+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gems.

Gems.

Is it better to get all the +30 stam gems I can get?

I like to get socket bonuses, but it seems these days you suck at tanking if you don't have 40k unbuffed health.

So, what gems for what slot?

There are gems other than stamina gems?

For the most part, the vast majority of your gems should be +30 stamina gems. There are a few exceptions to this however.

Exception 1: If you aren't a Feral Druid, you must remain defense capped. That's 535 defense for heroics (Level+2) and 540 for raid bosses (Level+3). If you aren't defense capped, you would need to gem some to compensate up to the cap. Generally you would use either 20 defense rating gems (Thick King's Amber) or 10 defense rating and 15 stamina (Enduring Eye of Zul). You would like to use yellow sockets if you have to gem for defense in order to get socket bonuses.

Exception 2: Meta gem requirement. You can't meet the requirement for your meta gem with only blue gems. Tanks typically will use Austere Earthsiege Diamond (32 stamina and 2% armor, requires 2 blue and 1 red). You want to make sure your meta requirment is always met. This is generally done with an Guardian's Dreadstone (10 expertise and 15 stamina) in a red socket of a piece of gear with 9 stamina or more as a socket bonus. A Defender's Dreadstone (10 parry rating and 15 stamina) can be used if you find yourself too high on expertise however that is unlikely.

As a sort of general rule, if the socket bonus is 9 stamina or higher, it may be worth while just getting it, however the vast majority of the time gemming just pure stamina (Solid Majestic Zircon) will be serve you better.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Exception 2: Meta gem requirement. You can't meet the requirement for your meta gem with only blue gems. Tanks typically will use Austere Earthsiege Diamond (32 stamina and 2% armor, requires 2 blue and 1 red). You want to make sure your meta requirment is always met. This is generally done with an Guardian's Dreadstone (10 expertise and 15 stamina) in a red socket of a piece of gear with 9 stamina or more as a socket bonus. A Defender's Dreadstone (10 parry rating and 15 stamina) can be used if you find yourself too high on expertise however that is unlikely.
    Actually, most tanks use Regal Dreadstone to fulfill meta requirements (+10 dodge +15 stamina)
    Expertise is not something you should gem for in your primary tanking set, leave it for threat set.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

The general rule is all stamina unless the socket bonus is 9 stam or higher while meeting the meta, for red gems to reach the big stamina bonus or meta go with 15 stam 10 agility or dodge aglity is usually going to be more useful but many people like to get the most out of their "item budget" and for yellows 15 stam 10 defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Crommi View Post
    Actually, most tanks use Regal Dreadstone to fulfill meta requirements (+10 dodge +15 stamina)
    Expertise is not something you should gem for in your primary tanking set, leave it for threat set.
    Depends what class tank you are. DK's need all the expertise they can get.

I'm lucky enough to meet all hit, expertise and def caps purely through gear so I gem stam in every slot with a Guardian's Dreadstone for meta (even in my Cataclysmic Chestguard I've ignored the socket bonus and gone all stam). If you are lacking any stats then gem for them (hit expertise defense), e-peen stam isn't everything.

I would much rather drop an expertise/stam gem in my main set instead of a dodge/stam if I was under the expertise soft cap.

Nice thread, new direction

What gems should a DPS warrior go for? I dual spec arms and fury, and I've been told each should go for specific yet different gems.

Arms should go for Crit? Hit? +ATK?

What about fury?

I'm about to complete my full set of Wrynn's armor and was wondering what gems I should be looking to acquire.

Thanks.

You should probably read through some of the DPS threads, this one is aimed at tanking gems.

+ Reply to Thread