+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a little advice with Offtanking and a little critique would help too.

Need a little advice with Offtanking and a little critique would help too.

Hello.

After getting my Prot Warrior to 80 a few weeks ago I started tanking heroics and have been, in my own opinion, doing fairly well. I rarely cause wipes and have gotten myself pretty well geared. Now I'm ready to jump into the raiding game, however, being such a new tank I figure I'll be stuck offtanking for a while. Something that has been slightly bugging me for a while is, when tanking trash, what should I be doing? Just picking up whatever random mob I can get a hold of?

Also, I'd like a little critique on my warrior's spec/gear/gems/etc.
    Armory is here:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...=Eld%C3%A4rwen

Thanks in advance.

Well if u want to Start doing MT roles i would say get Blacksmithing to 400( 2 sockets) and take up Jewelcrafting for the Gems ( 3 +51 Sta Gems)

Most the time ppl like tanks that have more HP...

By looking at your Armory i would get away from ALL Resilience gear....... u should Max your Shield Specialization take from your Arms talnet.....But i dont know much about Warriors

The resilience is from the shoulder enchant.

I have the arms talents for extra threat. I have no problems with rage, so shield spec isn't really necessary.

OTing on trashes depends on your raid setup. With pally AoE tanking you can just put demo shout, thunderclap and shockwave the pack. Maybe taunt one mob from the other tank.

When the 3.2.2 patch will hit live, you will probably want to change some glyphs. Devastate is a must , even at this moment (I think I'd use that one instead of Heroic Strike). Then remove Imp. Revenge from your build (with your gear Imp. Revenge should be minimal dps increase till 3.2.2, after that it will be probably useless, as Revenge does not scale as good as Devastate), and you'll probably stop using Revenge at all (there is a thread about Revenge). Two points could be used in Improved Disciplines (with Glyph of Shield Wall in place of Glyph of Revenge) so you'll have a nice 2min CD. You can scrap Glyph of Blocking too ( as it's benefits are minimal in current content) and put Glyph of Taunt (for some taunt sensitive fights) for example.

As for minor glyphs: Thunderclap and Bloodrage or Charge should be in empty slots.

Enchants: 275hp on chest is current max value, not 200. Threat on gloves can be replaced too, with some EH oriented enchant: 18stam, or +240 LW patch (from TBC). Blade Ward isn't the most popular enchant for many reasons afaik, for most warriors it's a toss up between Moongoose (TBC) and Blood Draining. Gemming for hit isn't the best thing and you're loosing too many stamina for getting that bonus. Read up here:
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ointers-please

As for professions, well, your choice is ok, both Mining and Blacksmithing are good tanking professions, but you need to level them up to get bonuses (stamina from mining and sockets from bs) Change from mining to JC isn't needed for a tank.

Last tip: read Vene's blog .
    http://tankingtips.com
    Last edited by Vegelus; 01-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.

The concept of OT is outdated and pretty much false. The OT needs as much threat or survivability as the MT. It's more like the Main Tank team these days. So if you want to get into the scene, start thinking like an MT. The only difference that would put aside the "MT" would be his experience in deciding & timing pulls, handing out assignments etc.

If by tanking you mean ICC, while your gear is adequate for icc10, i'd still advise you to gear up more. The offset ilvl 245 helm & shoulders for example. The crafted bracers are well worth the material costs, especially considering you're wearing ilvl 213 ones. I'm guessing you got yourself a bunch of frost emblems while farming those tokens too, your first purchase should be the cloak, followed by the belt. Otherwise you look fine. I'm helping a friend gear up for our raids and we've set 38K unbuffed hp and 28K armor as targets. As has been said, maxing out your professions will also help a bunch.

As i said, your gear looks marginally good enough, but for raiding, you might want to stock up a bit on extra buffs. Indestructible Potions for hardhitting fights like marrowgarr, a good stack of flasks, specialized food, and you might want to change your glyphs a bit too, blocking, last stand, shield wall and taunt (a bunch of those so you can change as the fight requires). Most important of all, read up on the fights, watch the movies. There's nothing worse than a tank who doesnt know the fight

Have fun

Thanks for the replys. I'm working on my professions at the moment. Kind of dropped them when I started leveling with dungeons when 3.3 came out.

+ Reply to Thread