View Poll Results: Queuing in the random dungeon finder as tank and dps what % of the time do you tank?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • 99% - 100%

    71 87.65%
  • 76% - 98%

    4 4.94%
  • 51% - 75%

    2 2.47%
  • 26% - 50%

    1 1.23%
  • 0% - 25%

    3 3.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Random dungeon finder - role check

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    318

    Random dungeon finder - role check

    This is for anyone that uses the random dungeon finder, that queues as both tank and dps. When you queue as being able to fill both tank and dps roles, how many times have you actually gone into a random group to fill the dps role?

    For example, for the past two weeks I've been queuing in the random dungeon finder (I'm harvesting emblems) ticking both the tank and the dps boxes. I've honestly lost count of the number of dungeons I've completed in this time. The thing is, I cannot recall one time where (when I've had tank and dps boxes ticked) I've ever ported into a dungeon to do anything other than tank. My theory (which is not founded in any scientific and statistical base) is that if you queue in the random dungeon finder as both tank and dps, 99% of the time you'll end up tanking.

    So when you queue as both tank and dps, approximately what percentage of the time do you end up tanking the instance?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    37
    There is only one instance where any of my alts have queued as tank/dps and been asked to dps, and it's normal trial of the champion (ie. all the newbie tanks want their trinket ).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canadaland
    Posts
    17
    Even the combo of tank/healer when signing up always has me tanking. In a small sample of about ten runs, one I was assigned to heal.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    189
    On this toon, I only tank - Prot/Prot for progression reasons. But on my DK alt, I queue her as Tank/DPS, and I can honestly say she has never been assigned a DD role for a random.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,344
    My pala has tank/healer spec and has been asked to heal sometimes, all my other tanks only get to do that, up to a point where I don't even queue as DPS anymore on my warrior & Druid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    AZ (Zonie)
    Posts
    376
    Only once, have I DPS'd, when checking both boxes. On my Priest alt, I have yet to not be heals, when checking both. No surprise, there.

    I have been asked to tank, about 6 times, when I was DPS, and the tank left, for whatever reason, or non-reason. I really don't like that, as, for me, it's a whole different mind-set, and if I wanted to tank, I would have selected that, to start with! Plus, sometimes, I've gotten the feeling I was being manipulated into it, by someone who really wasn't a tank, but signed up as one...

    "Hey, bro, you wanna tank, you're better geared for it, than me?"

    "Oh, really, is that why you aren't wearing any plate?"
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinks View Post
    There is only one instance where any of my alts have queued as tank/dps and been asked to dps, and it's normal trial of the champion (ie. all the newbie tanks want their trinket ).
    Or normal Halls of Reflection, where you can wind up in those groups with a DPS warrior, 2 retadins and a holydin, and each of them will be rolling on the shield if it drops.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Libicocco View Post
    Or normal Halls of Reflection, where you can wind up in those groups with a DPS warrior, 2 retadins and a holydin, and each of them will be rolling on the shield if it drops.
    Quoted for truth. I ran normal HoR five times yesterday. Three times I had the same holydin looking for the shield, two of those times I got the same arms warrior looking for the shield and unrelated but true... four of those times was the same hunter looking for a cloak. The holydin said it was runs 10, 11, and 12 for him that day and not once did the shield drop. Eff that shield. I saw the same dagger on every run.

    On topic however, I have never been picked up by the dungeon finder as anything other than a tank. Frankly I'm about to start dealing with the 10+ minute queues as DPS because I would like to get more experience under my belt in the role and I need more upgrades from DPS drops than I do for my tanking set.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    191
    My Paladin is Prot/Ret. Never do I get to be DPS if I check both.
    My Priest is Holy/Shadow. Never do I get to be DPS if I check both.

    Neither is at all surprising really, given the average queue lengths for the 3 roles (Tank = 2 seconds, Healer = 10 seconds, DPS = 10 Minutes)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    275
    The only time I'll get a DPS roll is if I cue with a guild group with some people who also have a dual spec tank.
    My healer alt works basically the same way.
    This shouldn't come as a surprise though. There's a reason tanks get instant cues, Healers get super short cues, and DPS usually afk out of cues, making tanks and healers have to wait!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    470
    Just imagine a strange world where tanks and healers where in abundance, but dpser's were a rare thing indeed...

    So much different then now, where tanks and healers are out there, but good dpser's are a thing of legend...

    ;-)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13
    I have never been picked for dps on my Warrior and Shaman. Stories from people say the same thing. Except for one retadin in Norm HoR. At the beginning I let everyone know that I would not roll on anything but the shield. The retadin said "oh I need it to" then he claimed that he queued for dps or tank and was chosen for dps.

