+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Sindragosa

Same thing happened to us tonight. I went back in after resetting my debuff, taunted, had aggro and then got marked and ice tombed. That seems like a bug to me, or very bad luck.

We spent 2 nights of wipes until we perfected the 3rd phase strat, but there are many RNG in that fight still, Does any1 know for sure if the ice tomb LOS saves you from the AOE? thats the most annoying part there.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

2 healers can get it, we currently 3 heal me being resto druid (Darde) holy pally and disc priest, we have had times where 2 heals have been given the debuff, half the time raid dmg isnt to high so I'll just WG and regrowth myself and dont normally go over 2-3 stacks personally. Still a toss up between mallaeable goo and this one for most annoying.

What I would like to know is for a 2 tank set up, what are the best classes to tank this, we currently have a Pally as MT for this fight with our War tank to help in P3, how to DK's fair?The problem we have tho is if our DK was to tank, we lose one of our top DPS, and when I go resto, we lose another top DPS

Does this fight have a specific enrage timer? I see DBM running a 10min enrage timer but I see other folks citing no enrage.

Our best attempts on 10man have had us wipe at 12seconds remaining with 12% health remaining. Currently using a 2 tank, 3 healer setup. Working out the kinks currently with about 6 hours grind time for 3 different groups so far.

Didn't see anyone mention this before but Warrior Intervene removes the debuff from Frost Breath. Was having problems on our first attempt getting to the frost tombs during phase 2 b/c the debuff caused me to be running in slow motion. So I used Intervene and nicely, the debuff disappeared.
    Speed doesn't kill, Lag does!

Yes there is an enrage timer at 10 minutes, we've hit it once.

I would love some pointers on the 25 man version. I am a hopeless raid leader that had to take on the position in my guild since our 2 others raid leaders left.

More specifically I would like to know how you deal with the ice tombs in P1 to P2 transition.
    We tried a line of 5 tombs, 4 dps on each one, and invariably someone dies.
    We tried 3 tombs at the bottom of stairs and 2 just above that we rush down. We got two issues: people not getting in place quick enough and people getting caught in the tombs.
    In P3, no strategy anywhere is describing how you divide your dps group between who dps Sindragosa while some dps the tombs. How many dps do you need on the tombs in P3 and on sindragosa at any one time?

Many thanks.

Some 25man pointers - lots of options, but here's what we've found works for us:

- we do 3 at bottom of the stairs and 2 mid way -- everyone else MUST be right at the top (tanks can intervene to help cover the distance, or stay far out and run in after the iceblocks are up) flat part of the stairs, unless you're tanking Sindrag further out that where she lands no one should have a problem achieving this. We have designated postions for three marks along the bottom - to save confusion, the other two have FFA on the "upper" line. We've had some issues with raid marks, so we've taken to just having the RL and no-one with assist - also we've removed the marks for the ranged debuff (as it confuses things in P3)
    - Ranged dps are on the bottom 3, melee on the top 2, but it's everyone's responsibility to make sure none get broken too early and all are approximately equal in health. If you have to break some early, break the back as you can quickly hide behind the front ones, also people need to actively move around the blocks if the aoe is targetted extreme right or left, the less damage you are taking the better as then you can survive the odd too-early-broken-iceblock
    - You can HoT the marked people before they get iceblocked, ensuring that they get back to full hp before they start losing health again.
    - For P3 we have half the melee and half the ranged hiding behind block (alternating right and left of the ranged camp) - if they do not reset their stacks on their designated iceblock, they can use the next but must go back to their designated one immediately, otherwise one "side" gets out of sync. All ranged are on iceblocks whenever they are up, whether they are resetting stacks or not, melee only have to help on the one they are using to reset stacks.
    - Tanking-wise we use alternate iceblocks to reset stacks, basically reset and taunt immediately regardless of the number of stacks on the other tank, this minimises the risk of the OT being tombed and the current tank stacking very very high, we also have had no problems with tanking her from whichever side is closest to our iceblock we've just used (she turns by 180degree very quickly and without moving (or cleaving)), this means we tend to each tank from one side, but if an iceblock goes down too quickly we just adjust.
    - Healers are split between the tombs, ensuring at least one MT healer is always not hiding!
    - You can LoS the pull behind an iceblock, but it seems like a tight-area where it works (ie. you can reset stacks and still get pulled), but I've also not been pulled in while resetting.

Hope this helps.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

If I understood correctly, you raid leader annonces where the first 3 tombed players need to stand (left-middle-center), the other two are FFA middle of stairs.

For phase 3, you have all casters dps, hunters included in tombs duty, whenever there is one, otherwise dps sindragosa. The ranged reset their stacks when need be and are still responsible for destroying the tombs.
    when melee need to reset, it is the only time they help in destroying the tombs.

For phase 3 the placement you use is Left Tombs --- Caster/healers in mid section of boss ---- Right tombs
    Sindragosa is turned 180 degrees every other tombs in case the tank that just reset his stacks is in the opposite tomb location.

1. Front three tombs are always the same marks in the same order - cross -- skull -- square (I personally have a piece of paper taped to the side of my computer screen!)
    2. Yep, but melee must reset every second tomb and must use the one they were assigned to - all melee resetting on one means it dies too fast and the next one dies too slow.
    3. Yep, Sindrag isn't turned every time, but if the tank needs to reset at the "far" iceblock from their tanking position, don't be scared about just running in and taunting and turning her.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Thank you for the advice.

