+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Valithria Dreamwalker

Beacon doesn't transfer the original heal in its raw amount. It transfers the base heal amount before +% modifiers to the beacon target, and applies any of that target's +% or -% effects separately.

In laymens terms, your 20k HL crit that does say 23k on a kitty will still only do 20k on Valithria. So you're best off healing someone who needs the healing.

So I was right... then I was wrong... then I was right again...

*waits for other shoe to drop*

Honestly I think it's a bit of a silly idea, probably not necessary but perhaps it will make a difference in hard mode.

Something to note however, is that Nurturing Instinct is *not* a standard talent choice for a feral DPS. It's very much a PvP talent, so if you do this then chances are you will have to your cat spec in to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trexokor View Post
    Beacon doesn't transfer the original heal in its raw amount. It transfers the base heal amount before +% modifiers to the beacon target, and applies any of that target's +% or -% effects separately.
    Learn something new everyday. /themoreyouknowrainbow

I found this quite a challenge to single tank on 10 man. As a warrior with Warbringer, I still found myself caught out on occasion. I suspect it's 'meant' to be dual tanked.

I prioritised tanking the Abominations, the Blistering Zombies and the Rot Worms. The Archmages seemed to die fairly fast with DPS on them but they still needed to be pulled off our raid healer.

Is there a mechanic whereby the adds speed up over time or perhaps at set points (I noticed she 'yells' at 75%)? We had significant issues in the later half of the fight with adds stacking up over time that really made the fight more difficult. It may be that the healers weren't quite 'getting' the Portal mechanics yet - but it felt tonight like there's an 'enrage' mechanic at work.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Just a little note to Aleana. The "buffet" effect is not pronounced "boofay" like an all-you-can-eat meal. It's "buff-ett" (rhymes with "bucket"), like "buffeting winds." I kept having visions of Vegas buffets at the Bellagio every time you said that. lol. Cheers!

I, thanks for the guide.
    Does Amplify Magic work on live realm please (10/25) ?

Where is the link to the 25man healer version?

Would be nice to have a quick link to what Ciderhelm suggested.
    Maybe its there and im dumb

It was Lore that did and it's currently rendering!

Thanks Aliena, I lubs you Cider, Spiritus, Lore et all.

You guys are like dbm x grid to the sexymap power

@ teni what makes more sense the boss putting a debuff on raid increasing damage taken in relation to strong winds usually referred to when dealing with turbulence or the ""boofay"" meaning involving feasting on things

Defeated this encounter in 25 last night.
    • You can use all buffs on her, even vigilance. Not sure if all works, but her unit frame shows that buffs, buffing in front of her with greater blessings and raid buffs gives her buffs aswel.
    • Skeletons casts 2 (maybe sometimes 3 not sure yet if it's only 2 always) fireballs, then they start to spam lay waste without stopping. No need to be tanked, burn them as they show up.
    • Suppressors, well when we started to semi-ignore these we actually improved a lot in the fight. Yes they do worst possible debuff to this fight, but doesn't need to be tanked and do no harm to players. We had few times people "finishing" suppressors and some people dying from Skelies, so we started to ignore Suppressors with order to DPS - "whenever you dont have what to do, kill some suppressors"
    • Zombies are not good idea to be tanked. Mark them and let hunter kite (BoF him if mage is up with frostbolts), make melee dps them to 50% and let range finish them.
    • Abominations - there are 2 spots (one on each side) between 2 spawning points - set your tank with back towards wall and you are fine with tanking them there... noone will ever get hit with his frontal cone. About worms - stop all aoe on last 2-3% of abomination, wait for your tank to establish aggro first, we lost several trigger happy retri paladins to worms on first attempts.
    • Mages are most tricky part, because you cannot really decide if they are that big threat or not, we've set them in group with suppressors e.g. kill them when you dont have what to do.

Our kill order: Skelies (Full priority) > Zombie (marked with raid icon, one hunter on each side was waiting to kite, melee helping only up to 50%) > Suppressors > Mages (Not interrupting them if there is no tank in vicinity, or they would melee if not casting) > Abominations (assigned tank is tanking them so whenever dps have free time they would burn these, stoping aoe on last few %)

I can confirm that 7 min marker on 25 man have something with increased spawns, it was still manageable but looked like soft enrage. We wiped twice on 7:30+ overwhelmed, but managed kill @ 6:45
    2 tanks
    9 melee
    8 ranged
    6 healers
    Last edited by Mookey; 02-04-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

Quote Originally Posted by Fayre View Post
    I found this quite a challenge to single tank on 10 man. As a warrior with Warbringer, I still found myself caught out on occasion. I suspect it's 'meant' to be dual tanked.

