+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Understanding Crit Cap

Understanding Crit Cap

I'm trying to write a quick guide for my guild forums with regards to the "crit cap". Would those of you who know more than me take a minute to go over what I have so far and tell me if I have it right?

First, let's discuss white hits (auto attacking). Whenever you attack a target, there are 7 things that can happen. They are:
    Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Glancing Blow
    Block
    Hit
    Crit.

Here's how these events affect combat:
    1) Regardless of gear and stats, you ALWAYS have a 25% chance for Glancing Blow to occur.
    2) By being behind a boss, you eliminate the chance to block and parry.
    3) By gearing to your hit cap, you eliminate Miss.
    4) By gearing to your expertise cap, you eliminate Dodge.

So, if you think of a hit roll as 1-100:
    1-25 is ALWAYS going to be a glancing blow.
    26-100 is then the rest of the possibilities. With positioning and intelligent gearing, you've eliminated block, parry and dodge. Note that, for white attacks, the hit cap is very high and typically, you only get enough hit rating to cap your yellow attacks. This means that, 26-100 should be all hits, misses and crits.

This 75 point pool is fixed. So this means that, as you get more hit, you should eliminate chance to miss. This leaves more room for hits and crits. In creating more room, you up the mathematical potential to crit. So, for example, if chance to miss was 25% and you find yourself at 10% hit and 50% crit, the 75 points would be divided up into:

a) 25-10 = 15 Chance to miss
    b) 50 Crit
    And finally 75 - (a + b) = 10 Chance to hit

If you had 0% hit gear and 55% crit chance the table would look like this:
    a) 25 = Miss
    b) 55 = Crit.
    The problem here is that (a + b) = 80. Since your total pool is only 75, your extra 5% crit does nothing for you; your effective crit chance is still 50%.

Hopefully, these 2 examples have illustrated how the system works.

Summary: The more hit you have, the higher your mathematical crit cap. Obviously, achieving a high crit cap and simultaneously having high hit rating are somewhat conflicting goals. I almost want to say "it's upto you to find a happy medium" but reality is that, after a point, the value of Crit will decrease and you'll probably want to gear with other, more important stats taking the forefront.

That's what I have so far. I'm going to come back and add a bit for special attacks but I have a lecture to get to >.>The final bunch in italics is the part I'm shaky on and am looking for confirmation on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

there really isn't a whole lot needed when describing what the soft crit cap is, which simply put is when every time a normal swing lands, it crits.
    active variables in determining the crit cap (assuming attacking from behind and soft capped expertise for dodges):

glancing blows: 24%
    miss chance: 24%-hit chance

assuming soft hit capped at 8% it would look like this:
    100-24-16=60%
    meaning the soft crit cap is 60%

being at the crit cap just means that gaining extra crit past that point isn't as valuable unless you are also getting more hit.
    Last edited by Thegreatme; 02-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

i couldve swore that glancing was 25% and miss was 27% before hit.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I could be wrong with my numbers, I was under the impression that they were both around 24%. either way, the math is basically the same.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

or i could be wrong with mine. also, you didn't mention crit depression which is another 4.8% iirc.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/200...at-in-cap.html I think somewhere in there he lists the number for white hits, not sure about the whole dual-wield thing but that should get you started.

From what i understand from EJ (http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t37462-w...6/#post1490186)

its like this assuming you attack a lvl 83 boss from behind...

Base(100) + crit depression(4,8%) - Glancing Blows(24 % if weapon skillcapped against a lvl 83 boss) - dodge chance(6,5 % - your current expertise %) - chance to miss(DW: 27 % - your hitrating %)

So given you are dualwielding, soft expertisecapped(6,5 %) and soft hitcapped(8 %) your crit cap is:

100 + 4,8 - 24 - (6,5 - 6,5) - (27 - 8) = 61,8 % which is the amount of crit needed to ensure all of your offhand hits will be crits, misses or glances.

So by that it also follows that the less your chance is to miss the higher the cap wil be to crit.
    Last edited by Erkebrand; 02-04-2010 at 06:07 AM.

You might also mention that the amount of hit for main hand and off hand will be different. 8% compared to 24%, hence giving each hand a different crit cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Erkebrand View Post
    From what i understand from EJ (http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t37462-w...6/#post1490186)

its like this assuming you attack a lvl 83 boss from behind...

Base(100) + crit depression(4,8%) - Glancing Blows(24 % if weapon skillcapped against a lvl 83 boss) - dodge chance(6,5 % - your current expertise %) - chance to miss(DW: 27 % - your hitrating %)

So given you are dualwielding, soft expertisecapped(6,5 %) and soft hitcapped(8 %) your crit cap is:

100 + 4,8 - 24 - (6,5 - 6,5) - (27 - 8) = 61,8 % which is the amount of crit needed to ensure all of your offhand hits will be crits, misses or glances.

So by that it also follows that the less your chance is to miss the higher the cap wil be to crit.
    Hey, just want to point out that you should be subtracting the crit depression as it effectively should be decreasing your critical strikes against boss level mobs by 4.8%, not increasing it. That would give you 57% for your offhand and 76% in your main hand assuming 8% hit rating.

the 8% for main hand is special attacks only, not normal white swings while dual wielding.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Destruyen View Post
    the 8% for main hand is special attacks only, not normal white swings while dual wielding.
    Damn, I just did a little research before answering, I can't believe I was running on that assumption for so long, thanks for that info. For some reason I thought no only was there a damage penalty do the offhand, but a hit penalty. I didn't realize the hit penalty was to both hands white attacks. I feel like a dumb ass since most of the time I'm band on about this stuff. Guess that means that once your crit is past the cap, hit ratings SEP raises more then I originally estimated since it's effecting 2 hands instead of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronninn View Post
    Hey, just want to point out that you should be subtracting the crit depression as it effectively should be decreasing your critical strikes against boss level mobs by 4.8%, not increasing it. That would give you 57% for your offhand and 76% in your main hand assuming 8% hit rating.
    Hmm....been reading a bit more and i find places that support both adding and subtracting the crit depression/crit conversion(4,8 % crits converted to hits). Landsoul even submitted a post on the wow-forums to get a clarification from the "blues". http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...24987878&sid=1

Sorry if im just adding to more confusion...

so, what is the crit cap effectively with full raid buffs? 71.2% crit while wielding only one weapon is what I gathered from this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsupply View Post
    so, what is the crit cap effectively with full raid buffs? 71.2% crit while wielding only one weapon is what I gathered from this right?
    assuming 263 hit and 26 expertise as arms yes.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

+ Reply to Thread