+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RS Macro, Good Idea?

RS Macro, Good Idea?

Hey all, I've been having a discussion with one of my friends over the validity of macroing RS instead of using it manually. Since the priority for using RS is almost always on top (with the exception of using IF or AMS on occasion) it seems like it could be a good idea. But seeing as how the goal is to play the best we can, should RS be macroed to the other offensive abilities so it will be used as soon as it's ready?

I'm fairly sure most DK tanks here will tell you that they macro their abilities to use it when it's available. As you said, you always want to use it when it is up. Where being a good player comes in is that you will want to keep runic power in reserve and not spend it too quickly. I like to not use any abilities until I have over 60 RP.

I am a DK Tank. you should definitly use those macros. It's a huge pain in the ass to hit the RS key before every single one of your autohits. If you think you just need to press more buttons, use it without a macro ;-)

Similar to macro'ing heroic strike into all your other abilities; macro'ing in RS can lead to resource starvation at critical junctures. Although I know more DK's do it then warriors, possibly because RP isn't used for all attacks like rage is for a warrior.

I prefer to retain the control of using it naturally. Similar to comparing an automatic transmission vs. a manual. A manual can get you better gas mileage but it's not as easy to drive, economically or otherwise.

Best advice? Try it in a few heroics. See if you like it.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

I suspect for both DKs and Warriors the following is likely the best "manageable" route:
    First, identify your income of Rage/RP versus how many abilities you use in that time.
    Then, macro Rune Strike (or Heroic Strike) to as many abilities so that you still don't "break even" or "starvate", but you got some good output.
    Lastly, use the remaining resource manually, on more strikes.

This way for me as a DK I got a solid automated output of RSes going while I can choose to either reserve or dump the remaining RP into more RS. Specifically I have it macroed to Scourge Strike and Death Strike and Death Coil (I use that when I hit 100 RP), but not to Icy Touch, Plague Strike or Blood Strike.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

yes, do it; RS alone wont eat all your RP, so you wont be out for IF or AMS just by macroing it. The only time that can happen is at pull, so if you really need IF or AMS right after the pull, well dont put it on IT and PS (or use some out of combat RP generation like the horn and DnD to generate some RP before the pull).
    Other than that, you will have more RP than you can use for RS, so it's with the others RP's using abilities that you will have to manage your RP; i.e. if you are unholy/frost dont use DC under 80 RP (72 as frost with the glyph) so even if you RS just at the same time, you still have 20RP to use on IF/AMS; if you are blood, you also have to keep RP at 25+ before you use DS so dont use DC under 85 (or more) (you may loose a few RP by doing that, but the threat done by DC as blood isnt great anyway, so it's not a big loose; less than what you will loose if you arent at 25 RP for DS).

RS is your strongest threat ability; it should be used as soon as it's up.

If you have even half decent reaction speed you will never miss an RS while manually hitting it.
    If you are lazy and don't worry about micro managing every resources you should macro it.

It's really personal preference. I manually hit it myself.

^^ What Edge said.

The message though is Feanorr's point. RS alone will not starve you the way a Warrior spamming HS could in certain situations. RS is generally your number one RP spend, first priority but even without any tools to generate RP the only way you will starve yourself out of IBF/AMS is if you use your dump too much.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

^^ What they said.

Also a lot of it depends on your spec. One of my specs is a DW Frost spec which does not have the talent that makes my Mind Freeze RP free, so on fights on which I need interrupts, I like to micro manage my RS and FS so I always have the necessary RP to Freeze at any given time. Do what's most comfortable to you, but chances are if you practice it, you can unmacro it and still get every RS proc that comes up.

They're a tool to learn the playstyle part by part.
    Macro it, but put it on your bars as well. Once you get the reflex of your Rune usage, try learning to press RS in time. After that simply remove the macros
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

On my warrior, I mapped Heroic Strike to mousewheel up. It lets me do it manually without it bein as much of a pain--just keep scrolling up as long as I want Heroic Strike.

Couldn't you do the same for rune strike?

I think that would be a nice compromise between manual and automatic.

The easiest way to do it is to put it on a modifier.
    ex: when you hold shift and click X you cast RS as well.

That way you can stop it if you get rage starved.
    Er..runic power.

However you slice it, it all comes down to playstyle/what you want out of your toon. Macro'ing RS to your main strikes (HS/BS/OB/DS) is a good idea, imho. This gives a little bit of an automatic feel to the use of RS and can eat up some RP, but it allows for an increased amount of threat per second. This also allows for some lapse in player reaction time (especially if you are a clicker like me).

Now, if you keybind, binding RS to a key (or even better Mouse Wheel up/down) is easier on RP and will take some of the automatic feel out of RS usage. This will allow you to CHOOSE to use RS or not, meaning you can use your RP for other things like IBF/AMS/FS/DC. You may suffer some tps loss or none at all.