We are now managing the phase 1 to 2 transitions better. We have been attempting the phase 3 and have faced few issues.

Rogues and dps warriors die very quickly, so we moved them to dps the tombs.

Hunters, mages getting one shot by ice tombs: may be because they have high debuff stacks. I dont know how to deal with this beside no dps above 4 stacks?

We also have an issue with healers not managing their debuff (mystic buffet) to reset. We have 3 healers reset while 3 stay in the middle and heal. Unfortunetaly we have had issues with 2 out of the 3 that have to stay and heal get the debuff (Unchained Magic ) and the tank dies.

Any pointers on how you manage healers in phase 3 please? How do you ensure dps casters do not get one shot if tombed?

Thanks again for your valuable input.
    Last edited by psyquest; 03-25-2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: for clarification

Our guild is getting to phase 3 consistently, however once we get there its almost an insta wipe. It seems most of our healers are nailed with unchained magic just before ph3 starts or its not clear by that point causing major problems.

We tried using the melee to be on the tombs full time in ph3 and have the ranged work Sindy down. However most of them are casters, which means they have to stop and take backlash damage along with the buffet.

Also I'm curious if Paladins can Beacon the tank and heal them while standing behind an ice block. It seemed to be working however I cannot confirm, so I was hoping someone knew.

Thanks in advance.
    -Boda
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Here's a picture I used to explain good iceblock positioning for our tries. (Beacon works, though since you have two tanks, swapping it would be needed.)

When ice blocks are properly positioned, healers can have LoS to everyone in the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Thanks for the picture, I like that set up a lot, makes good sense.

One other thing I'm tossing around, are tanks using Frost Resistance gear for this? If so how much, what ball park number?

Whats the best way to handled healer trade offs when they get Unchained Magic?

Again thanks .
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Here's the conclusions I came up with to give to our guild, let me know if you guys see any improvements I could relay.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phase 3 Ideas:

Positioning

All Ranged DPS (minus hunters) are on the blocks since they have a harsher debuff (unchained magic). All Melee DPS (plus hunters) work the boss, stopping attacks at 4 stacks of Chilled to the Bone and resetting Mystic Buffet every other Beacon (Ice Block).

Given the above positioning the melee + hunters should only have to strafe right to reset their Buffet stacks. Healers will have their stacks automatically reset when a new Ice Block is made blocking line of sight.

The only thing I would change from this picture is have the Ranged DPS pile up on the Healers. This way they can DPS the tombs right in front of them and when one is not up they can tag the boss with a few hits. So neither the Healers or Ranged DPS will have to move unless they are the Ice Block target.

As far as dealing with the Unchained Magic debuff itself I think we just need good communication between the healers on who's healing and who's holding back to reset their stacks.

here are some suggestions I have based on my guilds strat (your milage may vary):

1) split your healers in to 2 groups, have the first group clear on the first block, and the other group clear on the second block, from there each group clears every other block (so one group always clears on the head block, the other always on the tail block)
    2)when not clearing debuffs make sure that your ranged and healers are climped up as tightly as possible inbetween the two block drop spots to help prevent accidental chaining of blocks.
    3)DPS should be clearing either on every block or every other, their survial is in their hands mostly, not the healers. if a DPS dies from anything other than slowly ticking down, it's their fault.
    4) DPS should know what stack of their DPS debuff (melee or caster) is dangerous in p3, for me I think anything beyond 3 melee debuffs is very scary in p3 even at like 2 buffets. ranged can get practice for hardmode and watch the unchained CD timer, right before it comes off CD stop casting all together and once it's out resume casting if they do not have the debuff.
    5) healers should be able to stop casting in p3 completely if they get unchained. if you get RNG'd I would even have a back up plan to have some of your hybrids toss out a few heals.
    6) if people suck at avoiding the blistering cold, maybe make a call for everyone to get behind a block right before it's off CD, if that block is in range of getting hit by the explosion make sure that it does not die before the explosion happens (you can LoS both the pull and the explosion).
    7) always have some sort of CD available for the tank for RNG situations, tanks should be rotating their CD's when ever their buffet gets to like 3+
    8) assign specific melee to be killing blocks the entire time, have back ups in case one of these people gets blocked.

also, make sure blocks are NOT in melee range of the boss (meaning melee have to run to go from hitting blocks to hitting the boss), having them that close can screw with LoS and some times you won't clear your debuffs.
    I will probably think of some more later, but for now I hope this helps a bit.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Thanks for the picture, it was really helpful with our encounter of Sindragosa last night.

Thanks for the responses. Will give that a try.

In phase 3 is it possible for a hunter to be far away enough from ice tombs to shoot them while still LoS'ing Sindragosa to drop mystic buffet? Does Sindragosa's height matter, or is it just LoS'ing the middle of her hit box?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenPrime View Post
    Didn't see anyone mention this before but Warrior Intervene removes the debuff from Frost Breath. Was having problems on our first attempt getting to the frost tombs during phase 2 b/c the debuff caused me to be running in slow motion. So I used Intervene and nicely, the debuff disappeared.
    This does in fact work, and I think it's the only way for a warrior to break it. You might be able to pop berserker rage during the cast as it will cause immunity to impairing effects, but I personally, have yet to test this out. Can anyone chime in on this???

+ Reply to Thread