+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gemming agility as a tank?

Gemming agility as a tank?

I've been using Rawr to optimize my gear set for my warrior tank for months now. Recently, since I've started Icecrown and checking the Chill of the Throne debuff in buffs options, When I run the optimizer it recommends putting a shifting dreadstone (10 agi 15 stam) in my red sockets. Seems a little off to me. Thoughts?

Well, you get armor, dodge and crit from it. So it has mitigation, avoid and threat covered in one package. And it scales with Kings. If you don't need Expertise then it's not that bad a deal. Just don't expect one gem to make all the difference. And I would only honor the socket bonus if it doesn't cost too much to do so. I wouldn't gem blue, red, yellow sockets just to get a 9 stam bonus.
    YMMV. This heavily depends on your +hit/+exp and how comfortable you feel with what you have. I found I don't need to reach the soft caps and I'm comfortable with being a few percent below them.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Kind of in the same boat. I need a red gem and have a red socket with + 12 stam bonus so it's a no brainer where to put it. But I don't know what to gem Dodge / Stam or Agil / Stam.

I think I am going to go with Agil since it affects more stats in mine.

When going for a socket bonus the difference between 10 agility and 10 dodge is completely minimal and unnoticable. With such a small difference between the two you might as well go with the one you prefer. I prefer the agility because of the additional EH and damage but it is almost irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Well, you get armor, dodge and crit from it.
    With all the dumbing down that Blizzard has done to the information stream, does Agility really give dodge to warriors when it doesn't say it on the stat window mouseover? We were just talking about this in guild tonight.

I only go for socket bonuses if the bonus is over 9 stamina. In this case, it was the belt from emblems of frost, so it was worth is.

I rarely Gem for dodge in all honesty, my gear has so much of it to begin with that I'd rather use the gem slots for threat or extra health. With 31 expertise I don't really need to gem for that either, so It was a choice between ignoring the socket bonus anyway and going for 3 30 stam gems on the belt, going against my instinct and using a dodge/stam gem, or using an agility gem. I went with the agility gem eventually.

On a side note, Strangely enough, when I look at the Relative Stat Values tab of Rawr, I find that the highest valued stat for me now is agility, very slightly ahead of stamina (only by a fraction of a point). Expertise is valued quite a bit less than stam, Defense is worth a lot less and Dodge and parry are valued even lower than that. I guess because agility increases so many things for a tank that at this gear level it actually scales away a bit. I noticed several warriors in top end guilds using agility gems in their red sockets recently as well. Something worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryl View Post
    With all the dumbing down that Blizzard has done to the information stream, does Agility really give dodge to warriors when it doesn't say it on the stat window mouseover? We were just talking about this in guild tonight.
    It does. Instead of talking, should've just asked a sham or DK to buff you with agi and see your Armor go up
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Check out the article I've linked below from over at maintankadin. He does all the math, works through the whole argument. I think after reading it you will be visiting the AH and buying shifting dreadstones, like I did.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...l-out-of-dodge

Check out the article I've linked below from over at maintankadin. He does all the math, works through the whole argument. I think after reading it you will be visiting the AH and buying shifting dreadstones, like I did.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...l-out-of-dodge
    Agility gets weaker as you gain armor, finally dropping below 100% at around 42.6k armor (fully-buffed).
    Near the end of the post he talks about Agility's contribution becoming less and less as you gain more armor...seems like a curious argument, you'd think it'd just be linear until you reach the armor cap.

I remember skimming over that article a while back. Shows what I get for skimming, because I thought that article applied to pallies only.

In any case, I looked up several top warrior tanks (Kungen from Ensidia, Prot Warrs in a couple of the more progressed guilds on my server) and saw a lot of them matching shifting dreadstones into their red sockets, and thats what I'm doing now. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a bug with Rawr.ProtWarr that would be skewing the value of agility or something.

+ Reply to Thread