Personally, I macro RS to my main strikes, being a frost tank those would be BS and OB. I have never ran into RP problems, but I tend to be more proactive with my defensive CDs as opposed to reactive, but that is for a different thread. It all comes down to playstyle. Certainly macro'ing RS provides for better tps, at the cost of possible RP starvation. Keybinding/clicking RS seperately may or may not provide less tps, but you manage your resources more effeciently.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
    The easiest way to do it is to put it on a modifier.
    ex: when you hold shift and click X you cast RS as well.

That way you can stop it if you get rage starved.
    Er..runic power.
    This is an interesting concept, one that I'd like to explore.

I'm not an expert on macros by any means, but I worked this up in Fitzcairn's Macro Explain-O-Matic. I'd test it now but I'm at work and not near my copy of WOW.

#showtooltip Blood Strike
    /script UIErrorsFrame:UnregisterEvent("UI_ERROR_MESSAGE");
    /cast [nomodifier] Blood Strike; [modifier:ctrl] Blood Strike, !Rune Strike
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear(); UIErrorsFrame:Show()

Could anyone with more macro expertise than I let me know if that looks like it would work? The macro explainer gets lost after the modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutfang View Post
    /cast [nomodifier] Blood Strike; [modifier:ctrl] Blood Strike, !Rune Strike
    I don't think that line will work the way you want. The way that reads is:

If I don't use a modifier, do a blood strike. If I press ctrl, do a blood strike. Else, do a rune strike.

This means if you press no modifiers, or ctrl, it blood strikes. If you press some other modifier like shift or alt, it does a rune strike, but doesn't blood strike.

I'd suggest something like this:

/cast blood strike
    /cast [modifier:shift] rune strike

If you hold shift, it does a rune strike with your blood strike. You could instead use [nomodifier:shift] if you want it to not rune strike if you are holding shift.

Side note to anyone about to say it should be "!rune strike":

You don't need "!rune strike". It doesn't toggle on and off. Honest.
    Last edited by Bashal; 02-01-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Also, in addition, if you don't want to have to hold the button down. (like me, because I'm lazy)
    I have different macros on different action bars.
    (ex: Cast HS everytime i hit something. or Cast HS only when Revenge procs, or cast cleave everytime i hit something--etc.)
    And then I bound the "change action bar button to like Y,H, or the extra buttons on my mouse.
    It's made my life pretty simple. (but it was kind of a bitch to set up)

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    Similar to macro'ing heroic strike into all your other abilities; macro'ing in RS can lead to resource starvation at critical junctures. Although I know more DK's do it then warriors, possibly because RP isn't used for all attacks like rage is for a warrior.

I prefer to retain the control of using it naturally. Similar to comparing an automatic transmission vs. a manual. A manual can get you better gas mileage but it's not as easy to drive, economically or otherwise.

Best advice? Try it in a few heroics. See if you like it.
    There are two key differences between RP and rage, however. Rage is generated by autoattacks which are not heroic strikes, meaning you're cutting into your rage income as well as spending what you have available. An autoattack for a deathknight does not influence RP at all. Secondly, Heroic Strike is not the most rage-efficient resource use; it's time-efficient, as it does not consume a GCD, but it should only be used when it would not consume another alternative. By contrast, Rune Strike is the most RP-efficient threat a deathknight will have. The only case where a better use arguably exists is for IBF or AMS - and in case of a real emergency, there's blood tap (or use a quick GCD skill).

-Splug

You can do both... for visual and practical purposes I have RS on my main bar underneath my hud (so I can see that it is up and not used). I also have it macroed to Heart Strike and Death strike. By having it macroed and on my bars I can chose to hit it sooner than I would if only waiting for HS or DS.. or I can just wait till I am using one of those abilities... as a side not I will replace the DS/RS macro with just DS if I feel I am blowing to much RP on RS.

I also might try Bashal's Macro but with HS as I do not even have BS on my bars. (being blood spec)

I'd suggest something like this:

/cast blood strike
    /cast [modifier:shift] rune strike

If you hold shift, it does a rune strike with your blood strike. You could instead use [nomodifier:shift] if you want it to not rune strike if you are holding shift.
    Last edited by zaubade; 02-01-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    On my warrior, I mapped Heroic Strike to mousewheel up. It lets me do it manually without it bein as much of a pain--just keep scrolling up as long as I want Heroic Strike.

Couldn't you do the same for rune strike?

I think that would be a nice compromise between manual and automatic.
    I like this idea alot, I'm going to try and do it manually as well as this way to see what gives the most control. Outside of RP control, one of the key things I wanted to work on was maximizing my threat control especially in AE situations. My spec is 2H Frost so having control of AE mobs isn't hard, however it's easy to see how choosing the RS target over just DnD>HB>BB could be beneficial. Especially in tougher encounters that (would seem to) require double diseases. At the end of the day the TPS isn't going to change much, but having better control simply means the healer and DPS have more room for error.

Meh I just do it manually, I'd rather not be burning rp if I don't have to.. besides thanks to chill of the throne you won't get to use it nearly as much
    gogo RS mechanic!

+ Reply to Thread