I prioritised tanking the Abominations, the Blistering Zombies and the Rot Worms. The Archmages seemed to die fairly fast with DPS on them but they still needed to be pulled off our raid healer.

Is there a mechanic whereby the adds speed up over time or perhaps at set points (I noticed she 'yells' at 75%)? We had significant issues in the later half of the fight with adds stacking up over time that really made the fight more difficult. It may be that the healers weren't quite 'getting' the Portal mechanics yet - but it felt tonight like there's an 'enrage' mechanic at work.

This can be single tanked on 10 man, however it is pretty challenging at the end of the fight, where you will spamming all your taunts and ranged aggro grabbing abilities. It also helped to have your healers in a central location where they alwasy returned when they had a chance, most of the time they drew the adds to them, which buys you extra time if they are zombies or abominations. Having a hunter to MD/grab aggro feign helps as well.

As far as the LoH mechanic, if you are going to do this make sure GS is on her if you have it, I landed a 117k crit in 10 man, while not majorly significant considering we had 2 dps D/C and finished the fight as we were getting killed off, it is a perfect example of it may be a small amount but it potentially saved the "kill" versus having to do it all over again.

quick question

great video love tank spot been watching nice the start but this is my first comment was wonder about the (what seems like a focus fram) under the mini map can anyone tell me what addon or setting inside an addon it its thanks very much =)

Both of these guides miss the essential point of the intended strategy that enables you to complete the encounter in ~4 minutes on the 10man or ~5 minutes on the 25man.

You should have 2 healers (ideally 2 paladins, but any healing class will do) that always take the portals. This enables them to keep their stack to continue stacking. Practically, this might seem like a massive waste of time, as these healers will spend more time in the portals than actually healing. Mathematically though, it makes sense. The first stack that you get essentially lasts 5 minutes because you're always refreshing the stack before it expires.

Also, you should mention that you should WAIT to get the last orb till ~5 seconds before the dream ends. This maximizes the time that you have the buff outside the dream. A common mistake in our early attempts was healers would go in, get all the orbs, and just sit there doing nothing for 20 seconds, ticking the buff away for over half its duration.

As soon as your 2 healers get 30-40 stacks, wait until they get out of the dream and pop heroism / guardian spirit / everything. In our kill, this brought the dragon from 80% to full in about 20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    Both of these guides miss the essential point of the intended strategy that enables you to complete the encounter in ~4 minutes on the 10man or ~5 minutes on the 25man.

You should have 2 healers (ideally 2 paladins, but any healing class will do) that always take the portals. This enables them to keep their stack to continue stacking. Practically, this might seem like a massive waste of time, as these healers will spend more time in the portals than actually healing. Mathematically though, it makes sense. The first stack that you get essentially lasts 5 minutes because you're always refreshing the stack before it expires.

Also, you should mention that you should WAIT to get the last orb till ~5 seconds before the dream ends. This maximizes the time that you have the buff outside the dream. A common mistake in our early attempts was healers would go in, get all the orbs, and just sit there doing nothing for 20 seconds, ticking the buff away for over half its duration.

As soon as your 2 healers get 30-40 stacks, wait until they get out of the dream and pop heroism / guardian spirit / everything. In our kill, this brought the dragon from 80% to full in about 20 seconds.
    Portal assignments can be done different ways - you can assign your highest single target HPS classes to take every single one and stack up the buff while other people only take one if mana is low, or you can simply alternate so half your healers take the first set, the other half the second and go from there, or you can just have people take portals if mana is an issue. The most effective way is probably the first one, but this would take some math.

Reading helps! It seemed to yield better results in our alt run, but I'd rather wait for some mathy calculations out before advertising something as a definite strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post

We had two people going in each round of portals in 10 man, myself in every single portal and the raid healers alternating (due to mana issues). There were far too many orbs for us to collect all of them. I was able to get 4-7 per round typically. I just got them as quickly as I could, making extra sure to get as many as I could when the dream state was going to expire (to allow maximum time in a new portal to get a new one).

The orbs can be a little finicky since they are moving and flying around in a 3D plane is harder than 2D. After learning it a little, it's not so difficult.

If you have any paladins in the raid with tier 10 2 piece, have them call for Heroism when they get a good number of stacks and Avenging Wrath and Divine Illumination are both up. With the healing bonuses and heroism, it's a very big jump in healing.

We finished the encounter in about 6 minutes with only me rolling the stack. Ended up with 22.7k HPS at the end. That works out to 8mil or so, so I think I ended up doing the entire thing heal-wise. It's fun to pop off 300k Holy Lights on your raid with 30k glyph bombs and Beacon on Valithria, with buffs up. <_<

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Portal assignments can be done different ways - you can assign your highest single target HPS classes to take every single one and stack up the buff while other people only take one if mana is low, or you can simply alternate so half your healers take the first set, the other half the second and go from there, or you can just have people take portals if mana is an issue. The most effective way is probably the first one, but this would take some math.