    Now, we all know it is possible for this to happen, but doubtful. The rest of the group supported me, I really didn't see an issue forming. The pally wouldn't stop complaining about it, then one of the dps started a vote kick.

    All this to say "Communication is key" and if you act mature then there is a good chance that the rest of the group will support you in your tanking ways.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    23
    I have two tanks, they both check "tank or dps" and they both have "The Patient" title. One of them was picked for dps one time out of all those runs (Halls of Stone - go figure). It took me two pulls to realize what had happened, and three more to change spec, gear, and stance - surprised the daylights out of me.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    318
    The reason I raised this was cos I believe that if someone is tanking an instance they should get first dubs on any tank gear that drops (or same with heals). I copped a spray for suggesting something like this and the general arguement was "are you psychic? How do you know I didn't queue as both?). Now I'm not psychic but based on my experience if some queues as both tank and dps, it's almost a sure thing that they'll end up tanking. Therefore if I'm tanking and a tank item drops that I need, I shouldn't have to roll against 3 other people that haven't nutted up to tank in the first place.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,897
    I answered a different question but same means to an end.

    On my alt priest I que as healer and dps, and it is almost 50/50 about when I would be dps and when I would be healing. And even when I get in as DPS it is still instant, which confuses me.

    It really seemed to depend on time of day also for which I would get.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    580
    I've got 3 tanks and 1 dps i regularly random dungeon with (as well as a healer whom i haven't bothered much with since RD was put in). It's just too painful to not tank them anymore. Honestly if my hunter could tank with BM spec and a turtle/bear, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    It's because of the severe lack of tanks in the queue, it's a disparity that, frankly, I would imagine Blizzard has discussed though I'm not sure what they can do about it. The only time you'll likely be DPS if you queue both is if someone, like me, queues as just a tank and you happen to have that 1% chance of being in the top of the queue when I enter it. That would actually be a far more interesting point to research, to see how many times, when you were invited to a dungeon for a role other than tanking, how many times that tank queued as both as well or just tank. Because then it brings up a measure of how does it decide if you both have that role? gear?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by swollenpickles View Post
    The reason I raised this was cos I believe that if someone is tanking an instance they should get first dubs on any tank gear that drops (or same with heals). I copped a spray for suggesting something like this and the general arguement was "are you psychic? How do you know I didn't queue as both?). Now I'm not psychic but based on my experience if some queues as both tank and dps, it's almost a sure thing that they'll end up tanking. Therefore if I'm tanking and a tank item drops that I need, I shouldn't have to roll against 3 other people that haven't nutted up to tank in the first place.
    I disagree. Although in general I would be polite and defer on loot to the tank of the group, I do not think that should be required in 5 mans. People run 5 mans (generally) to get gear or get emblems for gear. If someone wants to be a tank, the easiest way outside of AH & Rep is to run 5 mans. To come along and say "Well, if you want to get tank gear you need to already be a tank." is a circular argument that just results in either a continuing shortage of tanks or in you joining heroics with tanks with 20K HP and green "of the Defense" gear.

    For raids... absolutely main spec roles are the rule.
    For 5 mans... It's the basic starting point of gear accrual and should be available for everyone.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    252
    3 tanks, all of which queue as tank/dps. Out of the last 150 combined runs or so, never once been selected as a dps. Which is fine. I have a rogue I bring just for the fun.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmaul View Post
    If someone wants to be a tank, the easiest way outside of AH & Rep is to run 5 mans. To come along and say "Well, if you want to get tank gear you need to already be a tank." is a circular argument that just results in either a continuing shortage of tanks or in you joining heroics with tanks with 20K HP and green "of the Defense" gear.
    I don't think it's a circular argument. If you want to get tank gear, you should start tanking for it, and if you can't immediately jump in and tank H HoR you should obviously be working up to it. You can build up a decent set via higher level normals, rep rewards and then the easier heroics. If you are wanting to tank at 80 and you are still in greens with 20K you haven't really made an honest effort to build up any kind of tank set. I don't think I'll get much disagreement there.

    A quick scan of rep rewards and you could be up and tanking the easier heroics for badges without much drama:
    Breastplate of the Solemn Council


    Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions
    Special Issue Legplates
    Fireproven Gauntlets
    Sabatons of Draconic Vigor

    I'm sure there are drops from the normal hall of lightening etc that can fill in the gaps and get you well and truly out of greens and above 20K hp before you hit 80 even.

    I'm tired of missing out on gear cause ret pallys roll need on off spec tanking gear they may use one day (I'm trying to build a tank set), when i would obviously make use of it immediately. I still reckon that if someone is in the instance tanking, and a tanking upgrade drops, then their need should take priority of everyone else. If the tank doesn't need it, then it's fine for off spec needing to come into play.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts