+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dk tanks and expertise/ armour stacking in 3.3

dk tanks and expertise/ armour stacking in 3.3

i am a blood tank and have been doing just fine in terms of itemization, however now that i have my frost badge cloak and trink i'm unsure where to go now.

i think that next i will get the frost badge belt, but after that i really have no clue.

i think the T10 4 set bonus is good but is it really worth wasting the frosts on the first 3 pieces (the 2set is shit btw) atm? i need the non-set frost badge chest or something like it for the expertise but i lose 1.19% dodge for it. previous to patch 3.3.2 i thought it was a logical buy but now the t10 chest has got its armour bonus buffed making it is terms of survivability just as good if not better.

is there another piece somewhere that has expertise???

and whats with the rest of the gear? the stats are all over the place, it seems like blizz is makin us stack armour over dodge/ parry which would be fine only our main threat move 'rune strike' relies on us dodging and parrying so to me it seems like they are making us almost an OT or a sponge??

anyways if u guys have any suggestions or insights into the world of blizz's crazy thinking just let me know, cause i am confussed as all hell atm

Quote Originally Posted by lorth View Post
    ...and whats with the rest of the gear? the stats are all over the place, it seems like blizz is makin us stack armour over dodge/ parry which would be fine only our main threat move 'rune strike' relies on us dodging and parrying so to me it seems like they are making us almost an OT or a sponge??
    Because armor is yummy? Rune Strike has had its threat upped considerably so i'm still doing more threat in icc with the dodge debuff than i used to with higher avoidance gear.
    I'm waiting for the new, modified T10 chest/gloves (the ilvl264 ones) to re-plan my gear. While the lack of defense on them is a major problem for my warrior, my blood dk has ample extra defense that i can forego some.

The 10man deathbringer axe has all the expertise you need when combined with cataclysm chest (badges).

That being said, I've picked up a diffirent weapon so I opted to use my expertise bracers from togc, cata chest, and use a few expertise/stam gems to get the soft cap.

Getting expertise is pretty tough without the badge chest. There are boots off Valithria 25 with expertise which won't cost you any armor, but the t10 legs as well as the gloves (off princes i believe) are going to cost you tasty bonus armor. I'm not math-crafty enough to suggest that expertise is or isn't important on various icc encounters, but I always aim to soft cap if it doesn't cost me too much EH.

I've been thinking the same thing. It looks like as you upgrade and switch to the newer gear that you're going to run into issues with expertise. While there are some expertise weapons, that definitely will constrain you. If you're Frost it is also tough since it appears the only weapons with expertise are the fast 1H tank weapons from the Lich King and Professor Putricide. Because of that and the fact that I'm running both Blood and Frost tank specs, I've been trying to figure out how I will get the expertise I need either way.

In addition to weapons, you can get expertise off the T10 legs, Cataclysmic Chestguard, Grinning Skull Greatboots, and the Veincrusher Gauntlets.

Due to the bonus armor on the T10 gloves, I really don't see taking the Veincrusher Gaunlets. If you rule that out, you're stuck with the T10 legs, Cataclysmic Chestguard, and the Grinning Skull Greatboots. If you take all three of those, it should be around 25 expertise plus 5-6 from talents will give you 30-31 which is nice. If you take the Cataclysmic Chestguard, you could still use the T10 helm to get the 4 piece bonus.

If you don't have the Cataclysmic Chestguard though you will be around 15 expertise from the T10 legs and Greatboots plus the 5-6 from talents. It will leave you short 5-10 if you want to hit 26-30.

As mentioned you can gem for it. You could also get the glove enchant or eat expertise food.

It will definitely be a challenge to keep up your expertise depending on your spec and weapon choices. On the other hand, it seems like hit will be easy to get now.

The best bet for expertise if you are gunnin for t10 or not is probably going to be boots, weapon, and then gems/food to soft-cap.

In order to not loose armor in the trade from offset to t10 you need to take the helm, chest, gloves, and shoulders so that you can keep pillars of might.

That being said, i'm still passing tokens to my dps (imho vanq tokens for dps is going to help the raid a hell of a lot more than my side-grade 264 t10 with situationally useful cd) and plan on using Cataclysm Chest, Boots, and gems to make the diffirence. At the moment i'm using the 258 bracers from togc, cata chest, and gemming to stay afloat at 26 expertise.

The Pillars of Might do look good. It just seems like that expertise on the T10 legs will really help a lot. I think it will be difficult to keep your expertise up. The emblem chest and T10 legs are both good there. As you say though, you'll be giving up something.

You've stacked most of the bonus armor items based on your armory profile. I'm curious what is your armor at unbuffed?

If you go with Pillars of Might, pick up the boots from Valithra 25man. That with Veteran of the Third War should give you right around 11/12 expertise. Expertise food on top of that bumps it up to 16/17 expertise and if you still feel like you need more expertise, use either the Axe from 10m Saurfang or the Expertise sword from The Lich King

Quote Originally Posted by Küren View Post
    You've stacked most of the bonus armor items based on your armory profile. I'm curious what is your armor at unbuffed?
    About 36-7k in a balance set, 41k if i'm fully stacking armor (ie. 2 armor trinkets).

Sadly I almost never use the uber-armor set. Sindragosa has me in the stam set, so does valithria, princes, putricide and queen I use a half and half set, same for rot-face. About the only time I get away with being a complete armor whore is on festergut. =/

+ Reply to Thread