+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for some pointers

Looking for some pointers

Well I finally got my pally up to 80 and started to get geared up. Currently do not raid, but wouldn't mind looking at it in the near future, so heroics are what I'm going off for now.
    I know there is still a few things to get, like ToC trinket to replace Seal of the Pantheon and possibly H ToC ring to replace EoV ring

Basically I've just about run out of gear to buy with my triumph badges and I'll be getting the EoF tanking cloak later today. I'm contemplating getting some Pillars of Might crafted. Would these be worth it? I see a big gain in strength and stamina, but the loss of a lot of defense and some BV are my main concerns.
    How valuable is the T9 2-set bonus (to me it seems very good)? If I replaced my pants I would most likely replace my chest with the T9 item to keep my 2 set bonus. Would it be more worthwhile to get something else crafted, like these?

Thanks greatly for any suggestions.

Last but not least: Armory Link.

One thing to realize about the two items you are thinking about getting is that they have increased armor. Higher than other items of similar level so not only would you be getting strength and stamina but the bonus of effective health that armor gives you. Currently you are well above the amount of defense needed to tank heroics(535) and raids(540) so losing a little defense on gear that are such huge upgrades is well worth it.

As far as paladin set bonus goes it is definitely worth pursuing. The legs seem mighty expensive to craft unless you have like 5 alts grinding Frost Emblems each week to get those Primordial Saronites. It might just be easier to pursue the Paladin Tier legs instead. The cloak is a no brainer though. It was the first thing I got with my Frost Emblems on my paladin.

Thanks for the reply Dwarven. Yeah as far as I'm aware the armour of the pants alone is nearly a 2% damage reduction (a 2nd devotion aura). I know the strength will help my threat immensely if I also factor in that I'll have the extra 17 strength from the T9 chest to maintain that 2 set bonus. My rather high defense will diminish completely if I replace my pants, trinket and ring. Simply unequiping my pants and trinket give me 538 defense.
    I have the gold to buy the saronites and have the titansteels in my bank, I was tempted to get the ICC boots made for my resto shaman but decided to give my pally something.

Thanks for the input mate, appreciate it

A quick tip, 538 defense is all you need to tank raids if you have the pvp shoulder enchant, because the 15 resilience actually pushes you up just over the uncrittable mark.

I have the pillars of might. From my understanding, they are currently BiS for EH, and probably won't be replaced until Cataclysm.

Run this in game to see if you are uncrittable against raid bosses between defense and resilience:

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(5.6-((GetCombatRatingBonus(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL))*.04+GetC ombatRatingBonus(CR_CRIT_TAKEN_MELEE)),1,0.5,0)

if the number it spits out is 0 or under then you're golden.

Edit to add: I don't know why it's putting a space between the C and the o in GetCombatRatingBonus toward the end. In the edit box, there is no space, and I can't seem to do anything to get rid of it, so if you copy paste that into your chat, make sure to get rid of the space
    Last edited by Irons; 02-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread