+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a good deal??? [new desktop]

Is this a good deal??? [new desktop]

I currently play on a laptop, is not the best way to raid on 25mans ... and not even to play some of the new games, so i decided to build a desktop, what i don't know is about the price, is it a good deal? or could i get something better for that price?

I'll try to play mostly WoW and Crysis, FarCry2, RE5 and stuff like that

Thanks in advance
    Arklay of Blackhand

Well... I'll go part by part.

Monitor - HUGE deal, assuming it was new. Unfortunately it is refurbished. There are several computer parts that I refuse to by refurbished, monitors being one of them.
    Mouse - Definitely on the expensive side, but it IS a Microsoft input device, which are known to be overpriced.
    Keyboard - Overpriced again, but again, a Microsoft device.
    DVD Drive - Seems a tad overpriced, but if it is, not by much.
    Case - Surprised to see a Cooler Master case that is that expensive. I personally wouldn't spend over $75 on a case, but if you are one of those people that need maximum "cool" factor, then go ahead.
    Hard Drive - Fine. Except I personally prefer Seagate or Western Digital, but each to their own.
    Power Supply - Yeah... you don't need 850 watts. 550 watts should be fine, and it'll save you some money.
    Memory - This is the only part that seems WAY overpriced, especially for DDR2 memory. I got 4gb (4x1gb) Dual Channel memory from Kingston for $85 about 8 months ago. The fact that your getting 4gb DDR2 for $100 seems kind weird, but then again memory prices have been known to fluctuate quite a bit in the past. Furthermore, why not just get DDR3?
    Fan - Not sure why you are getting a 2nd CPU fan unless you plan on overclocking...
    Video Card - Seems fine to me, except I don't like the design on the card's cooling fan. But again, just my preference.
    M/B, CPU - HATE Biostar boards with a passion, but thats just me. The processor is fine though.

All in all, I built a very similar computer to this one 8 months ago (exact same processor actually) for $988. The only difference is you list 8gb of memory, while I only bought 4gb. Also, the video card you listed there wasn't released at the time I bought my computer, so I have a Radeon HD 4870, however, when I bought my video card it was only $10 less than the card you have listed there. I guess my biggest question is why you decided not to go with DDR3 memory. If your going to spend $1200 on something, you should at least try to make it as current as possible.

So I guess to answer you question: Yes you can get something more with that amount of money. I look at it a little differently though, cut out what you realistically won't need.
    Last edited by Helgi; 02-02-2010 at 09:54 AM.

you may want your mouse and keyboard to semi match as you have there
    but id defiantely recommend http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16826104191
    the logitech G5 mouse

5 buttons and a scroll wheel, quick button so adjust your mouse movement speed
    a wieght cartridge for a lighter or heavier feel
    overall a great mouse for the price i
    the only place ive been able to find it recently though is best buy
    at a decent $60
    and with it being a local retailer for most its much easier to return if you happen to not like the mouse

thanks a lot for the advice, i'll be checking the options
    Arklay of Blackhand

i went to newegg to to check prices, but i found that a lot of stuff has the ''-Retail'' label ... does it mean is like refurbished?
    Arklay of Blackhand

In Canada, as soon as you see TigerDirect it's pretty much guaranteed you can save money buying elsewhere (though they do often have some pretty sweet deals on single pieces.) Dunno what they're like in the US.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

A friend of mine had a lot of trouble with TigerDirect in the states. When he was trying to upgrade his rig, they took almost a month to ship his parts and when he eventually got them most were damaged and they refused to reimburse him for it. We usually buy from Newegg now or troll some local shops for discounts.

+ Reply to Thread