Reading helps! It seemed to yield better results in our alt run, but I'd rather wait for some mathy calculations out before advertising something as a definite strategy.
    It shouldn't really require any math to figure out, honestly. With 10 stacks of the buff, you're doubling your healing done. You have about the same amount of time in and out of the portals if you're taking every single one, so 10 stacks is the break point between staying out for a given period and healing the whole time, or going in and out and healing while out. It's very easy to get up to 10 stacks not so far into the fight. Alternating healers is a good way to make sure your raid healers aren't running out of mana though.

Our guild succeeded last night on this fights after a couple of attempts getting the feel for the fight. 2 holy paly, 2 resto druid, 2 holy priest using Guardian Spirit spec and glyph. Something we noticed and wonder if others have had similar problems:

Upon pull I opened with GS to amplify Healing teams initial heal spam before raid started to take much damage. We had a rotation for Nightmare Portals sending both paladins in each spawn and rotating priest/druid team *one healer for each side and to continue spam on dragon* Upon exit when we attempted to chain GS we noticed that the second GS was uncastable and seemed that other than the inital pull GS was unusable upon Valithria other than upon portal exit phase. How we ended up handling this was whichever priest went into the portal, the other upon exiting would use GS allowing the buffed priest to immediatly start spamming using their buff to their fullest. Later in the fight when dps was being overwhelmed the buffed priest would use Hymn to generate random heals which some did indeed heal Valithria.

Normally we run with only one holy priest but for this fight we figured that chaining GS would be VERY effective... Did anyone else try this strat, and if so encountered the same problem?

Another thing of passing note, when clicking on the green clouds, seemed that you had to be practically on top of it when it burst or you didnt get the buff.

On a side note: Aliena, the two guilds I post strats and insite for send their appreciation in particular to you
    Ciderhelm, Spiritus, and Lore, and the community at Tankspot.com: <Envy> and <World Wide Pain> adore you and appreciate all the work you guys do. Without all the gems of info and wonderful vids I would be quickly overwhelmed when tells start rolling in...
    Last edited by Glimmerglam; 02-04-2010 at 11:53 AM.

As a disc priest by trade i can only see myself being total fail sauce for this encounter as i'm MT healer and usually the last to fall. The best i can see is to be that lone healer holding the fort while others take the portals. Being disc by trade i don't see a reason to respec holy (to which i'm completely not geared for holy) just for a single encounter. My single target buffs only only benificial to myself and my pain suppression dropping it on him/her to reduce the amount of damage being knocked back off due to raid damage, and power infusion on a healer stomping out of the portals stacked full of debuff ready to heal. So agan i can only see my roll as waving to the other healers as they take potals.

Thanks once again for the great guides Aliena and Lore

Relating to the following:

I have a couple of questions about the timing of taking the portals and getting buffed inside. We had our 10 man run last night and very fun boss. On our successful attempt out holy pally who was taking every portal had 25 stacks of emerald vigor at the end. So obviously he had managed to keep his buff from one portal phase to the next at least 2 or 3 times before that. With everything going on and being happy with the success we didn't really confirm durations and timings of portals/buffs. Wowwiki states that emerald vigor has a 35 second duration. So in order to keep stacking the buff I am assuming you need to receive your previous stack preferably just before you are transported out of the emerald dream and get in pretty quick on the following portal to grab the next buff. Is this 35 second duration right? Is there much margin for error in trying to refresh your buff? In the pre release guide Spiritus said there was very little margin of error, but I'm just wondering with the live version how it is. For our 25 man it would be nice to be able to say to our healers ways of improving their chances of build the stacks of the buff up high.
    Last edited by Xlight; 02-06-2010 at 04:51 AM.

You must time your last cloud to pop right before the end of your 15sec jaunt into the dreamstate.

From my experience on this fight, if you leave the dreamstate with 30sec left on EV, then you will have approx 5sec after clicking the next portal to refresh your stack. Therefore, on a perfectly executed, zero lag rotation, you can have up to 10sec to refresh. Most folks, however, will have between 5-7seconds.

I highly suggest only 4 healers to take the portal on 25man and have each take a 90deg wedge of the circle. That way you don't have to worry about someone not refreshing their stack due to being .5sec behind another healer. The clouds will respawn once while your inside the portal, so just eating the orbs in your fourth of the room will lead to plenty of stacks.

If any of your healers are having lag issues, then keep them on the raid. Graphical lag + this mechanic = dropped stacks.

+ Reply to Thread