+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best pally tanking trinkets...

Best pally tanking trinkets...

Personally I don't like stam trinkets. That's just me. With the gem slots in gear I don't feel you need them, but I'm wondering what the community thinks is the best trinkets for pally tanking is.

Currently the "best" non-raid drop tanking trinkets are Glyph and Black Heart. Doesn't matter what class you are.

Stamina / Armor trinkets are usually (some bosses are exceptions) the safest bet for raid tanking. Why? because they're always there no matter what and they are not subject to DR. Avoidance is subject to diminishing returns (the more of it you have, the less you get per point).

Some people try the argument "Using stam trinkets makes healers go oom because their avoidance is lower" - this is false - avoidance measured on such a small scale (typically 1-2.5% dodge or parry) will not cause healers to go oom. Avoidance does not save healers mana.

Healers will be spamming your character like it's the end of the world regardless of you dodging 3 attacks in a row and being at 100% hp the whole time or eating 2 of the 3 hits and being at 30%. So it mostly boils down to:

A) Do I want to give my healers more breathing room, where if I don't avoid multiple attacks in a row (or take unavoidable damage + boss swings) they can still keep me up.

or

B) Do I want to hope RNG favors me and I avoid lots of hits and never suffer successive hits otherwise I risk being killed due to sacrificing health in favor of ~2% avoidance.

I personally find there are 2 scenario's to consider when choosing your trinkets:

A) you are the main tank
    B) you are off tanking

In the case of being the offtank you are guarenteed to be taking more damage and in this case I will normally toss on stam trinkets.

In the event of being an off tank the less damage you take the better, this way your healers can focus in on the main tank.

Of course there are exceptions. Take for instance 10/25 ToTC/ToGC Beasts encounter. While tanking Impaler regardless of being the Main or Off tank the more you can avoid the impales the better. I have ran into many cases where I dodge off the stacks early with my avoidance trinkets. At the same time having a higher base health pool means the healers have a little more wiggle room if they need to move if they get a fire or snobold.

In the end you can balance between the two. Using 1 stam 1 avoidance can be helpful. But I find it best to keep both in my bags and switch as required depending on the boss encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by bellumdeus View Post
    Of course there are exceptions. Take for instance 10/25 ToTC/ToGC Beasts encounter. While tanking Impaler regardless of being the Main or Off tank the more you can avoid the impales the better. I have ran into many cases where I dodge off the stacks early with my avoidance trinkets. At the same time having a higher base health pool means the healers have a little more wiggle room if they need to move if they get a fire or snobold.

In the end you can balance between the two. Using 1 stam 1 avoidance can be helpful. But I find it best to keep both in my bags and switch as required depending on the boss encounter.
    That fight is a bad example, Since you have to use the same gear, for 3 "boss fights" in that encounter. The Wurms and Yeti are EH fights.

Selene that is why I said later on in my post that using 1 stam 1 avoidance can be more beneficial aswell

+ Reply to Thread