cleave glyph, it's only useful for trash.

Your better geared then I am; so gear is definitely a non-issue in terms of the damage your taking. I've easily done all the fights minus Arthas. I've got more bonus armor, but not by much.

Don't gem for socket bonus'. Gem for 1 socket bonus, preferably with a red + blue combo with +9 or higher stam bonus, or a red + meta combo with a +12 stam bonus. Use one expertise / stam purple gem. This will get you a socket bonus and activate your meta. Otherwise gem all stam.

Get rid of the Ony talisman. Even Blackheart (5m reg toc) or brewmaster are better.

Make sure your using TC and demoshout. You shouldn't be taking obscene levels of damage, the above recommendations are small things.

I'd get +275 hps on your chest.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    I'm not familiar with the exact fight your talking about, I haven't raided in months but there is something other people have not mentioned. Make sure your melee DPSers stay behind the boss, any parries they cause increase the boss' swing timer by 40% on the next hit, that might be where the spike damage is coming from especially if your unlucky with Dodge, Parry or Block.

Armoury is down at the moment so can't really comment on spec/gear.
    ROFL..... welp, my guilds strat has been melee from the front in phase 3 of Putricide to avoid gas bombs.. If this is true that would be why we were stuck on him in 25man for 3 weeks.

Hahahahahaha fuck thats retarded..

In response to Drae, Yeah i was thinking about doing that but was a little nervous of removing it. I am swapping my cleave glyph out for single target fights, i keep it in for Lady Deathwhisper and Boat boss(homeship tanking).

I did end up keeping my gems as I had them after Selene's advice, I figured my threat is fine I dont need to be sacrificing stam, however I will switch my dodge/stam for an exp/stam gem.

LOL I had my talisman trinket on while farming my bindings in MC, I never use it in any 25 man raid. I use Corroded Skeleton Key and the Armor trinket(badges)/Juggernaughts, however I usually am wearing my armor trinket for any hard hitting boss in ICC.

As for TC and DS I do my best to keep them up as much as possible, My debuff addon is so buggy though, I need to find a new one. Any suggestions?

o_o I just realized I did that.. Why the hell would i put 10stats on it? Haha I will fix that enchant immediately.

Thanks alot for your response Drae and Kyp ;]

maybe they are just bad healers? ever thought of that? Also, a funny thing comes to mind-when my guild was first attempting ToGC all they could say to me as a warrior tank was that I take too much damage when in all honesty they just werent healing hard enough and paying enough attention to the insane amount of un avoidable damage I was taking.
    Last edited by luv2tank; 02-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.

maybe its just me but this is an LOL statement... "TANK UR TAKING TOO MUCH DMG..." point of a tank is to soak up dmg, and in icc if ur guild/healers havent noticed, tanks still get 2-3shot by like every boss (lich king apparently hits 40k dmg on plates in 25m, ur healers still gonna say u take too much dmg there >.>)

Keep in mind they are comparing me to the other two tanks (bear druid and prot pali) in game aswell through WWS reports, and I am consistently taking more damage while at the same time having better gear than both of them.

3 different classes. Damage is a little different from both, you really cannot compare unless its warrior and warrior tanks or w/e you'd like to suggest. if you want to message me i can show you some logs of my own attempts on 25 icc and see how yours compare.

Please post some WWS if possible, those would help a lot more than a bunch of us poking in the dark at what might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zabx View Post
    Keep in mind they are comparing me to the other two tanks (bear druid and prot pali) in game aswell through WWS reports, and I am consistently taking more damage while at the same time having better gear than both of them.
    i'd be interested in seeing these wws as well.

I dont have the exact raid reports for the encounter that really made me post here, but here are some others.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/notf8...?s=9446&e=9548

^Thats our first putricide kill (phase 3)

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/35242/

^Thats all of our 25 man raids

idk, most of your damage intake is hard to compare with my logs b/c of sitiational things during the encounter. However, something like festergut where it looks like you tanked him second you only took 10k more damage than the tank that was with me and he was a paladin. So it is hard to judge, but even by the logs im not sure how they think you take to much when you are marginally less on most of the analysis. Do they mean at specific times in specific fights? If so there isnt much you can but use your cool downs to your best knowledge and hope for some good RNG. I mean you are a warrior, the other dude is a druid and the other is a paladin-it is hard to compare a warrior tanks intake when a paladin is just much smoother damage taken from my experiences.

Well, from the Putricide kill I noticed something that would certainly increase your damage intake. According to the link, the boss fight lasted 8:43 and Demoralizing Shout was only up 30% of the time, Demo Roar wasn't up, Vindication up 18.1% of the time. That leaves ~52% of the fight where the boss had no AP debuff at all.

Looking at some other fights, Lord Marrowgar from the 9th of this month & Rotface, your raid's debuff up-time is really bad.

Sure Marrowgar might be an easy farm boss but 26.8% up-time on Thunder Clap with only 13.4% up-time on Infected Wounds does leave 59.8% of the fight with no attack speed reduction debuff.

Rotface wasn't any better, 3 total Demo Shouts for 28.8% up-time (No Demo Roar / Vindication) and Thunder Clap only had 2 applications for 19.2% up-time (No Infected Wounds) over the course of a 5:11 fight.

+ Reply to Thread